PDA

View Full Version : the best pottery craft events.......

potter1
26-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to this but have been a potter for a while. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who could recommend the best events for selling my handthrown cups, plates, goblets etc etc. I have done a few events but found covering the fees a struggle, let alone making any money! I am based in the South East (near Gatwick) ansd I also have demonstrated at some shows. All advice greatly appreciated! I need to make some money!!!!!:nopity:

Critchley
26-08-2008, 09:35 PM
(welcome) Its nice to see you here. We haven't got a lot of potters so you are all a bit precious.

potter1
26-08-2008, 09:41 PM
thank you Carol. Its nice to be here! There are some interesting ideas and people here! :D

purplemac
27-08-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm not a potter, just being nosey!! Where abouts near Gatwick are you? I'm originally from Crawley! Debbie

silvermaid
27-08-2008, 02:30 PM
I think most of us are struggling with craft fairs at the moment.
Maybe you could try your local art gallery, they very often have pottery alongside the paintings. It is something they can use to fill the bottom half of the walls. Or see if you can get into the craft tent in any of the local shows.
Are there any craft groups or craft guilds near you that you could join.

Melanie

potter1
27-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi and thanks everyone for your replies. I am in Horley, Debbie, used to live in Crawley and went to Thomas Bennett School.
Thanks for all your advice, will keep on trying and look at your ideas! Cabby

purplemac
28-08-2008, 01:56 PM
So did I!! (Alright, so did a lot of people!) Left in 1985, usual story, hated it!! I left Crawley 8 years ago, to Bournemouth first. My boyfriend is studying to be a chiropractor. So we started there then moved to South Wales. My Crawley accent has softened up now!

Debbie

purplemac
28-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Oops! Sorry forgot the question! Do they still hold the craft fairs at Ardingley? They used to be whoppers and it was all handmade stuff too. Might be worth getting in touch with the show ground people to ask.

Debbie

mandy
08-11-2008, 07:47 PM
You could look at taking a selection of your work to a few craft shops. I have managed to get some of my work at a gallery shop local to me. The only drawback is their commission rates are high.

Muddy Fingers
18-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi Fellow Potter here.
Just to say hello.

I do Pitfire and Im struggling to find a market aswell.
We love the work but the selling is tough.

Try the POTFESTs

Keep it up