PDA

View Full Version : Product licenses

thatbusinesswomen
25-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Hiya, I am about to launch a new business but desperately need some information and I know that someone here will know.

I don't want to make and sell products BUT i need to know how to find the chemists that test and give licences to business' that do make and sell soap and other cosmetic products.

My questions are: Does the chemist come to your home and test the products or do you send them to a static chemist?

Do you have one licence for a range of products or does each product need a license?

So, eg. If one of you ladies wanted to sell bath salts using hmm bath salts, either course sea salts or dead sea salts and was adding eg. lavender essential oil and then lavender petals - would that product need a licence and how much would that licence cost?

Actually Bigger question - are there any chemists advertising their services on this forum - if so speak up now:D

If for those of you who do sell, if you formulate say a lavender cold process soap, if you then decided that you wanted to sell Orange cold process soap, would you need a new licence?

Are there any home made cosmetics that don't need a licence?

Lots of questions I know, just need to make sure that I know all the ifs and buts going on.

Thanks in advance of any replies

xx

Onlynatural
25-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi,

I have just been investigating this and have today paid the fee to obtain a Soap Certification. From what has been explained to me, there is no need to provide a sample to be lab tested (this suprised me). You do need to obtain certification for each cosmetic group i.e. soaps (using same base oils), bath bombs, milks & salts, cremes and lotions etc, etc.
The Soap Kitchen offer some good advice and also gave me a list of people / companies who offer cosmetic testing services. World of Moulds also offer advice and are able to do certification; you can google both of these companies.

Jules : )

astleysoapco
25-09-2008, 09:55 PM
I would check out with either just a soap, or http://www.smallburgh-labs.co.uk/homepage.html

Small Burgh labs are very good. I would give them a ring, I have, very good tips , ifnroamtion, help, and cheap prices if you are firm!

thatbusinesswomen
25-09-2008, 10:06 PM
I have never seen anything on just a soaps website and I wouldn't contact the soap kitchen BUT the last link looks great - thank you both for your time to answer - much appreciated.

xx

thatbusinesswomen
25-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Have just emailed Smallburgh and hoping that more people know of other companies because i need to compare prices.

thanks
xx

thatbusinesswomen
26-09-2008, 11:24 AM
hello, I am so impatient and haven't heard back from Smallbrough and couldn't get them on the phone - anyone esle reading today who might know of other license companies.

Thanks

Bath-Bomb.Com
26-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Hiya,

I will try and answer some of your questions but forgive me if I am evasive and don't want to give away some of my sources etc.

Does the chemist come to your home and test the products or do you send them to a static chemist?

They don't come to your home - Trading Standards might though if you are manufacturing from home - they may wish to check that the person making the product is fit to do so and that the conditions within your 'manufacturing base' (kitchen) are clean and that you are following best practice in terms of maufacturing. You are supposed to notify Trading Standards when you begin making to sell.
I send my samples to my chemist and I'm not sure I'd trust a lab that didn't want a sample - although logically there aren't any new products being made by small producers - in terms of ingredients etc it's all been done before - so most labs or independent chemists can probably judge whether any given set of ingredients is going to be hazardous or not.

Do you have one licence for a range of products or does each product need a license?

Each product or variance should have a Certificate - however there can be some variations on the certificate that can cover you for a range of uses. My chemist will certify (for instance) a CP soap with a number of fragrances and additions (Petals, seeds, grains etc) and for a number of uses - for instance the recipe might be used to make bath soap or facial soaps.

So, eg. If one of you ladies wanted to sell bath salts using hmm bath salts, either course sea salts or dead sea salts and was adding eg. lavender essential oil and then lavender petals -

see above

would that product need a licence and how much would that licence cost?

Yes...and I pay 20 per product approximately and I tend to 'go for broke' in terms of fragrance and additions lists - some of my Certificates have a list of up to 50 fragrances and additions on them.

Actually Bigger question - are there any chemists advertising their services on this forum - if so speak up now:D

Lol - I think they are busy too certifying products for the homecrafting market...

If for those of you who do sell, if you formulate say a lavender cold process soap, if you then decided that you wanted to sell Orange cold process soap, would you need a new licence?

Not if you included Orange on the list of fragrances/essential oils submitted to the chemist with the sample - if you decided to add Orange later then you would have to contact your chemist and ask how much she/he'd charge to add orange but if orange isn't on the certificate then orange soap isn't certified.

Are there any home made cosmetics that don't need a licence?

It's defined as an application to the skin so if it goes on the skin either to wash with (whether rinsed off immediately or not) or to rub into then it's a cosmetic - the wording is specific but I couldn't be bothered to cut and paste it!!!

Hope this helps with your research

astleysoapco
26-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Give them a ring, emails are a waste of time. They are really helpful, and will give good advice. They are the main people to deal with.

thatbusinesswomen
26-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Hello - thank you - its fine i already buy the products that i need from manufacturer so I'm on top of supplers, I am not a prospective competitor i don't think - i don't do competition :D- I am already a manufacturer according to TS - am happy to have TS come for a cup of coffee and am already classed as a "safe" company according to them - I just need a chemist to work for me and according to the prices you have offered that looks like excellent value and just waht i was wanting.

Thank you for your help - will take a look at your site in a bit.

James I was browsing your site earlier - I make soap with my kids, just melt and pour BUT i often don't have time and I thought that your soaps look lovely and natural.

I often buy from http://beautybybea.co.uk/shop/ but always on the look out to try new soaps -

Thank you both for your help

thatbusinesswomen
27-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Wow, delipots looks great, i mostly use sls and sles free soap so i have you bookmarked for next time i need soap - I love to try other people's soap - could never make it myself to sell on, just don't have the patience and i have learned that manufacturing takes time and effort and there are easier ways to make a living :)

I bought a bar from the scotish soap company on a craft fair recently, it wasn't too expensive at 2.50 a bar but my husband took MY soap, used it in the shower, left it sat in water and when i next came to it I had a bar of mush :mad:

I so love soap that I have bars that i bought 10 years ago, I can't bring myself to use my Roger and Gallet or my maja soap because they are so lovely and when i have used them they are gone- how sad am I ? I have a box of French soap and olive oil soap BUT its is all so lovely that i just prefer to look at it that use it.

I will phone that chemist again on Monday James.

rhulme
01-10-2008, 12:10 PM
hi i have been trading for a year and make all my beauty products i.e soaps, salts, creams, shampoos etc....
when i went for insurance i was told that i would more then likely get it if i was a quilifed aromatherist or reflexolist. i have indian head but that doesn't count i was trained by someone and have a cert and i was able to get my insurance though the market traders assoc. and its only about 80 per year if this helps. it was the only way for me to do it at the time and i will def be looking into reflex as a sideline as this helps with insurance no one said to me when i phone that everyone of them has to be cert and i have my insurance and cert on display and i have had no complaints with anyone even when they have sensive skin i give them some to try and they come back for more
hope this helps if you want the number for the market traders ass i can get it for you the min insurance is 5 million and i stressed to all of the insurance company that i make my own on the premises
rachel