PDA

View Full Version : Adding shea butter to MP soap?

kaygeebee
08-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Hi all,

I've just made my first MP soap using an organic MP goats milk base, a scrummy gingerbread fragrance and a few drops of yellow colouring to make a pale cream colour.

I added in some small pieces of Shea butter in an effort to make the soap nice and moisturising - which seemed to melt in OK at the time, but now that I've turned my 'bar' out of the mold, it looks like the shea butter has all risen to the top!

Now this isn't really a problem on this bar, as the colour is close, and the benefits are there, but did I do something wrong? Is there a way of making the shea butter distribute evenly through MP soap?

What can I add to my MP soap to make it more moisturising, and what quantities should I be adding? What would happen if I put some regular moisturiser or handcream in?!

I'm not planning on selling at the moment, just making for myself, friends and family.

BTW, I think I am addicted! Soap making is so much fun!!:mf:

deedoo
08-11-2008, 12:12 PM
If your M&P has a high content of glycerin you should not need to add anything more moisturising to it. The glycerin should be enough to pull moisture to the skin and keep it soft and supple without the need for added ingredients.

kaygeebee
08-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. It's not that the soap is drying as such - just that I want it to be super moisturising!!

Would something like an oil do this?

Lomond Soap
08-11-2008, 05:22 PM
I don't make M&P soap but I believe you can add up to 10% extra oils to the base. Anymore and you'll lose the lather. Did you melt the shea along with your base? You could add an oil to the base too.
Elaine J knows a lot about this but she's away till monday, but I'm sure she'll add to this then.
HTH

kaygeebee
08-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks so much for your reply.

I did melt the shea along with the base - it melted in fine, but seems to have settled on top afterwards! I actually really like it as there is a thin layer of shea on top of the soap :D

I will experiment with some oil too - thanks for the 10% tip!

ElaineJ
11-11-2008, 08:01 PM
With added oils/butters it's best to keep stirring gentlywhen its all melted and while it cools and thickens slightly (use a chopstick and stir slowly round the edge) if you pour too soon the ol/butter will float to the top.

If you want you can melt it down again then stir/pour as above - actually this rebatching can give a better mix.

Bath-Bomb.Com
11-11-2008, 08:26 PM
I've been trying to get this right for ages so thanks Elaine for the tips - In my researching this I found that you shouldn't add more than 5% butters and any butters you add will affect the M&P's ability to produce lather - I make a Chocolate soap and add just a cube of organic chocolate and it reduces the lather massively.

Good luck

:)

ElaineJ
11-11-2008, 10:31 PM
I've added up to 10% liquid oils to the "Natural" MP base and lathers OK - but we are in a soft water area, I think the harder butters could well affect the lathering.

(Hmm - was going to upload it as an attachment but message says it exceeds my quota - can't see how!!)

ElaineJ
11-11-2008, 11:08 PM
The attached pic has 10% oils - from left to right Pumpkin seed oil, Tamanu oil and Apricot Kernel oil, all in the Natural base, which is slightly cloudy. They all had sufficient lather in a soft water area.

(I don't sell these ATM I was just testing)

totalelegancesoaps
12-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Goat's Milk soap MP does not need anything adding to it as it's a moisturizer in it's self. Goats Milk is ideal soap for ezxema suffers and people with very sensitive skin as it is natural.
Not only is it a moisturiser but goat's milk soap also has an amazing benefits for people with sensitive skin and skin conditions such as eczema,dermatitis and psoriasis.
However people of 100 years ago and more knew how to measure and blend organic botanicials in their own gardens. They also knew that goat's milk soap offers more benefits. It's ph is very similar to our own which protect the skin from harmful bacteria leaving it with a feeling of comfort rather than the dryness of ordinary shop-bought soap.
Hope this helps
Luv Louise xx;)

ElaineJ
12-11-2008, 02:01 PM
These are the ingredients in one of the goatsmilk MP bases

25-50% Aqua
10-25% Glycerin
10-25% Sodium Stearate
10-25% Sorbitol
10-25% Propylene Glycol
5-10% Sodium Laurate
5-10% Sodium Laureth Sulfate
1-5% Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
0.5-1% Sodium Chloride
0.5-1% Stearic Acid
0.5-1% Goats Milk
0.5-1% Lauric Acid
<0.1% Pentasodium Pentetate
<0.1% Tetrasodium Etidronate

Not a lot of goats milk compared with CP or HP using goats milk as the lye liquid, bear in mind that it could be goatsmilk powder in the MP base.

You could add some more goatsmilk by mixing powder with glycerine (better than water) and adding to the MP when melted.

Kay
12-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Goat's Milk soap MP does not need anything adding to it as it's a moisturizer in it's self. Goats Milk is ideal soap for ezxema suffers and people with very sensitive skin as it is natural.
Not only is it a moisturiser but goat's milk soap also has an amazing benefits for people with sensitive skin and skin conditions such as eczema,dermatitis and psoriasis.
However people of 100 years ago and more knew how to measure and blend organic botanicials in their own gardens. They also knew that goat's milk soap offers more benefits. It's ph is very similar to our own which protect the skin from harmful bacteria leaving it with a feeling of comfort rather than the dryness of ordinary shop-bought soap.
Hope this helps
Luv Louise xx;)

Thanks Louise
I have psoriasis and have a nightmare finding stuff that doesnt irritate my skin, I will look for this stuff now.

kaygeebee
12-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks so much for all the replies...... I can see this is going to become a really interesting hobby as I experiment with it! :D

Thanks for the tips on what proportion of extras can be added, and how to prevent separation. I probably did pour quite quickly and then just left it!

I made a lovely transparent green/blue soap fragranced with a 'rainwater' fragrance at the weekend - have christened it 'aqua'!

The Soap Fairy
17-11-2008, 10:18 PM
hee hee I can see your getting hooked.

Have fun

BeanyCraft
06-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Oo I may have a go at doing this too ^.^