PDA

View Full Version : Troll bead charms?

The 8th Gem
12-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Anyone compared the genuine Troll beads with the 2 main competitors...Biagi and Pandora....was wondering if the quality was any different...l know the prices are!
Real Trolls are 19.50 start price to hundreds for one bead!!!!
Bought some the other day for 50p nice enough but not real!!
Love the idea of a story/occassion to each bead
Suz

silvermaid
12-08-2008, 11:08 AM
I personally think the 'named make' beads are overpriced but they do seem to be popular. The prices are too high to be able to buy them to sell on unless you can buy them wholesale or as an agent and I don't think I would like to invest that much money as it could be another fad which will suddenly vanish.
I really like the silver core beads that the lampworkers make though, at least you know they are totally unique, and not churned out in a factory which I assume the 'named' ones are.
I have also bought a selection of 50p ones to see if they sell at my craft fairs. I don't like SP chain as I think it tarnishes too quickly so I am going to try them on thong bracelets.

Melanie

The 8th Gem
12-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi Melanie...have seen one gold with a diamond in for 800....gulp!

Lampwork beads ....some beauties too been doing a bit of reseach found some wonderful silver core beads...going to The Midlands Bead Fair on 31st.....hoping to find a few gems!! lol
Have even thought of doing a lampwork bead class too...then no one would have them! lol
Suz

auntynet
12-08-2008, 09:10 PM
I always fancied a charm bracelet when I was younger but I thought they seemed a bit naff now but I think these ones are a great new, modern take on the old designs so I bought myself one of these bracelets and one charm when I visited the wholesaler I use about a 3 weeks ago. The bracelets are not exactly the same as the brand name ones but they they are sterling and work out at just under 10 for the bracelet and the charms start at around 2.50 each. I figured when someone is at a loose end as to what to buy me for xmas, birthdays etc then they can buy me a charm/bead.

I wear mine virtually everyday (bought myself another bead today to go with the first one:D) and one of my regular customers at the market asked me about it. I explained that it was a "copy" of the branded ones but she didn't care and asked if I could get her one and a couple of beads to go on it.

She was expecting to pay around 60 - 70 for it!!!!!:o:o:o

I'm happy to double my money on it but its not something I want to get into selling because of the outlay.

Bumpy Beads
12-08-2008, 09:43 PM
My preference is for the lampworker silver core beads for the same reason as Melanie. They're complete one-offs. More and more lampworkers are making these now. I've had a go myself, but they're so labour intensive and it's so easy to break the bead when you're hammering the core in. Doh! I'll leave it to the experts.

The 8th Gem
12-08-2008, 09:57 PM
After looking at lampworkers for the last 2 days l agree!!...love your fossil beads by the way...gorgeous glass and a great article...well deserved Bumpy beads
Suz

http://8thofthe8thofthe8th.blogspot.com/ (http://8thofthe8thofthe8th.blogspot.com/)

http://shropshirescrappersuz.blogspot.com/ (http://shropshirescrappersuz.blogspot.com/)

Selina
12-08-2008, 10:00 PM
I have a Pandora bracelet which I love. The beads can be very expensive though, they start at about 17 ish and I have one which is silver and gold which was about 76. Have lots of space left still for more!!!!LOL Selina

The 8th Gem
12-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Hi Selina...mt friend has a Pandora bracelet too she loves it....love the idea of each bead meaning something in your life bought for a special occassion....promise to be good and maybe Father Christmas will bring me one! lol

http://8thofthe8thofthe8th.blogspot.com/ (http://8thofthe8thofthe8th.blogspot.com/)

http://shropshirescrappersuz.blogspot.com/ (http://shropshirescrappersuz.blogspot.com/)

RenataHarris
14-08-2008, 02:06 AM
Never heard of them.

Troll beads as in those cute/ugly dolls with neon hair? I would LOVE some of them i used to be trollcrazy!!

The 8th Gem
14-08-2008, 10:15 AM
hehehehe not far from the truth there same place of origin anyway..Denmark
love the sound of the neon hair!! lol
Basically a 21 century version of a charm bracelet...a number of designer/lampworkers are making them now though so you can get some stunning additions

Each bead charm is supposed to have a history or bought for an occassion so its 'special' to that bead and that person
Suz....actually l think l might still have one or two of the neon haired creatures some where too!! lol :o

sam123
04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
This is a bit tricky. As someone who makes silver core beads myself I have looked around loads at what is available and just a few words to guide you (don't worry I am not going to try to sell you my beads!!!)
Be careful of the sizes of the cores!! some don't fit Pandora etc I think (goes off to check website!!!)....
4mm silver core fits Troll bead systems and 5mm fits troll and pandora systems, they are not all compatible with each other. Not sure about Biagi.

The price can seem a little steep and without getting precious etc about whay some are more expensive than others it is simply about the fact that some are mass produced and some are not. troll and pandora are mass produced but i think on a smaller scale and the big selling point is that each bead is supposed to have a story to it! or bought for a reason etc. The ones costing only a few quid may only be silver plated and the core glued in and not hand placed.

Thos lampworkers who core their own beads make them from the very start to the very end that is make the bead, anneal the bead, clean the bead place the silver core either by using dapping punches and a hammer or a coring gadget and then polishing the core. Roughyl (depending on the bead itself) making a silver core bead can take around 1 hour!!! (not including annealing time in the kiln!!!)
I do hope that does not sound like i got on my soapbox cos that was not my intention at all just wanted to explain. And they do make beautiful gifts and look fab on. I have one and I love it!!

The 8th Gem
05-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi thanx Sam...lots of info there did my homework so did find out about the core sizes being different...and decided l would like to buy individual lampwork beads (even more special then) if l was going to buy...have already found a few lampworkers l love...ooops this is going to be expensive hehe

Also we...partner included have booked a lampwork class so maybe we'll be making my own some day too lol
Will look at your work when you post too
Suz

coolkat
02-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Hi i bought a sterling silver bracelet from USA known as BIagli but i have Pandora beads on it. They look fab and i really love it! I must admit though some of the cheap beads are nice too. My one complaint is the quality of the clasp on the biagli bracelet, it doesn't seem that strong. I also have a locking safety chain which consists of 2 beads with clear rubber inserts which can be put anywhere on the chain, not just on the raised bits and although they work they seem weak, the rubber bits are nearly jumping out!

LvUEudora
14-11-2008, 09:14 AM
maybe there are not many essential differences, such as their materials. but as you say, price can just tell one brand from another. i am still not quite familiar with all of them, but i am sure they have their own designing theories.

janeuk
30-03-2010, 04:46 PM
i cant get enough of these !!!
my boyfriend bought me a starter kit not long after we first met and everytime we have an anniversary or a special occasion in our lives he buys me a new bead to go on it. i stick to the genuine article as a relative tried to be helpful and got me some "fakes" at xmas some of them didnt want to fit on the chain, the glass ones broke and the metal ones all turned green !!! you dont have to be rich we get them from a good reputable firm online. i checked with the manufacturers and Joshua James Jewellery are known stockists so i know they are genuine. i really like the idea that my bracelet tells the story of my life its kinda like a charm bracelet for the 21st century!!!

hope this helps !!!

Lilac Moon
30-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Wow Janeuk you managed to find a really old thread...:D

sparrow
13-05-2010, 05:38 AM
Lol, methinks that's a spammer, not realising the link (which I assume is meant to go on the underlined bit) won't be working until after 25 posts :)

supersockmonkeys
17-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Pandora is a brand,all right?