• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris W
    500+ Crafters Club
    • Mar 2008

Ebay Beadalon Shop or Not?

I have been thinking about the possibility of opening an Ebay shop selling Beadalon findings. I have a wholesale account with them because some of their more unusual items I can't buy in the UK. Do forum members think this is a good idea or not? I would be grateful for any comments at all as I am totally unsure.
    Chris W.
    x
    Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts
  • glasskanvas
    500+ Crafters Club
    • Mar 2007

I think it's a really good idea!

A lot of people (myself included) have moaned about ebay due to fees, changes to rules etc but there's no getting around the fact that ebay dominates the market! It's an excellent way to build a contact list and get you and your products noticed.

With the type of products you want to sell you might face competition from Chinese based sellers who will always be cheaper-but- I know i'm not alone when I say I much prefer to buy from a seller based in this country that's easy to contact and helpful. I say go for it!
    Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
    Dichroic Glass Tutorials
    Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

• auntynet
      Mega Crafter
      • Jun 2008

I agree with GK 100% and would like to add that buying from Chinese sellers usually means at least a week (sometimes as long as 3 weeks) for delivery. Don't know about you but when I want something, I want it now so will order from UK sellers before overseas sellers.

I'd buy from you.
      Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

• Kiamyka
        Super crafter
        • Jun 2008

Hi Chris have you thought about trying Ebid out? much cheaper to sell on there and I would buy too
        Chris xx
        My Website
        My Blog

Comment

• BeadsbyLili
          Super Big Crafter
          • Jun 2007

Hi Chris - yes there are lots of sellers out there competing for a piece of the market but why dont you test the water with a few listings first.. then if things look good maybe move onto bigger things ?
          Mel

Comment

• Pebbles
            Super crafter
            • Oct 2007

I would be interested in buying different and unusual findings at reasonable prices.

It is so unfair that there is more choice in America!
            www.beadlab.com

Comment

• Carol29
              100+ crafts club
              • Apr 2008

I agree, I would be interested. I do buy from the Chineese sellers but fight over every delivery because of postal charges which are completely over priced! I found an English supplier of sterling silver french hook earrings who is a joy to order from with prices are competitive and postage is minimal.

If you get the delivery prices right I think it would be worth testing the waters.

Good luck with it.
              Carol
              http://www.facebook.com/#!/CarolShawJewellery

Comment

• beadsbydesign
                Super Moderator
                Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
                • Jan 2006

There are a lot of sellers on ebay who have cut their profits to the bare minimum.
                Look realistically at the prices you buy your products for + the ebay listing price +sellers fee + paypal fee + shop fee = the cost before you add on your profit. (How much profit do you want?)
                Then look at what other sellers are selling the item for. You'll find that most sellers on ebay line up their prices.
                If the prospects look good then go for it. If they don't, then don't bother.
                full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

• Chris W
                  500+ Crafters Club
                  • Mar 2008

Many thanks

Many thanks for all the great advice, next time I order from Beadalon I am going to try a few items on Ebay. If anyone has any suggestions for Beadalon products that are unavailable in the UK and might sell on Ebay I would be glad to hear them. I use E Z crimps which you can't get here as far as I know, they are a bit expensive but are the best finishing system I have come across so I may try to sell those. I also use their organza ribbon for packaging and of course the 49 strand beading wire.
                  Chris W.
                  x
                  Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

• auntynet
                    Mega Crafter
                    • Jun 2008

Not many sellers have the bead bumpers. I had terrible trouble finding some earlier this year and had to order from the US.
                    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

• Bea
                      Super crafter
                      • Nov 2004

There is a UK website spe******ing in Beadalon products, that's all they sell and they stock a huge range from them. I *think* they may have an ebay shop but would have to double check.

You can only try but you'd have to list quite a few items to make it worth it.

On one my US purchases last week the $ dropped to 1.80 when only a few months ago I could get it for about 1.95. Bear this in mind - although if you already buy from the US I am sure you are aware!
                      Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Working...
                      X