PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone rank well on Google?

GEM
26-11-2008, 03:30 AM
Just wondering if anyone ranks well on Google for any craft related terms?
If not where do you get your site's traffic from?

Thanks in adv..
James.

matt.chatterley
26-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Just wondering if anyone ranks well on Google for any craft related terms?
If not where do you get your site's traffic from?

Thanks in adv..
James.

It's hard. Even our corporate site currently only has what I would call 'really good' rankings for location specific queries (e.g. "ecommerce jersey" - page 1, position 4) - then again there are some seriously big guys competing in our space!

More relevant is probably Jersey Craft Shop (http://www.jerseycraftshop.com) - our guinea pig site, which is also craft related. :D

Right now they are in a similar position, whereby they rank excellently for any related search involving "jersey" as a keyword (location specific), but the site does not rank very well for global searches.

Often this situation tends to indicate that so called "on-site SEO" is OK, but off-site (link building) needs some attention - definitely the case with JCS + our site, as we are only just beginning to do link building for them now!

That said, about half the traffic on JCS comes from pay-per-click advertising (mostly on the content network, and targetted at craft relevant sites, forums, etc). Some trickles in via referrals from other sites, e.g. forums, where Mark has a link in his signature.

If you're looking to build up your site - the first thing you should probably do is check out Google Analytics and see if you can get it installed. After a couple of weeks, it will be able to give you all these sorts of stats (in a nice clear, concise way which is good for newcomers + experts!) - and then you can figure out which area you need to work on!

robin wood
26-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Not sure how rankings work but if I search on "wooden bowl" I am top and on "spoon carving course" I am up there too. I think a large amount of my business is returning customers who use the website as an easy method of finding what I am up to and contacting me.

matt.chatterley
26-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Not sure how rankings work but if I search on "wooden bowl" I am top and on "spoon carving course" I am up there too. I think a large amount of my business is returning customers who use the website as an easy method of finding what I am up to and contacting me.

Good rankings for those keywords. :)

Admittedly they are "lower volume" than many (e.g. google lists approx 200,000 results for 'spoon carving course') - basically you rank well because the text searched for is found verbatim in the page and the title as well.

I suspect your domain name also helps on "wooden bowl", as both contain the fragment "wood"!

robin wood
26-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Good rankings for those keywords. :)

basically you rank well because the text searched for is found verbatim in the page and the title as well.

That is no coincidence. When I want to put a new product on the web I think "if I was looking for that what search terms could I use" I would rather have a few hundred folk visit the site that had searched for "wooden bowl" or "spoon carving" than thousands who had searched on something that was less me, say "crafts gifts" or "wooden items" and no doubt it would be harder to top those rankings anyway.

swirlyarts
26-11-2008, 10:57 AM
We used to have a page rank of 5 for Cuteable but then google moved us down the rankings to 3 because we use Text Link Ads on there. We also use ad words (which is a google thing) but they obviously don't like the competition and to be honest TLA brings us in much more than ad words do :)

matt.chatterley
26-11-2008, 11:07 AM
That is no coincidence. When I want to put a new product on the web I think "if I was looking for that what search terms could I use" I would rather have a few hundred folk visit the site that had searched for "wooden bowl" or "spoon carving" than thousands who had searched on something that was less me, say "crafts gifts" or "wooden items" and no doubt it would be harder to top those rankings anyway.

True on all counts. While searches for more generic terms may bring in some valuable traffic, the odds of a solid conversion from a specific search are very high - so it's well worth pursuing these "niche" keywords. :D

Autumn Faerie
26-11-2008, 11:49 AM
My new website is almost non-existent on Google, there's zillions before me, BUT thanks to this forum I got a client, she searched for Christmas earrings and my post on here about some I'd just made came up on the first page. She clicked on the link, read my post, liked the pics and used the link in my sig to get my website.

Even more amazingly, I only opened my website on Friday night, put the link in my sig on here on Saturday morning and she did the search Sat afternoon! How's that for a bit of luck :p

matt.chatterley
26-11-2008, 11:52 AM
My new website is almost non-existent on Google, there's zillions before me, BUT thanks to this forum I got a client, she searched for Christmas earrings and my post on here about some I'd just made came up on the first page. She clicked on the link, read my post, liked the pics and used the link in my sig to get my website.

Even more amazingly, I only opened my website on Friday night, put the link in my sig on here on Saturday morning and she did the search Sat afternoon! How's that for a bit of luck :p

Yay! Thats pretty good. Can I make two suggestions about your site? :D

1. See if you can edit the HTML (is it MrSite?) so that each page has at least an 'H1' and an 'H2' tag.

2. Write more about your 'SOS' - what a great idea - you should really make a big selling point out of that - write more about it, for a start!

Autumn Faerie
26-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Yay! Thats pretty good. Can I make two suggestions about your site? :D

1. See if you can edit the HTML (is it MrSite?) so that each page has at least an 'H1' and an 'H2' tag.

2. Write more about your 'SOS' - what a great idea - you should really make a big selling point out of that - write more about it, for a start!

Thanks Matt, yes it is MrSite, but scuse my ignorance, what is a H1 & H2 tag?

I was thinking I ought to put more about my SOS on my home page, glad you think it's a good idea. :)

matt.chatterley
26-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks Matt, yes it is MrSite, but scuse my ignorance, what is a H1 & H2 tag?

I was thinking I ought to put more about my SOS on my home page, glad you think it's a good idea. :)

This W3C article (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#h-7.5.5) (a bit technical) gives the lowdown. Essentially the 'h' stands for heading, and there are 6 levels (h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6).

H1 is the 'main heading tag' for a page. Normally we use this to contain the site logo or name of the site, or main tagline, e.g. <h1>Cards, Jewellery and Gifts - Jan's Cards</h1> - then you would use H2 to give a title for the page e.g. <h2>Select, Order, Send - Your cards delivered for you!</h2>.

Rules of thumb - one H1 per page, same for all pages on the site, one H2 per page, then one H3 per section - so as you go down the 'tree' you can have more of each type. No need to use all 6, unless you have that many different types of content to demark! If you can wrap the left hand links in H4, that may also be a good one to do.

Basically the search engines give a little bit more weight to text found in H tags. If you can also make these hyperlinks to pages in your site, even better. I hope that helps - if not feel free to quiz me more!

SOS is a great idea - from the SEO point of view, you may need to describe it as something different - or at least get words people will be looking for in there, but definitely. Add a short paragraph to the home page, linking to the SOS page, and get some more text in there to describe the service and how wonderful it is!

While it's not a USP per se, it's a great benefit and a good reason for people to use you rather than someone else (apart from the fact that your cards are fab - I love the one with the ducks). :D

FairyAlchemy
26-11-2008, 12:15 PM
I get #1 for my main keywords (one of my urls as well so helps) I was aiming for 1st page, when I built the site a few mths back it was only really aimed at the search engines and not expected to sell(2009 was my planned start for my little business) The aim was to have the domain and seo rankings submitted then work on the way I want to site to look after the search engines had sent their spiders out.
argh circumstance and either them being quicker than I expected or me being slower (probaly slower) and so much happening here means I didnt complete a designed site and still have the place holding site there. I'm not that fab at front ends of sites but used to work with a search engine company.
None of my products are tagged and I only have the front searched so redoing it is easier if only i could find where I left my techie brain cell...

The more you post in places like this forum or other sites and include your web address the better ranking you will get. Darn it must put the main address in my signature then lol... if this does not make sense its because the coffee hasnt kicked in yet....:p

Autumn Faerie
26-11-2008, 12:20 PM
This W3C article (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#h-7.5.5) (a bit technical) gives the lowdown. Essentially the 'h' stands for heading, and there are 6 levels (h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6).

H1 is the 'main heading tag' for a page. Normally we use this to contain the site logo or name of the site, or main tagline, e.g. <h1>Cards, Jewellery and Gifts - Jan's Cards</h1> - then you would use H2 to give a title for the page e.g. <h2>Select, Order, Send - Your cards delivered for you!</h2>.

Rules of thumb - one H1 per page, same for all pages on the site, one H2 per page, then one H3 per section - so as you go down the 'tree' you can have more of each type. No need to use all 6, unless you have that many different types of content to demark! If you can wrap the left hand links in H4, that may also be a good one to do.

Basically the search engines give a little bit more weight to text found in H tags. If you can also make these hyperlinks to pages in your site, even better. I hope that helps - if not feel free to quiz me more!

SOS is a great idea - from the SEO point of view, you may need to describe it as something different - or at least get words people will be looking for in there, but definitely. Add a short paragraph to the home page, linking to the SOS page, and get some more text in there to describe the service and how wonderful it is!

While it's not a USP per se, it's a great benefit and a good reason for people to use you rather than someone else (apart from the fact that your cards are fab - I love the one with the ducks). :D

Thanks Matt, it's good to have access to so much knowledge on this forum as well as all the crafting advice.

Will have a re-think on my tags to include the SOS bit. :)

matt.chatterley
26-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks Matt, it's good to have access to so much knowledge on this forum as well as all the crafting advice.

Will have a re-think on my tags to include the SOS bit. :)

Glad to help - work takes up all my time so not much to post craft-wise, but I do enjoy reading it, so it's nice to give something back, even if it's a bit off-topic at times! :mf:

staceyjlew
26-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Sorry to sound dumb, but what is SOS?? (in web terms)

Stacey

matt.chatterley
26-11-2008, 01:02 PM

Stacey

Nothing at all! But on Autumn Faerie's site, it stands for Select, Order, Sent (http://www.janscardsandcrafts.co.uk/page8.htm), and I think its a really neat idea for crafty cards. :D

Autumn Faerie
26-11-2008, 01:16 PM

Stacey

Nothing at all! But on Autumn Faerie's site, it stands for Select, Order, Sent (http://www.janscardsandcrafts.co.uk/page8.htm), and I think its a really neat idea for crafty cards. :D

Thanks Matt for the explanation.

Sorry Staey, it's just me taking over the thread :p

staceyjlew
26-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks Matt for the explanation.

Sorry Staey, it's just me taking over the thread :p

Ah I see!! Thought I was out of the lingo loop for a min :)

Great idea though!

GEM
26-11-2008, 02:05 PM
That's well done, you're also No1 for the term "wooden bowls" (with an S).

Hey Matt, Nice post about the htags, great to see you here (I see you on UKBF)

What do you know about Mr.Site? Can you actually add htags to your content? I thought it was a wysiwyg editor?

regards
James.

Autumn Faerie
26-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Ah I see!! Thought I was out of the lingo loop for a min :)

Great idea though!

Thanks Stacey :)

It'd be nice if I was in the lingo loop for a min :D

matt.chatterley
26-11-2008, 03:10 PM

What do you know about Mr.Site? Can you actually add htags to your content? I thought it was a wysiwyg editor?

regards
James.

Thanks James - yep, here, UK BF and 1 or 2 others :D

I know very little about MrSite to be honest, though a lot of folks here use it - I assume there must be a way to put h-tags in, although it may not be obviously - probably select text and pick heading style from somewhere?

If not, quite a big omission - hard to believe they could build up the number of users they have if things on that scale were missing!

edenworkshops
26-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi

I have two websites from which I sell craft related project kits & supplies.

One site is currently #3 on the first page of Google for our primary search term or keyword phrase.

But remember a ranking on Google only relates to a single page of your website.

In our case it is the home page that ranks well.

The reason it ranks so well is down to several factors.

The niche I sell to is quite small so there are not a whole load a big players competing against me.

It is also a very high content site; it looks good and is very readable as well as being very informative.

I write good manuals on my subject, package them well and give them away free from the sites, this helps spread the word.

I write up 4 blogs a week and in all of them I create back links to my sites, this is one of the best way of creating backlinks.

I took the trouble to optimise every page on the site, so I know for a fact my onsite SEO is good enough, but constant tweaking will probably be needed as you learn more about the subject, for example do you know how to write a good headline? Probably the most important part of your on site optimisation consists of writing a compelling page title, it is this title that people see in Google when they search, so getting this right is important.

Off site optimisation is just as important as on site optimisation. Backlinks are an important part of what you need, and one of the best ways to get them is by creating them yourself in your blog.

You can waste a great deal of time trying to get backlinks from other sites who are not really interested for whatever reason. I once wrote to 30 websites asking if they would consider exchanging links and only got one link, though to be fair it was a very good one.

By all means still try to get backlinks by exchanging links, a good mixture is a good thing, but with my 4 blogs I get 8 backlinks a week and they soon mount up.

Another good way to get backlinks is to write articles on your pet subject, make a name for yourself and get those articles published.

Oh yes by the way, all of these ideas cost you nothing, I paid nothing to get ourselves to the top of page 1 in Google, nothing except time and my personal favourite website building software, this software actually tells you as you go along what parts of the web site need optimising...I love it but it does cost a bit.

You can if you have deep pockets go the way of adwords and pay people to come to your site, and there are truly endless other people who will try to sell you their method for a "one time only fee".

Some ideas to contemplate perhaps?

Richard

P.S. Check the links to my sites, have a look at the bookbinding website, it is this one that hovers around the top 3/5 on Google.

GEM
26-11-2008, 03:16 PM
If not, quite a big omission - hard to believe they could build up the number of users they have if things on that scale were missing!
I agree, I don't understand it myself.

If you look at the previously posted site http://www.janscardsandcrafts.co.uk/ see where it says "Welcome to Jan's cards and crafts" that line should be in H1 by default - but it isn't.

I think Mr.Site has grown because
a) people don't know what they are doing and buy anything
b) Sites that are hosted there are SO niche that they almost stand a chance of ranking as there's so little competition.

Personally I'd like to see Mr.Site go to the wall and refund all it's customers :)

matt.chatterley
26-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks Richard, all good stuff.

As is repeated time and time again - content is king. :D

You've also quite neatly covered the reasons why the SEO services we offer are all done on a time and materials basis. We tell the customer what can be done, and how long it will take - then they pay for what they want to do, as and when they want to do it.

I get quite worked up when I see these mailshots along the lines of "We will get you page one in Google for only 800!", as you can imagine.

Writing articles and sending them out to the various online article distribution sites is a really strong option for crafters - because the scope to write tutorials and how-to guides within your own craft area is just great. Good backlinks, and lots of attention!

matt.chatterley
26-11-2008, 03:26 PM

If you look at the previously posted site http://www.janscardsandcrafts.co.uk/ see where it says "Welcome to Jan's cards and crafts" that line should be in H1 by default - but it isn't.

b) Sites that are hosted there are SO niche that they almost stand a chance of ranking as there's so little competition.

Personally I'd like to see Mr.Site go to the wall and refund all it's customers :)

I'll comment in a reserved fashion, but please bear in mind that I am utterly, totally biased. :D

In addition to "a" - a lot of people just don't have the budget to employ someone to do it for them or the time (and desire) to acquire the technical skills to do it themselves.

For people in these categories, it's not a bad option. It's really cheap, and it gets you up and running - if nothing else it's totally worth it as a proof of concept. I suspect anyone who achieves a decent turn-over via one of these instant website packages (MrS is by no means the only one - there are loads), will begin to look at alternatives after a while.

b - Yeah, but no, but yeah.. :mf: You'd be amazed how many sites link up to some of the keywords which associate with niches - particularly in the crafts arena!

I must also add that loads of people here are happy with MrSite - but I would be a bit shocked if h-tags are impossible. :)

0103media
26-11-2008, 03:39 PM
As a SEO for over 12yrs now my advice is to seek seo advice within a seo forums and not a crafts forum. Why ? Because the advice will be focused and many members will be able to help.

Places to get advice:
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/
http://forums.seochat.com/
http://www.seorefugee.com/forums/
http://forums.seroundtable.com/

To keep up to date these blog are worth reading:
http://www.seroundtable.com/
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/
http://www.blogstorm.co.uk/
http://www.seoptimise.com/blog/
http://www.timnash.co.uk/
http://www.seomoz.org/blog
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/

Many of the above are run by friends of mine and are full of so much advice!

Hope that helps.

GEM
26-11-2008, 03:50 PM
As a SEO for over 12yrs now my advice is to seek seo advice within a seo forums and not a crafts forum. Why ? Because the advice will be focused and many members will be able to help.
Good advice :) I think my post was along the lines of I can't fathom where sites are getting any traffic from, not necessarily the specifics of SEO.
Obviously places like this forum (and the related directory) offer an opportunity of some awareness, eBay and Etsy are others... but there seems to be little interest in the searchengines. It could be because I'm looking at things from a business perspective rather than a 'hobbyist' :)

James.

Autumn Faerie
26-11-2008, 04:05 PM

You're right, I don't know what I'm doing in computer terms, but when I wanted to get myself a website, as a new business I couldn't justify spending a lot of money on having it designed and Mr Site does offer a simple package, for non-techie people, like me, to use. It's cheap and if I find my business doesn't take off, I haven't spent a lot of money on it. When I come to renew in a year's time, I'll be in a much better position to decide where to go with my website. What I also like about Mr Site is that I can go in & edit my shop & details anytime I like, without having to ask a third party that designed my site everytime I want to do something.

A lot of people on here use Mr Site and recommend it, because like me, they're crafters and not necessarily technical people and this works.

I don't know anything about tags & H1 & SEO's all of that is just gibberish to me. Some of the people on this site have been fantastic, Matt & Cupcake to name a few have gone out of their way to help me out. But at the end of the day, I'm a crafter, with a website and I expect to get most of my traffic through meeting people at fairs, handing out my details & from recipients of my cards (which have my web address on the back), and very occasionally I'll get lucky on google like I did. I don't expect to have a busy website, with loads of traffic coming from Google and if I don't rate that highly TBH it's not a biggie for me.

And one of the main reasons I'd avoid a spe******t website is that I'd just feel too intimated to ask a question, I probably wouldn't know how to ask a question and highly unlikely I'd understand the answer, reading most of the posts on this thread makes my head spin! So by asking on here, where I feel comfortable and know I'll get as much help as people can give is just fine by me.

MrSwirl
27-11-2008, 05:16 PM

I'll half agree with point (a) - most people that use Mr Site (or anything similar) don't know what they are doing. I know, for example, that Swirly has absolutely no interest in learning web design, stylesheeting, HTML and FTP. So MrSite would appeal (if she didn't have MrSwirl instead!!)

I wouldn't use MrSite because (even though I'm not a web developer by profession, or even by choice), I know enough to know that I can do the same thing myself - I designed the website for a subdivision of ICI in 1996, so I know a little bit. However, I'm very technical (and geeky), and that's what I like - Swirly is a crafter, she's not a web developer and (no matter how much I sometimes wish she would!) she never will be.

pepsi
27-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Blimey ! I Googled "Ooak Fairy" and on the second page a thread I posted on this forum with my Christmas Fairy came up Gasp ! .but I dont sell them :o. Sods law eh?
However I have no idea who would Google "Ooak Fairy" apart form me, so prob wont count hahaha!! xxx :)

Pauline@weddingtreasures
27-11-2008, 07:40 PM
oh gawd I am totally 100 per cent plus more confused about H1's, SOS's and all thing to do with website IT things.....I think I need to look at somebody taking over and running my site because I'm rubbish at it!!!

:mf::mf::mf::mf:

xrheax
27-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Most of my customers come from word of mouth or through a wedding forum I am a member of. One order has been through another website posting a review of some of my items.

I don't think many people find my website by accident, most of them come looking for it. I haven't a clue about all the different terms that are flying around, I just like to make stuff and have fun doing it! A website to me is basically just a place where customers can find out more information and see some previous work - it works for me! :D

MrSwirl
27-11-2008, 08:35 PM
oh gawd I am totally 100 per cent plus more confused about H1's, SOS's and all thing to do with website IT things.....I think I need to look at somebody taking over and running my site because I'm rubbish at it!!!

:mf::mf::mf::mf:

SOS isn't an IT thing - it's something that Autumn Fairie has as a feature of their site.

H1 / H2...H6 is a way of marking text on a webpage as a header. You could (for example) say "make this text big" by controlling the font size, to show that it's a page title. Or, you could say "make this text a header level 1 style", which can do the same thing.

If you use the <H1> tag, then you can change the formatting for everything that is marked as a "header 1" in one go, and it changes the style for the whole site.

e.g. On day 1, you want all header 1 to be in Arial font, size 16pt.

This can be coded as "make this particular piece of text Arial, size 16", or "make this header 1".

Later on, you decide that you want all header 1 to be in courier font, size 18pt. If your pages say "make this particular piece of text Arial, size 16" then you need to change EVERY page, to change the font. If your pages say "make this header 1 style" then all you need to do is to modify the definition of "header style 1" from one font to the other. When you redefine the style, it impacts ALL the pages automatically.

If you are never going to change the page styles, then it's not going to make any difference; if you think you might change the style, then it's worth doing it right at the start, so that you have the ease of changing fonts just by redefining a style.

For example, on Cuteable, we have no <h1> tags. <h2> is defined as 17px, a border of 1 pixel, Verdana font, all in lowercase, and a specific colour. This means that every time we use a <h2> tag across the whole site, the formatting looks the same - I've changed it in the past, but only had to change one place rather than the 1500+ blog posts where they are used.

nattynetty
27-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Good advice :) I think my post was along the lines of I can't fathom where sites are getting any traffic from, not necessarily the specifics of SEO.
Obviously places like this forum (and the related directory) offer an opportunity of some awareness, eBay and Etsy are others... but there seems to be little interest in the searchengines. It could be because I'm looking at things from a business perspective rather than a 'hobbyist' :)

James.

Many members here have their website as an 'extra' to direct craft fair customers to and I'm sure it's an invaluable asset. I know from personal experience that I pick up business cards at craft fairs and like to look at the websites when I get home and have even bought online afterwards (as I'm not one for impulse buying me).

Also don't underestimate all the members here, many of us who have had websites for a few years rank highly on google for a number of key search terms, I'm at number 1 for certain products. Also, take a search for 'handmade candles' on google and you'll see our own Candles by Lisa appears on the first page at number 3 - not bad for a 'hobbyist' eh?

ThE_SeeKeR
25-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Ive done a large amount of seo on my craft shop. however only the front page of the new site is indexed and alot of the old site pages are still on google.

How long can it take google to update with the new pages and remove the old ones?

matt.chatterley
26-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Ive done a large amount of seo on my craft shop. however only the front page of the new site is indexed and alot of the old site pages are still on google.

How long can it take google to update with the new pages and remove the old ones?

Sadly it takes as long as it takes! Google will revisit and reindex your site at an interval which it chooses - although this is determined (to some extent) by the frequency at which your site changes.

To remove old pages you can:

1. Ensure they return an HTTP 404, e.g. remove them from the site completely (although this is not very human friendly - but there are ways around that)

2. Sign up for Google Webmaster Central (Webmaster Tools), and in the 'Tools' section, there is a bit where you can request removal of specific pages from the index. It takes a few days to go through, but works as long as the pages no longer exist.

Also, make sure that you submit an XML Sitemap via GWC when you update your site, as this can help to encourage it to re-index - try also making a blog post somewhere like Blogger, which links to your site for one of your keywords, as this may also help to trigger a crawl!

Happy Boxing Day ;)

ThE_SeeKeR
26-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks matt, i have setup the sitemap etc with google web tools. Do you know if there are any other useable tools for yahoo etc? have searched but no joy as of yet

AnnieAnna
27-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Don't be put off by the geeky thing.
I have to confess I have a geeky husband who got me Dreamweaver and helped me make my first website but after that I made 8? (I'm starting to loose count) websites just by looking - like an electrontic version of drawing cutting and pasting. HTML leaves me quaking in my shoes. I'm a what I see is what I want kinda girl.
Having said that I haven't introduced a shopping cart yet because it didn't suit the way my friends and I work. (Our stuff is so spe******ed we need to do a Spanish Inquisition on each customer - in a very nice way). My next project is going to need one so I'm lurking and taking all your advice to heart. My next website will be for my son who is going to become a rock star and make me a millionairemum :D . It would help if he sold some CDs first ;)

With the ranking on Google pages - my first websites appeared fairly quickly but in them thar 'old' days (10 years ago) there wasn't that much competition. "Little Chile", my last site, has taken 9 months to get on a Google first page. I was starting to get very very cross. I was hoping it would grow as a business online but I'm coming to the conclusion I'm going to have to don 3 layers of winter woolies and get out on the streets to get it noticed.

And the last observation to pass on is I have put free adverts anywhere I could but there is one that costs me an arm and a leg but is getting to potential customers and does bring them in. It's on a forum for people with the niche interest my friends are catering for. If you are curious you can follow the trail by googling "Annie the Pedlar".

Anyway may you all prosper on line in 2009,
AnnieAnna

matt.chatterley
27-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks matt, i have setup the sitemap etc with google web tools. Do you know if there are any other useable tools for yahoo etc? have searched but no joy as of yet

Not sure about tools, but you can make a submission to yahoo via their "Site Explorer": https://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/submit - Site Explorer also allows you to run a number of searches (e.g. link:yoursite.com) which will return various statistics - in the case of "link" it'll tell you how many other sites link to you!

ThE_SeeKeR
27-12-2008, 06:03 PM
cheers matt, yeh i know about the link: site: cache: etc. Its the same on google etcm but thanks for the info anyway.

Another good site ive been using is alexa and domaintools.

Alexa for traffic rankings and reach
domain tools for content seo etc.

matt.chatterley
27-12-2008, 07:04 PM
cheers matt, yeh i know about the link: site: cache: etc. Its the same on google etcm but thanks for the info anyway.

Another good site ive been using is alexa and domaintools.

Alexa for traffic rankings and reach
domain tools for content seo etc.

Yep, although interestingly, link: (linkdomain search) tends to be more useful in Yahoo - because it is allegedly "broken" in Google (doesn't return all links) - I did have a source for this rumour/information, but can't find it at the moment - it's drowning in my bookmarks somewhere!

The SEOQuake browser plugin is a good one, which combines a lot of these tools together (and gives you a nifty browser toolbar button for keyword density analysis).

You're right though - don't ignore Yahoo, it's more powerful than it is normally given credit for - although there is a large skew towards Google.

The other engines (live, ask, etc) tend to follow suit - so if you can get Google + Yahoo right, you'll be on a very solid standing.

Also don't forget the high quality directory submissions - particularly DMOZ (Open Directory Project), which powers a large number of directory sites!

hdflred
29-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Oh god I'm exhausted after reading this thread.............

I try to spend what spare time I have doing home SEO, I rank well on Yahoo for all my keywords and most of them on Google, but still on page 2 for "children's jewellery" which drives me mad. However I was pleased I came up in search engines after only 2 weeks and have moved upwards ever since (only launched in end of September)

I really want my site to be the main shop as it were and the fairs are the fun part for me (but I'm new and this may change!LOL)

Would love feed back good or bad............ I realise my home page is very wordy and in fact I don't really expect people to read it, but use it more as a tool for key word repetition, rightly or wrongly.

matt.chatterley
29-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Oh god I'm exhausted after reading this thread.............

I try to spend what spare time I have doing home SEO, I rank well on Yahoo for all my keywords and most of them on Google, but still on page 2 for "children's jewellery" which drives me mad. However I was pleased I came up in search engines after only 2 weeks and have moved upwards ever since (only launched in end of September)

I really want my site to be the main shop as it were and the fairs are the fun part for me (but I'm new and this may change!LOL)

Would love feed back good or bad............ I realise my home page is very wordy and in fact I don't really expect people to read it, but use it more as a tool for key word repetition, rightly or wrongly.

Hi Harriet. You are near the top of pg2 for Children's Jewellery, though :D

On the keyword repetition front, do be careful - for the phrase "Children's Jewellery" (as a three word combo - because it can be considered as split at the apostrophe, technically), your "density" is approx 9.5 - download the "SEOQuake" toolbar, or use a similar keyword density tool.

Anything above 4-5 can get picked up as spam/keyword stuffing by some search engines - and if you did this for several kws on one page, you would be running the risk of getting sandboxed (e.g. removed from the engines when they look for spam).

I'd also suggest you tweak some of the links in your text - so that at least 1 instance of "children's jewellery" links to another page on your site.

There are also no heading tags (H1, H2, etc) in your landing page - this might be just enough to give you a bump onto page 1 for some terms, if they are used cleverly!

Good luck - and you're right, it's exhausting, time consuming work - which is why it tends to be so expensive if you hire someone to do it!! :D

hdflred
29-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi Matt

thanks for such a quick reply (and the blog follow although I need to improve my blogging skills)

I didn't realise you could have too much of a good thing with key words so thanks for the tip.

The H1 thing is a problem for me as it is a pre-coded site (1&1 eshop) and I can't remember where the Headers where when I started and now I have messed with it so much I can't see them any more. I could insert them, but I don't know the code and the help desk is not very helpful.......

Thanks again

matt.chatterley
29-12-2008, 11:43 AM
No worries - glad to help! :D

I've had run-ins with 1&1 in the past - and they weren't massively helpful, so good luck on that one :(

ThE_SeeKeR
29-12-2008, 11:49 AM
With 1&1 do you have html access? if so you could manually add in the h1 h2 tags

hdflred
29-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Hi

Yes I could add the codes manually but I don't know what they would be.

I'm pretty sure they were there when I started but I lost them on the way, before I realised they were important. (Ijust wanted to make it look pretty when I started!)

Anne Mr Site
09-01-2009, 06:33 PM

regards
James.

Hi

Yes, you can add heading tags in html mode in Mr Site. To do so go to option 3 > from drop down select the page > click on html button coming at the bottom of the page > here add the code <h1> then add your header text then add </h1> at the end. Click on save button and publish your site via option 4. You can repeat the process for h2 etc.

Regards
Mr Site Team