PDA

View Full Version : Bath bomb top tips

specialgirl7876
05-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Hi all
I'm very new to this, still in the research stages of making bath bombs....I have so many questions that I can't even start to write them down!
I was wondering if anyone would be happy to share their "top tips" for bath bomb making....any experiences that might help us beginners and stop us making silly mistakes....wonderful unusual ingredients that we may not think of......favourite EO combinations etc..
I hasten to add that this is for purely personal use and possibly gift making, I have no intention of nicking ideas and making my millions from them :D
Cheers
Fran

astleysoapco
05-10-2008, 11:10 AM
600g bicarb (from Bako) mixed together with 200g of citric acid (from JC Peacock) - Perfect

Double the ammounts if needed to make bulk.

To make the bath bombs a little harder add a few drops of Distilled Witch Hazel. It helps to bind - does a good job.

Add colourants and essentail/fragrance of course.

Try adding rose petals - nice!

Hope this help......

James :)

rhulme
05-10-2008, 11:29 AM
hi i use which hazel in mine the best sellers at he moment is lemongrass and lime, eucalypus, lavender, tea-tree, patchouli ( not my fav make this in bulk ) and i havee been using food colouring only a little and in my soaps and shampoos

Poppy4lee
05-10-2008, 12:04 PM
600g bicarb (from Bako) mixed together with 200g of citric acid (from JC Peacock) - Perfect

Double the ammounts if needed to make bulk.

To make the bath bombs a little harder add a few drops of Distilled Witch Hazel. It helps to bind - does a good job.

Add colourants and essentail/fragrance of course.

Try adding rose petals - nice!

Hope this help......

James :)

Good recipe!! I've never tried which hazel as my safety assessment doesn't include it. I always put a tablespoon, or, two of sweet almond oil in mine, it's a great moisturiser (the bicarb and citric acid cleanse and exfoliate, so, it's good to moisturise as well). I use cosmetic colourants in mine (as opposed to food dies). If you look at http://www.justasoap.co.uk/catalog/index.php (http://www.justasoap.co.uk/catalog/index.php) theysell all the bath bomb making ingredients as well as loads of frangrances and cosmetic colourants. I get all my stuff from them. :D

Bath-Bomb.Com
05-10-2008, 01:50 PM
There was a recent thread about this that I posted on - I think the original postee found it very useful

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16789 (http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16789&highlight=bath+bomb)

:)

Claire74
31-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Good recipe!! I've never tried which hazel as my safety assessment doesn't include it. I always put a tablespoon, or, two of sweet almond oil in mine, it's a great moisturiser (the bicarb and citric acid cleanse and exfoliate, so, it's good to moisturise as well). I use cosmetic colourants in mine (as opposed to food dies). :D

I have just made my very first batch of bath bombs today, i used some Almond Oil in mine, everything went well (or so i thought) i made them a couple of hours ago, i know they take 48 hrs to harden etc, but i have just checked on them and although they are kinda round still, the bottom which they are sitting on is no longer round, its flat..... any tips to keep them round on the bottom when storing them? Apart from keeping them in the moulds, as i dont have enough of these yet.

Thanks! Claire x

Bath-Bomb.Com
31-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Hiya,

Maybe less water but this is a fine balance and round ones are the most difficult (unless you keep them in the moulds - I have about 50 moulds for this reason). You can buy some really cheap paper napkins or a roll of paper towels and and lay the bombs on a few layers so it has a soft base to sit on (the napkins also absorb a bit of the moisture which helps them harden). Don't use toilet paper or something that the bath bomb will stick to!

Once they've hardened they should be like rocks so you shouldn't need to worry about them going flat when you store them - it depends how many you have to store but I use tupperware storage boxes (as big as possible) - I have hundreds of bath bombs in the house in boxes, tupperware, in drawers, on shelfs...the blumming things have taken over my house and as many perfect ones I have, there are just as many gone wrong ones - that split or crumbled or went flat!

Hope this helps

Judi

Claire74
31-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks Judi!!

I think i made 8 altogether, i stored them in a shallow cardboard box, with a clean tea-towel for support, but noticed they had stuck to it, so i removed it. I think my best bet is as a novice is to get my hands on as many moulds as i can, this way, i can try and keep them in the moulds to set nice and round, i know you can use any shape moulds for bath bombs, but i just wanted to see how i could make a round one...... hehehe, i guess i need to practise more though.

Claire x

ElaineJ
31-10-2008, 10:36 PM
These moulds from Bathbomb.biz Ltd. (http://www.bathbomb.biz/acatalog/Bath_Bomb_Moulds.html) are very handy.

Claire74
01-11-2008, 09:47 AM
These moulds from (link) are very handy.

Thanks for the link!

I have just ordered some from Bathbomb.

Claire x :D

Bath-Bomb.Com
01-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I sell these moulds also in a variety of shapes and sizes and if you mention the forum I will always give a good discount. Link is in my signature...

I don't think these moulds are particularly good if you are making a lot though (to be honest) as they are plastic rather than Polywhatsit. If you want bigger ones I have some here that I bought that were a bit on the small side (6cm diameter) I think - I'd sell them cheap to get rid so if any one wants them just send me a message.

:)