PDA

View Full Version : Casting and Moulds

kjweston
03-11-2008, 06:31 PM
HI!
I am new here and wondered if this would be a good place to hear from people with experiance in casitng and mould making?
ive just started a 3d design course and have made a plaster of paris mould or some texture (bubbled pva) and wanted to know what i can cast from the mould?? without damaging it ect?
Are there any rules about what you can and cant do to the mould and what you can and cant use to cast from it?

Also anyone know of any cool experimental materials you can cast with?

I also have some ceramofix which im not sure about? is it the same as plaster of paris? Can i use this to cast from my plaster mould? (ie.im guessin by making a cast from somthing else and then casting the ceramofix in that?

Any help would be brilliant! im such a novice at this stuff

xx
ps.great forum!

shaunridgedragon
29-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi kjWeston,

I have a little experience in making moulds, I am self taught, and currently cast in my own mix of re-constituted stone. I will try to answer your questions in the order as they appear.

Depending on what you make your mould from, (plaster,latex,gelflex,silicone,polmer rubber,ect....) of which there are a plentiful choice to choose from, you should be able to cast in a choice of mediums also.

I have never heard of ceramofix so cannot comment on it! but if I can advise or help in any other way I will....just ask :)

Creativekev
04-12-2008, 11:07 AM
You can make your positive casts from your mould in a variety of materials, ie; If it's pourable and sets hard you should be able to cast with it. You could obviously use casting plaster, or stonecast which are available from model shops. I've used glassfibre to make positive castings from plaster, this can be given a variety of finishes.
Most important! you're mould should be dry, the surface very well sealed and you need to use a very good release agent otherwise whatever you use to cast it will definately stick to your mould. if you're mould is a simple open shape and you take care you may be able to use it a number of times. If you only want to make one casting, as long as your casting ends up harder than your mould ie; by using cement products or glass fibre than you don't need to take as much care, you can destroy the mould to release the casting.
If you really want multiple castings then it may be better to make one very good hard casting and then use that to produce a flexible mould from vynamould, silicon rubber or latex.
Kev.

autumn rose
04-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi & (welcome)to the forum!