PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetic Certification ..Please?

UrbanAngelJewellery
09-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi Can you please tell me the names of any companies that can help with certification of lip balms, bath melts and bombs ?

Also any ideas on the approximate cost?

I am thinking of adding an additional arm to my "empire" but would like some more information first....seems the last thread went off on a tangent about this ...:D:D

astleysoapco
09-10-2008, 06:56 PM
lip balms, bath melts and bombs. Bath melts and bombs will be very cheap to have cert. However - lip balms - can be very expensive, this is becuase it is used on the face.

The best company to talk with it http://www.smallburgh-labs.co.uk/homepage.html

Give them a ring - they will be able to help. Although Just a Soap, will also be able to help as well.

If you wish you can also contact someone someone called Sarah - she had some stuff to do with the soap tub (before they went bust). I dont know her, and have never taken any advice with her - but you can give her a ring, and see what she says - her number is 01484 310014 and email address - sarah.janes3@ntlworld.com. However, she will propably just say that you need to use specific bases. Not good if you buy from several companies.

Hope this has helped. James.

Lomond Soap
09-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Sarah Janes is a cosmetic consultant, the safety assesments are done by John Hopkins of Innovant Research (AFAIK he uses Sarah as a gobetween, she deals with the enquiries & paperwork as he is too busy to do it). The good thing about their assessments is that they offer a huge amount of flexibility, you are not tied down to one base recipe. Sarah has a wealth of knowledge and also runs courses in making all sorts of cosmetics, all over the country.
I have no hesitation in recommending them!

FairyAlchemy
10-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Same for me I would not hesitate to recommend sarah, she has a lot of experience and her assessments so far are the most concise I have found, Bath products are around 150 and cover more than you could make in the beginning.

Good luck.... Fairy:p

FairyAlchemy
10-10-2008, 10:45 AM
OT corrie your mint funk looks amazing.... oh darn it I might have to buy some..... (she says trying to hide her bank card) ;)

specialgirl7876
10-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Have just spoken to smallburgh labs as recommended above, nice girl and is emailing me an info pack with prices etc. Just thought I'd let you all know incase you want to speak to them. Will update on pack once I've read it properly.

astleysoapco
10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
A NICE GIRL? HA HA!! A nice lad you mean!!

specialgirl7876
11-10-2008, 08:09 AM
No, no, definitely a girl - "he" was on another line! She emailed me the info straight away and it's really helpful. Not looking to go into business but thought I'd look into doing safety assessment so I can get insurance, just incase any gifts I give result in a bad reaction. It was more expensive than I thought though, so having a long hard think about it!

Joy
15-10-2008, 10:49 PM
I can also definitley recommend Sarah Janes as well, she's done both my soap and bath bomb ones.

ElaineJ
15-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Yes - I know a few people who've gone via Sarah and you'll get a far more flexible list of ingredients than with most of the other labs for the price.

She connects with the chemist who's done my assessments, but he stopped taking on new "small" cosmetics and toletries makers last year as he was inundated; Sarah has obviously negotiated a contract.

Claire74
23-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I can also definitley recommend Sarah Janes as well, she's done both my soap and bath bomb ones.

Hi.

Maybe a silly question, but when you are certified, does this mean you cannot continue adding to your list? I get my products from Justasoap, they are fully certified as are their products, so once i am certified for making soap (melt & pour) can i only stick to the list i have?

How long from being set up, would you recommend getting certified?

Sorry, im new to all of this.

Thanks Claire xxxxxxx

Bath-Bomb.Com
23-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi.

Maybe a silly question, but when you are certified, does this mean you cannot continue adding to your list? I get my products from Justasoap, they are fully certified as are their products, so once i am certified for making soap (melt & pour) can i only stick to the list i have?

How long from being set up, would you recommend getting certified?

Sorry, im new to all of this.

Thanks Claire xxxxxxx

Hi Claire,

The products named in your certification are the products you're certified to make so, for instance, if you have a soap certified with a list of 20 fragrances but, in the future you want to make a soap with a fragrance not listed you'll have to get a new certificate. I'd advise getting a quite extensive list together of all possible additions - that way you have some flexibility for the future.

You need to have the products certified before you sell them - google EU Cosmetics Directives for information.

HTH

Jude :)

Claire74
23-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks Jude!

Yes i understand you have to be certified to sell them, ive read quite alot of the information, but i was just unclear as to the list, and what you can or cannot add after certification.

So im thinking what i will do is make as much soap as i can, all different varieties, ingredients, oils etc, then this way, i will probably have covered almost everything, even if i dont use some of them all the time.

Claire x

Lomond Soap
23-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi Claire,
Some safety assessments tie you down to a base formula plus a list of additions. Fine to start off with but as your make more and more, you will find things you wish you'd added. I suppose you could go back to your chemist and ask for them to be added or get a SA with a more flexible approach.
With mine I can make any CP/HP soap so long as it has olive & coconut oils in it. Now that's flexible!!