PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knit up plastic bags

Koolcrafts
26-08-2008, 10:35 AM
I started the project a while back using Morrison Carrier bags. I in midst of making a bag. Just wondered if anyone has tried this.

Rudi
27-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Ive knitted with plastic bags before, nothing in particular just a few samples and its pretty simple. Stictches can get pretty tight though, and its hard to stretch them out but i really liked the finished look. Would take a while to produce a full bag though i reckon!
Rudi:D

thebaglady
27-08-2008, 12:29 AM
I've crocheted little mats with the plastic bags but I'm not a good enough knitter to attempt that. I have a pattern for a shopping bag made with the plastic bags somewhere but I haven't tried that yet.

Are you having a hard time with it? I found the plastic slippery.

jezzabell
27-08-2008, 01:39 AM
never tried yet but this is something in my mind now as I have collected so many of them...

I don`t know but I am almost sure I read somewhere that it is better to knit with some yarn... I have to find my resources ;) and start finally!

thelittlebeadhive
27-08-2008, 07:51 AM
I haven't yet but I wouldn't mind trying though. Years ago I used to knit for Penguin but I would get 20 and they would sell for 300! Some of jumpers ended up in Harrods but I was still poor! The things you do when you're young and foolish!

The 8th Gem
27-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Funny you should mention this was looking at at one of the pics sites found a friend on there by accident she had knit covers for her wooden chairs in white plastic bags..looked brill in an almost all white kitchen

thelittlebeadhive
27-08-2008, 08:53 AM
I hadn't thought of chair covers. That's a great idea! I need some too.

two hoots
27-08-2008, 10:15 AM
I haven't knitted with it but I have croceted with it. It works quite well, I used the half treble stitch so it worked up quicker. Trying to think of things to make and seat covers seem a really good idea !

Koolcrafts
27-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Chair covers, that is a good idea.

Yes I am finding hard to stretch the stitches. Also, if I leave it a few days, the stitches on the needles seem to harden. I have to put my hair dryer on them to soften them enough to continue knitting.

I can't crotchet, but I bet it looks good.

On my flickr page is about as much as I have achieved so far, although I have done a few more rows. Am hoping to make a bag from all the morrisons bags I have in the house

The 8th Gem
28-08-2008, 07:53 AM
yep l thought so too here is a link to the photo of knitted plastic bag chair covers my friend made on Flickr....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/good-amanda/102595465/in/set-1761784/

Suz

two hoots
29-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Wow I thought you meant just a seat cover ! they are great, they could make good out door covers for patio furniture too.

janetdc
29-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Wow I thought you meant just a seat cover ! they are great, they could make good out door covers for patio furniture too.
Wouldn't they go a bit gunky in the sun?!:confused: Oh I forgot - we never get any sun.

The 8th Gem
29-08-2008, 09:49 AM
hehe good isn't it?....she has always come up with lots of wonderful ideas

Paulak
29-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Brilliant idea - never heard of knitting with plastic before - how is it done? Presumably cut into strips?? How do you join the strips?

The 8th Gem
30-08-2008, 06:15 AM
2 methods...one long continuous strip or a double linked 'yarn'
method one...
http://cocoknits.com/info/tutorials/plasticbagknit.html

method two...
http://hellejorgensen.typepad.com/gooseflesh/2007/02/plastic_bag_yar.html

the second is the easier to cut l think but you have a choice
good luck
Suz

Paulak
30-08-2008, 11:48 AM
thanks for that - its amazing!

venusspecimen
01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
I started the project a while back using Morrison Carrier bags. I in midst of making a bag. Just wondered if anyone has tried this.

hi there. there's a fabulous and very easy pattern with great tips in erika knight book. i've made several and find the new sainsburys bags the best to use. hope this helps. another great carrier to work with is waitrose ones but not the ones you get in the store, the ones that you get with online deliveries. they're amazing to work with and work really great.

rifka
02-09-2008, 01:39 PM
i have
but it hurts my hands
found a pattern that uses yarn to knit with the plastic
it makes it little bit easier
but i find it to fiddly
no smooth knitting\
rifka:p

frances2710
22-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi

This is a great idea! So eco too! I had heard that you could knit with plastic bags but have not attempted it yet - you'll have to let me know how you get on with it and maybe I'll give it a go myself!

x

frances2710
22-10-2008, 01:17 PM
On the same kind of thread...I have a friend who attempted knitting with old frumpy dresses from charity shops! She bought ones with good bright patterns on that were far too hideous to wear, cut them into long strips and knitted them up. She said that it was a good result, if you got the right pattern and the material was stretchy too.
This might be an idea for knitting up shopping bags too!

x

The 8th Gem
23-10-2008, 08:08 AM
have recycled my old T-shirts used crochet and knitted.....make brill items