PDA

View Full Version : Crochet help required.....

Poppy4lee
07-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Does anyone know of a really good beginners guide to filet crochet? I've got one pattern book but, for the life of me, I just can't follow it :frusty: Even a really good book on basic crochet techniques, would be good. Although I can crochet, I'm dreadful at following crochet patterns :D

goldy1
07-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Youtube has soooo many uses. ;) http://www.google.com/search?q=+filet+crochet&btnGNS=Search+youtube.com&oi=navquery_searchbox&sa=X&as_sitesearch=youtube.com&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=T3O

ElaineJ
07-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Best crochet book I've ever found is The Crochet Workshop by James Walters, I bought it when it came out in 1979 - IIRC there's been a fairly recent republishing.

There are various copies on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crochet-Workshop-James-Walters/dp/0283984082/ref=sr_1_104?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226055980&sr=1-104)

Poppy4lee
07-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Thank you so much Goldy, I've had a look at your link and it's really useful but I do also want a book that I can keep referring to :)

Poppy4lee
07-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Best crochet book I've ever found is The Crochet Workshop by James Walters, I bought it when it came out in 1979 - IIRC there's been a fairly recent republishing.

There are various copies on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crochet-Workshop-James-Walters/dp/0283984082/ref=sr_1_104?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226055980&sr=1-104)

Thanks Elaine, that's just the sort of book I'm looking for :D I'm wondering whether to get the original edition, or, the latest one, I assume they'll be fairly similar.

ElaineJ
07-11-2008, 11:51 AM
I've not seen one of the recent editions and there are used ones of rhe first lot in paperback in good nick at good prices.

I had a look at the hardback prices and there's an original in "as new" at over 200!! This does show that it's valued as a reference book though. (My paperback at 30yrs old hasn't lost any pages and it's been well thumbed as he starts at the very basic and works up to designing complex stuff.)

Can't find my copy ATM - but I know there is a good section on filet.

Poppy4lee
07-11-2008, 12:00 PM
I've not seen one of the recent editions and there are used ones of rhe first lot in paperback in good nick at good prices.

I had a look at the hardback prices and there's an original in "as new" at over 200!! This does show that it's valued as a reference book though. (My paperback at 30yrs old hasn't lost any pages and it's been well thumbed as he starts at the very basic and works up to designing complex stuff.)

Can't find my copy ATM - but I know there is a good section on filet.

I've ordered the one on the link you that posted, from what you've said, it's exactly what I need, thank you :D

LadyLora
07-11-2008, 10:00 PM
I've found this crochet book really helpful - stitches explained in lamens terms and lots of lovely patterns to sink your teeth into!

Stitch and bitch- The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller

I know the title sounds a bit dodgy but trust me it is a crochet book!!
:)

ElaineJ
07-11-2008, 10:08 PM
I've ordered the one on the link you that posted, from what you've said, it's exactly what I need, thank you :D

I don't think you'll be disappointed - do let me know what you think of it when it arrives.

mandy
08-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi
I have a 15 page booklet which is fab. When I was learning to crochet I found it really easy to understand. It's called Twilleys book of instant crochet 7th edition. I think I bought it from the CO-OP. It only has a few patterns but all the instructions have large stitch diagrams. Let me know if you can't get it and i'll scan it in for you.
Mandy

jenig12
09-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Jayne

just seen your post, I am with you on this - can knit most things but can't crack crochet so wil certainly follow up on the suggestions here
x