PDA

View Full Version : ebay shops - I just don't understand!

craftsensations
20-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Sorry guys, I'm in question mode today!! Just for a change I know ;)

Ok being the total techno thickie that I am, I just don't get ebay! I've set up a shop, got a feedback socre of 5 and I use paypal so should be able to list my stuff under shop inventory. I keep emailing them but they're not much hep - I go to the main sell page and then I get stuck! They keep telling me to select various categories but I can't see where to do that!

I know lots of you ahve ebay shops - can anyone help pleeeease????

:pc:

saraeden
20-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Not sure if this helps but here goes
When you click the sell button it takes you to a choice ... choose advanced sell ... then click continue
Put a couple of keywords in the box to describe your item

Say im selling a brooch i would put in fabric , brooch

it should then come up with a choice of categories choose a category that you think suits your item

you should then be able to go on to list your item !!

the shop inventory feature is further down the page after the describe your item box !!

I hope this helps !!

craftsensations
20-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Oh my god you are an angel!!! Thank you so much - it's been driving me CRAZY and ebay is the only option for selling at the mo as my sis can't do aything on my actual site at the mo so can't list products on there yet.

THANK YOU!!!!

:jump:

Roseberry Crafts
20-08-2008, 03:29 PM
I really hate to be a party pooper but are you absolutely sure you want/ need to open an eBay shop? I say this because although I have been selling on there for 4 years I have recently had such bad experiences with them that I am currently in the process of closing both my eBay accounts and have vowed never to have anything to do with them again! Ebay must have had more money out of me in the last year than I've made!

Recently they have accused me of putting a link on some of my listings (my web address was visible on the packaging of some of my items in the photo!) and avoiding fees by offering people a choice of colourway in one listing (apparently I should have listed them all separately, which wouldn't have been worth doing)!

In my opinion eBay are becoming frighteningly greedy and dictatorial and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone as a selling venue! If you are selling handmade goods then there are a growing number of online sites through which you can sell (Folksy, Etsy to name but a couple).

I hope this post hasn't upset anyone (I'm not normally one to force my views on people) but I hate the idea of anyone falling into the same trap that I did. The eBay shop Inventory format is a con. It actually ends up costing you the same to list as it does for a "fixed price" and your visibility is poorer because you don't get the same visability as the auction/ fixed price items.

If your items are higher priced and sell quickly (ie, don't need re-listing) then it may work for you, but all I can say is keep an eye on those fees and good luck!

samigail
20-08-2008, 07:17 PM
I don't like ebay, have you tried ebid.
It is so much cheaper than ebay, and friendlier and helpful too. The forums are full of people really willing to help, - even competitors!
And you gain loyalty points too.
If you'd like to join ebid, have a look at my website - there is a link to join from there and if you follow that link i'll get some 'buddy points'.
if you do sign up, pm me your shop link, i'll offer any help I can

fiona

ask84
21-08-2008, 05:25 PM
The eBay shop Inventory format is a con. It actually ends up costing you the same to list as it does for a "fixed price" and your visibility is poorer because you don't get the same visability as the auction/ fixed price items.

thats absolutely right I myself opened a shop on ebay but soon I realized that this is not the way forward so I've recently created my own website at akfashionaccessories dot com (you know what I mean!) and linked it to my ebay listings. As ebay doesn't allow us to directly provide a link on the item description page, I created a me page on ebay with my website linked to it and then add a me page link on my listing! its a long shot but it does work ;)!

Anyways t'care and best of luck!
Byee
Asma.k

craftsensations
21-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys! If any of you have been following my other thread today, after ebay have hicked up the prices to a stoooopid amount, I've cancelled my shop.

Am currently looking at other options - I even have a colour coded spreadsheet and everything! :)

Thanks for the info on ebid - is it just an auction thing though or can you do sell it now things? Will certainly mention you if I did sign up!

Roseberry Crafts
21-08-2008, 05:50 PM
I created a me page on ebay with my website linked to it and then add a me page link on my listing! its a long shot but it does work ;)!

Well I'm sorry but that didn't work for me! I even wrote things like

"for postage and returns information please visit my me page" (clickable link on the word me)

I just don't think people ever bothered to look!

I also had customers who purchased items from me via eBay and still came back to eBay for second and even third purchases even though I'd sent them all the details of my website in their parcels. The two main details being that they could still use Paypal and that postage is free on my website! You'd have thought if they'd read this they'd have taken advantage of it. I know I would! And yes the items in question were available on both sites. The point I am making is that these customers were given the option to buy an item from eBay for 99p plus 36p p&p or the identical item from my website for 99p and zero p&p but they still went back to eBay with blinkers on!

Yes I can sell bucket loads on eBay but it makes me no profit whatsoever so there is just no point anymore.

Valmade
26-08-2008, 09:59 AM
If your stuff is hand made or craft supply related you can check out dawanda as well.

It's currently free to list items, you just pay a fee if it sells. There is a link in my sig which will take you there if you want to see if it will work for you.

Good luck.

Val

samigail
26-08-2008, 07:34 PM
ebid - yes you can list buy it now style - that's what i do.
I like the way I paid my monthly fee and I can list as much as I want

if you want any ebid help just give me a shout, I'll give as much help as I can

justoneoff
31-08-2008, 03:06 PM
I have heard that ebay have put up their prices soooo much that they are practically forcing people out of business.

I haven't really heard much about ebid - do many of you get much sales from this?

Debbie

jumiclads
31-08-2008, 03:23 PM
I have tried Ebay and it all depends on whether the right person sees them at the right time and the fees are going up again so I have made web site and I am trying to redirect everyone to them. It may take a while but its worth it in the end.:)