PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to find hand dyed wool I want on etsy

gigglinggoblin
27-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I know there is loads but I cant figure out how to just get the UK sellers, I dont want to wait for international shipping, I want it NOW! <<stamps foot>>

Anyway I want dk or thicker, nice wool / silk/ cashmere/ alpaca - dont mind, as long as its nice and I want it in bublegum pink type colour but I want the sock yarn type which makes stripes itself so needs to be various pink shades.

So if you know of the yarn I want or if you know of any websites I can look at or if you know how I sort out the uk sellers from the non uk I would be grateful. Thanks!

goldy1
27-11-2008, 08:12 PM
try here. http://www.folksy.com/search?q=yarn+&commit=Search&t=handmade

All UK

gigglinggoblin
27-11-2008, 08:19 PM
thanks, I have looked on folksy and there is some lovely stuff but not the weight I want, I am too impatient for 4 ply!

goldy1
27-11-2008, 08:30 PM
don't know the ply but you could e-mail them http://www.woollyshepherd.co.uk/catalogue.asp

auntynet
27-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Finally - a chance to plug my step-daughters website. She's based in Yorkshire and spe******es in sock wool. She hand dyes her wools in her tiny little utility room at home. If she hasn't got what you're looking for she will dye a batch specially for customers.

www.knotanotherknitter.com (http://www.knotanotherknitter.com)

hope you find what you're looking for and if you do order from her, mention her "wikid step-mom".

ElaineJ
27-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the link Auntynet - I need a contrasting or toning wool to go with some I'm crocheting into a climbing hat for Child (did one last winter and felted it - but she says it's too warm a lot of the time).

Recycled Bag Lady
28-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Oooh, some lovely yarns on that site Auntynet- will keep that one for future use! Thanks :D

auntynet
28-11-2008, 12:53 AM
You're welcome.

Been wanting to push her site for a while now but not had the chance. She works full time as an ambulance despatcher and she taught herself to knit a couple of years ago and decided to have a go at dying her own yarns as she couldn't find the colours she wanted. She's a member of a few knitting forums and her friends on there asked her to do some colours for them. She loves doing it and decided to create a website and make some money from it. She doesn't make much profit out of it so now her dream is to be able to make enough money from her wool so that she can cut down her hours and work part time. (Where have I heard that before? ;))

Anyway - I figured I'd add the link to my signature now as there are a lot of knitters on the forum and you never know, they might just buy from her . . . . . welllllllllllll - you gotta help your kids out whenever you can. :p

ElaineJ
28-11-2008, 01:29 AM
So if I post a length of my yarn (saying recommended by wicked, or otherwise, step-mum) and an s.a.e. would she send me a sample strand or two back?

auntynet
28-11-2008, 01:41 AM
Couldn't say for sure but I reckon if you're enclosing an SAE then I don't see why not. I know I would if I was trying to bag myself a customer. I will txt her tomorrow to find out for you.

jenig12
28-11-2008, 07:12 AM
Cheers Auntynet for the link, these yarns are lovely

The 8th Gem
28-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Wonderful site.....many tears ago my Mum being a spinner and myself did a whole range of hand spun sample wools and we dyed them with natural dyes....the colours were so lovely
Think your DL has a winner there love the site

craftynclothy
28-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Mamalonglegs on Etsy is UK based and will dye to order as well. I have some gorgeous fibre from her. :D

Recycled Bag Lady
28-11-2008, 09:01 PM
You're welcome.

Been wanting to push her site for a while now but not had the chance. She works full time as an ambulance despatcher and she taught herself to knit a couple of years ago and decided to have a go at dying her own yarns as she couldn't find the colours she wanted. She's a member of a few knitting forums and her friends on there asked her to do some colours for them. She loves doing it and decided to create a website and make some money from it. She doesn't make much profit out of it so now her dream is to be able to make enough money from her wool so that she can cut down her hours and work part time. (Where have I heard that before? ;))

Anyway - I figured I'd add the link to my signature now as there are a lot of knitters on the forum and you never know, they might just buy from her . . . . . welllllllllllll - you gotta help your kids out whenever you can. :p

Too right you have to!
I've just been chatting to some knitters on a chicken forum who were looking for sock wool - I sent them the link and they got quite excited! ;)

auntynet
28-11-2008, 11:53 PM
So if I post a length of my yarn (saying recommended by wicked, or otherwise, step-mum) and an s.a.e. would she send me a sample strand or two back?

Spoke to her today and she said yes, no problem. If you contact her via the website she'll try to sort you out.

Too right you have to!
I've just been chatting to some knitters on a chicken forum who were looking for sock wool - I sent them the link and they got quite excited! ;)

Thanks for that Cathy - I reckon if she makes a few sales out of my marketing then it must be worth a pair of her fab socks. ;) I bought her a book of sock patterns as one of her xmas pressies last year and she promised me a pair then but so far they haven't materialised . . . . will wait and see what this xmas brings before I remind her. :D

ElaineJ
29-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks Auntynet

auntynet
30-11-2008, 01:47 AM
Just wanna say thanks for the order to someone from Jersey.

Gem (my step daughter) rang me today to thank me for the plug cos she got an order and reckons its via this forum.

jenig12
30-11-2008, 10:34 AM
No, thank you for the link- really looking forward to receiving ithttp://www.craftsforum.co.uk/images/icons/icon7.gif

coxabey
07-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks SOOO much for these wonderful links - the wools are exactly what I've been looking for! Have bought some gorgeous stuff on ebay, but I needed to find someone whose prices I could count on (iyswim!)