PDA

View Full Version : Selling Alcohol in Gift Baskets

aromalisa
17-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Hi sorry if this has been asked before but if I make a gift basket to sell at a Christmas Fair ,what are the legalities of selling wine, perhaps, in the basket.I joined this forum over a year ago with the intention of setting up a gift basket business bhut never quite got there !!! The bug is still with me and I want to try again.Any help or information gladly received .

Thank you

Lisa x

auntynet
17-11-2008, 10:10 PM
The law states that you cannot sell alcohol without a license to do so.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear.

Did you know that it is also illegal to even give alcohol away as a raffle prize if you don't have a license?

Critchley
17-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Kerrrumbs Auntynet, is that right. I was a licensee and didn't know that but now I think about it .....
That law must get broken continually. I gave a bottle of plonk for a raffle last week and I know the organisation doesn't have a licence to sell booze.!!!!

buffybaskey
17-11-2008, 10:19 PM
wow ive never though about that, we have been many church fete that have bottle stalls, in fact we came home with a bottle of beer, a quater of whiskey, three bottle of wine and a litre bottle of gin last weekend:o was a lucky day:sm: xxx

auntynet
17-11-2008, 10:23 PM
They do tend to turn a blind eye to charity raffles and stuff like that but if they wanted to get stroppy about it they could cos technically, you are "selling" it cos you're selling tickets to win it whether its a raffle prize or a tombola prize.

Urbtaf informs me (he's just a mine of useless/useful info) that years ago there was a village fete and the local bobby wanted to do something for the fete but it was opposed. So out of spite he went to the police station and made an official complaint about alcohol being given as raffle prizes and the police had to uphold the complaint because it was the law and the organizers were prosecuted because they didn't withdraw the alcohol prize.

xrheax
17-11-2008, 10:48 PM
You learn something new everyday!

aromalisa
18-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies ,I think I will leave the wine out!!!!!

rhid
29-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Can anyone enlighten me as to what licence would be needed and are there great complications to getting one!

i appologise if it has been asked before, im new to the forum!

urbtaf
29-12-2008, 10:26 PM
The same one that a pub or shop has, though a tempery one can be got for a special event. I believe its very difficult and expensive

matt.chatterley
30-12-2008, 08:03 AM
The same one that a pub or shop has, though a tempery one can be got for a special event. I believe its very difficult and expensive

Right, lets see. Had a ponder about this, and think..

1. Must have a personal licence (http://www.biiab.org/index.cfm/asset_id,3381/fuseaction,details/qual_id,236426/index.html#B) to sell alcohol. End of story

2. Must have an applicable licence/permission from the council to sell alcohol from your premises (either on or off-sales, as appropriate)

3. That if you are a charity, holding a closed raffle where tickets are available at the event containing the raffle only (e.g. not on public sale before hand), and can guarantee that no-one under the age of 18 has access to purchase tickets (remember it's actually illegal to sell raffle tickets to under-16s anyway) - then you are OK.

Which confirms my suspicion that licensing has definitely NOT been simplified since I last held one approx 10 years ago!!