PDA

View Full Version : Felted Soap

ElaineJ
29-10-2008, 05:45 PM
I saw some felt covered soap on a member's website but can't remember whose (forgot to bookmark it).

I've covered soap with felted wool from time to time but never met a felter or a soaper in the UK who does this apart from one stall in the woolly section of a craft fair and the ladies said they used bought soap.

I've not put any on my website as I'm not sure about getting consistency in weight of each individual felted soap.

Just wondering whether there are any other forum members doing this.

craftynclothy
30-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Me!

I get my soap from another work at home mum and I do the felting. I don't worry too much about them being the same weight as long as they're all above a certain weight iyswim.

FairyAlchemy
30-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi I have a felted range, for the weight I start with a soap about 20g more than I need the finished one to be, then after I've felted and dried for a while it sort of evens out. since i sell each range weight wise I find the lowest weighing one and for the label something like min 100g seems to cover it and legally...
Hope that helps...xx:p

Scorch
30-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Ermmm... felted soap? Can anyone explain?

ElaineJ
30-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi I have a felted range, <snip>
Hope that helps...xx:p

Yes - it was your site!

Thanks for the guidelines.

ElaineJ
30-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Ermmm... felted soap? Can anyone explain?

It's a bar of soap completely enclosed in felt (no seams) and as the soap is used the felt shrinks down further and if it's had a goodly cover you can make a slit and slide in more soap - or make a felt pouch/purse/mobile phone cosy depending on the size and shape of the felt.

This is the Fairy Alchemy felted soap (http://www.fairysoap.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=47_9&products_id=85) .

Critchley
30-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Thank you for asking Scorch I though I was the only ignorant one here so dare not ask and thanks for the clear explanation Elaine. Where do you all get your ideas from, it would make a super Xmas gift.

Scorch
30-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Ohhhhh, right! That's an interesting idea...

ElaineJ
30-10-2008, 01:42 PM
I saw some examples on a US felt site then eventually found these instructions. (http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soaprecipes/ss/soapfelting.htm)

I particularly like his instruction description Wet Cat Stage - it's not for the newcomer to felting!!

Felted soaps don't seem to have caught on in the UK though they've been popular in the US for years. I haven't worked out whether it's felters who aren't into soapmaking or soapers who aren't into felt. I haven't yet met anyone face to face who makes both soap and felt.

craftynclothy
30-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Thank you for asking Scorch I though I was the only ignorant one here so dare not ask and thanks for the clear explanation Elaine. Where do you all get your ideas from, it would make a super Xmas gift.

I'm felting some Xmas scented soaps for a craft fair on Saturday. They're sat next to me and the smell is gorgeous!

Felted soaps don't seem to have caught on in the UK though they've been popular in the US for years. I haven't worked out whether it's felters who aren't into soapmaking or soapers who aren't into felt. I haven't yet met anyone face to face who makes both soap and felt.

For me, it's the cost of certification for soap making that stops me making the soaps myself. It's a lot to pay out and with having an 18month old who won't go to bed til about 9.30pm it's finding time to make everything. I also like supporting another work at home mum - she's someone I've bought products from for a while now and I'd rather give her some business than me fork out a load of money for a product I don't really want to spe******e in. At the end of the day I'm a felter/jewellery maker not a soaper. I don't have the time to dedicate to soapmaking to make it worth my while.

I imagine that most soapers either aren't aware of felted soap or think it's more complicated than it is.

Lomond Soap
30-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Like Elaine said, I've seen a lot of these on US soap forums and whilst I really like the idea and look, I've never looked into the "how to". Elaine already makes felt pots, which are gorgeous BTW.
Another thing to add to my ever growing "things to do" list!

Critchley
30-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Elaine are you likely to have solved your weight problem in time for Christmas? Let me know if you are able to sell any.

ElaineJ
30-10-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm going to make some Myrrh & Frankincense soap at the weekend - it's Hot Process so will be ready in 3 weeks when it's dried out I can felt some of that - or make another as well with different essential oils (the only fragrance oils I use are Honey and Milk 'cos there aren't any EOs for those, I tried Beeswax absolute but was too expensive to up the fragrance strength in honey soap).

What colours/fragrance would you like - I have loads of wools and essential oils.

Take a look at FairyAlchemy's site and C&C's - they have felted soaps which you might like.

Critchley
30-10-2008, 11:12 PM
I have a "Best Friend" whose b'day is New Years Eve, she is a very Irish lass so this year I have made her an emerald green evening bag and want to put green smellies in it. One or two of your felt soaps would just fit the bill. We have been friends for 40 years now and have often bailed each other out of the odd scrape over those years. Brought our children up as single parents and paid each others bills when desperate. Thankyou for considering me, I appreciate it. Look forward to hearing from you when they are ready.

ElaineJ
30-10-2008, 11:20 PM
I have loads of greens!

I'll do Myrrh & Frank and go to bed working out an EO blend which would suit Ireland.

Critchley
31-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I have loads of greens!

I'll do Myrrh & Frank and go to bed working out an EO blend which would suit Ireland.
Sounds good. PM me when you want dosh.

FairyAlchemy
31-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Yes - it was your site!

Thanks for the guidelines.

Wow someone went to my site hehe...

I really must get all my other products on there but i've been so busy. There is a fab japanese girl that does the most amazing felted soap but charges around $20 for it her name eludes me at the moment.. I tried it first as I had the rovings for my weaving and some soap I wasnt happy with looks wise, darn it took a bit to fiqure it out then funny enough I found the same tutorial. Following those instructions I couldnt get it to felt tight at the wet cat stage (think i did way to much or something wrong)and it would swell again lots when it was wetted... ummm not good so I worked out the way with the mat and the help of a libray book.

I'm selling them as I make them at the moment and darn it I cant beleive I dont have any for tonights halloween craft thingy.

I've got Ylang Ylang and sandlewood and a small amount of chocolate orange to felt this weekend I hope, oh what do you think about a xmas cookie one?

:p

ElaineJ
04-11-2008, 01:37 AM
I somehow missed your post FA!

Xmas Cookie sounds fine - especially if you're not making the soap (Lomond Soaps has just had Xmas something FO doing funny things)!

I manage the wet cat stage by building up in layers, holding it firmly whilst muttering curses if it doesn't behave, my soaps always behave - they have to!!

I've just tried felting a miscellaneous hot process bar like the half cylinder ones on my website and it worked fine, I wasn't sure how the corners would work out but they were less difficult than on an oblong bar.

ElaineJ
16-11-2008, 06:46 PM
This is the felted soap I mentioned above:

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/picture.php?albumid=284&pictureid=2075

cbld
16-11-2008, 08:36 PM
I do felted soaps as well! I was needle-felting before I ever tried soap-making, but my soaps are the only things I've ever wet-felted.

It took me a few attempts to get the hang of it, but it's easy (and quite satisfying) once you get into it! I seem to recall there's a video tutorial on YouTube that was quite helpful.

FairyAlchemy
17-11-2008, 12:15 PM
I've tried yet again to take pictures these didnt turn out to bad... I lost the roof to my studio and was doing my kitchen so not been around.. these are my fluffy fairies almost finished though...
:p
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WKllkz0B4IA/SSFOJfdHrTI/AAAAAAAAAEg/I8LZvgIbu3s/s1600/CIMG0825.JPG

FairyAlchemy
17-11-2008, 12:17 PM
I love the green mix elaine lol i see we use the same drying mats lol...:p

This is the felted soap I mentioned above:

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/picture.php?albumid=284&pictureid=2075

ElaineJ
17-11-2008, 12:54 PM
I like the fluffy fairies = I have a fairy mad friend, how much are they?

FairyAlchemy
17-11-2008, 01:25 PM
you could help me out on that one... they are cold process honey soaps wet felted and at that point they are normally 3.40 add on top of that another hour plus for the toppings on each one.. I normally only did them like this for family pressies since i was to busy with a job and soaping.. My OH says 5 but i dont know... eek:p

ElaineJ
17-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Ah - this is where I replied, not the other thread (Senior Moment).

5 is way too cheap (and 3.40 is too cheap for a felted soap anyway) you're not paying yourself enough!!

craftynclothy
17-11-2008, 03:15 PM
My felted soaps are only 2.50 but my soap is cheaper than yours. Love that green one though :D

FairyAlchemy
17-11-2008, 03:24 PM
oh dear I'm terrible at that sort of thing, silly i used to be a IT consultant and my agency used to have to do my accounting or else they said I'd do everything for free.
What do you think I should charge? and elaine you have discount lol...:p

craftynclothy
17-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Oh duh. I'm being silly...there wasn't a pic in your last post but have clicked onto your blog and seen the fairy ones. They're fab :D

ElaineJ
17-11-2008, 07:58 PM
oh dear I'm terrible at that sort of thing, silly i used to be a IT consultant and my agency used to have to do my accounting or else they said I'd do everything for free.
What do you think I should charge? and elaine you have discount lol...:p

Don't know how long it takes you to felt a soap (was intending to time that green one but first the phone went and later Jones wanted to look at a website so I had to open it up for him - he can't surf, just paddles).

But you're paying yourself less than 1.50 - then if it takes you an hour to make a Fluffy Fairy on a felted soap you're paying yourself a bit under 1.50 per hour to put the fairy on.

Couple of examples
Shetland (http://www.designedinshetland.co.uk/epages/es106918.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es106918_shop/Products/kzfeltz-001/SubProducts/kzfeltz-001-0001) - obviously has "label appeal" with made in Shetland using Shetland fleece.

and this one's (http://www.luckycatsoap.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=58&Itemid=37&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37) organic - but they're both simply felted.

Have another think!

Bumble Bee
11-03-2009, 06:47 PM
I make soap and im also a felter. I sell quite a few of them to elderly people, they find they can hold better. My kids love them too as there colourful and they can also grip them.
There around 100g and I sell them for 2.50. I know they take ages to make, but any kind of felting does. Its a love thing. Unless you can afford a felting machine. Felting is my chill out time!!

janenicola
23-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I love the look of this felted soap, I came across some in a shop but wasn't sure what it is for or how to do it. thanks for the link Elainej. I have done felting before when working in a school andmake M&P soap. will the 2 go together? where can I get wool from?
Jane

ElaineJ
23-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi Jane - I've felted MP (practise your felting first 'cos you can wear away the soap if you go on too long).

Biggest range of wools I've found is from Wingham (http://www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk/fbr_wol_merino64.php)

janenicola
23-06-2009, 02:39 PM
thanks ElaineJ I'm definately going to give it a go!
Jane