PDA

View Full Version : Hello soapmakers

Piglottie
12-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Hi

I've just joined this forum and was interested to see if there were many other soapmakers around. I make CP soap with essential oils - have just finished a batch of Oranges and Lemons (smelling lovely already). Am a bit of a novice, but love making soap although just make for myself, family and friends at the moment.

Piglottie

KarismaKandles
14-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Hi Piglottie

I have done a bit of soapmaking in the past but the thing that put me of is getting them certified so am sticking to my candlemaking am thinking of adding a soap range to compliment my candles at a later date

Deb :P

Piglottie
30-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi Karisma

At the moment, I just making soap for family and friends. Had a bit of soap making frenzy last week making CP soaps for Christmas (they will just cure in time!) - made loads of different types; lime; spearmint; coconut cream; special hand soap; buttered rose with spice! My airing cupboard is smelling very nice :D

I know what you mean about getting soap certified. I would love to make it to sell but it is just too much hassle and they are bringing in more and more regs all the time.

Haven't tried candle making but keep musing about it! LOL Have so many hobbies not sure if I can take another one on but am hoping to start selling stuff in the future (not to making loads of money but some pin money) and as soap making is such a pain if you're selling, might look into candles.

Best wishes
Piglottie

raspberrybloom
30-11-2005, 02:32 PM
If you wanted to get your soaps certified - I found this website www.meltandpoursupplies.com
I might even have to take up soap making myself!
Hope this helps.
Lou

Piglottie
30-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi Lou

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, they can only provide certification on their own melt and pour soaps (ie you buy the completed soap base from them and just add your own essential oils, colours etc). I make cold processed soap which is making soap from scratch so they are unable to certify my soap - I would need to get it certified by a qualified chemist etc etc!

Thanks anyway. Soap making is great fun and I've found it quite easy. Only problem is theres only me and my DH yet we have mounds of soap to get through despite giving it away left right and centre!

Piglottie

KarismaKandles
11-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi Piglottie

I Just remember when I was making soap I contacted a chemist about dertification and he was really helpful have search the house and finally found his details if I remeber correctly as long as your base recipe is the same you can have upto 6 types of soap one one certification ie if all made with same amount of palm oil and lye.

The company is Smallburgh Laboratories 01306 627180 this info was from natures treasures not sure if they are still trading I have alot of soap making supplies I have just sorted out was going to put on ebay next week if you are interested

Anyway hope all is well

deb :P

Piglottie
12-12-2005, 09:48 AM
Hi Deb

Thanks for the info about getting soap certified.

At the moment, I have loads of soap making supplies but may be interested in more spe******ed oils, moulds etc. Let me know what you have for sale and I'll get back to you.

Cheers
Piglottie

astleysoapco
28-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Hi am James

I have been making soap for the last 2 years now and love it. All my soaps have been certified to EU standers. Anyone who is out there and havnt got there soap certified its really easy to do and not that expensive.

astleysoapco
28-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Hi again

If you dont want the hassle of your soaps been tested. Then you can check out www.justasoap.co.uk. They offer a wide range of soap base, moulds and more. You can buy a safety assement package wich will allow you to sell your soaps to the public. Its really cheap only 50 for the soap assesment, BUT this means that you will have to use there soap base. Also you have to have product insurance. So if you do get your soaps tested you always will have to have insurance, but even that is cheap to prices range from 50-150.

tiziana
01-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Hi James, I'm a novice soap maker and I'm loving it. I make organic ones. I'm indiscrete to ask what was the actual procedure you went trough and also who was the chemist and how does all works and cost? Many thanks in advance for your help. Tiziana
Hi am James

I have been making soap for the last 2 years now and love it. All my soaps have been certified to EU standers. Anyone who is out there and havnt got there soap certified its really easy to do and not that expensive.

eena
02-01-2014, 12:53 AM
Tiziana, welcome to the forum - however, the post you have replied to is almost eight years old and the thread itself even older.

Apart from the fact that there are a lot of much more recent threads about soap-making and the rules and regulations thereof, may I point out that the essential legal process for certifying your soaps, cosmetics etc for sale changed considerably in mid-2013, so a thread from 2006 cannot contain current information.

Hi James, I'm a novice soap maker and I'm loving it. I make organic ones. I'm indiscrete to ask what was the actual procedure you went trough and also who was the chemist and how does all works and cost? Many thanks in advance for your help. Tiziana

nuvonova
07-01-2014, 11:38 AM
I've been interested in making soap for years and finally, I think this year will be the year it will happen!

I have looked at a lot of Melt & Pour tutorials but doing it all from scratch with Cold Process is the way I'm going to go! ... it's my birthday this month and my family have bought me a soap making course!! Very excited!

Pearls
07-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Hi,

I am Pearly, I am interested in soap making but find it hard to get supplies. Since you all are already making your own, please can you share where you source your ingredients from? i.e.:

Your oils and butters etc

I am finding it really expensive so it would be lovely to know where to buy quality but not really expensive ingredients.

Many thanks
:)

tiziana
08-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Hi Eena, thanks for your advise. Just trying to find my way around the forum:DI hope I can ask for help if I don't find a post that can be helpful. Take care. Tiziana:p
Tiziana, welcome to the forum - however, the post you have replied to is almost eight years old and the thread itself even older.

Apart from the fact that there are a lot of much more recent threads about soap-making and the rules and regulations thereof, may I point out that the essential legal process for certifying your soaps, cosmetics etc for sale changed considerably in mid-2013, so a thread from 2006 cannot contain current information.

tiziana
08-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Hi Pearly, Ingredients are expensive especially mine as organic but worth it. I buy organic cold pressed olive oil from saynsburys, organic coconut oil from The wholefood online store, the caustic soda (the purest possible I buy the 99%) from amazon. I use bottled water as the cheapest option. Essential oils Neals Yard, very expensive but you do use a few drops after all. Good luck

itunu
11-01-2014, 11:32 AM
they state in the descriptions how the FOs will affect the soap -

HoneyOnTheSun
04-05-2017, 08:29 AM
May I ask how expensive it is to get your soap certified?

mark99
18-04-2018, 11:27 PM
Great, My partner makes chocolate flavor soap and getting satisfying sell.