PDA

View Full Version : Rude bead lady

lauraj
29-07-2008, 03:59 PM
I was in a certian bead shiop in Edinburgh today (better not say which one) but I walked out very unhappy as the service was shocking. Barely got acknowledged when I went in, and I was the only customer. Whem I left I said, thanks, bye. The lady went bye in a really bored voice and didnt even look up from her maaagazine. This would put me off going back and I will look for other shops in future.

kalinda
29-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Sorry to hear your first visit to the bead shop was not the best, but it could just be that she was having a bad day. And yes, we all know that she should not take her problems to work, but sometimes...
My first experience in my local bead shop was not very welcoming either. The woman behind the counter seemed just grumpy and uninterested in any of it. I have continued to go there, and I do chat to her loads now and she is even very helpful when asked about beading.
So, my advice, don't get too wound up about it, maybe next time she will be more polite, you never know.
Monica

lauraj
29-07-2008, 05:33 PM
wasnt the first time I been in. Was about the 4th. Hope shes in a better mood tomorrow and doesnt scare away anymore people

Chris W
29-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I sell beads in my shop, I always say hello to whoever comes in and do my best to be cheerful. If I was grumpy or rude I just wouldn't have any regular customers and shop work is fun anyway.

Pebbles
30-07-2008, 10:40 AM
I pm'ed you, but the gist of the reply was......

I would be in my absolute element if I got to work in a bead shop, spend all day surrounded by beads and people interested in beads.......

I was always good at retail, I worked as a checkout chick whilst at uni and used the old, "would you like fries with that" selling technique employed by the nations favourite burger retailer and managed to sell all sorts of crazy stuff to people....... "I think you need some beans with that, ooh, and possibly a bottle of tomato sauce, ooh and see that over there, you need one of them....." I found it amusing!

Why oh why am I in this job? I don't get to sell anything!

Seahorse
30-07-2008, 05:48 PM
I can understand your annoyance at the way you were treated but it wouldnt stop me from buying anything if I really wanted it.
Just buy what you want but dont say thanks or bye when you leave.

Critchley
30-07-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm a stubburn old $&@*& (They have milked nicer ladies in Guersey) and I would cut my nose off to spite my face but I would not put money in the pocket of anyone that treated me like that.
Before you all fall on me with your swords I know that is not the right attitude so I must be a bit sensitive to atmosphere.

goldy1
30-07-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm a stubburn old $&@*& (They have milked nicer ladies in Guersey) and I would cut my nose off to spite my face but I would not put money in the pocket of anyone that treated me like that.
Before you all fall on me with your swords I know that is not the right attitude so I must be a bit sensitive to atmosphere.

I'm with you Carol I'd not go back again.

Critchley
30-07-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm with you Carol I'd not go back again.

I see Goldi there is quite a few of us on Guersey then lol.

Annette
30-07-2008, 07:39 PM
I think there must be a whole herd of us, It takes nothing to be courteous, even if life is rubbish, and believe it or not if you smile it helps lift your mood :mf:

ericajones80
07-08-2008, 09:25 PM
where do these people learn customer service?

Critchley
07-08-2008, 09:34 PM
where do these people learn customer service?
I'll tell you a funny about Customer Service.
I had aged Aunt out shopping in her wheelchair. I needed a nose clip for swimming so wheeled her into JJB Sports Shop. (I'm sure you hacve heard of them). I hadn't got the front wheels over the doorstep when this young, very keen assistant pounced on us. "Can I help" she said. Well I couldn't resist it so replied "Yes please, a pair of running shoes for the lady here" pointing down to the wheelchair. "What size" she asked heading up the shop!!!!!!!

Bea
07-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I bet she wasn't the shop owner. If it's quiet and she's reading a magazine you'd think she'd want to chat.
Customer service is so important in a competitive market, it's a shame people who deal directly with customers lack it.

Don't forget it's the Perth Bead fair on 31st August (we can't make it but there's a room full of traders and you are advised to book a ticket in advance).

WolfSong2000
09-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Where I work (retail) I spend a lot of time sitting and reading, so don't always say hello to everyone who walks through the door, but at the same time I like to think I'm friendly and helpful - have a lot of regulars who come back again and again.

If I'm being served from someone who appears grumpy, my usual response is "bad day?" people like to be acknowledged and sometimes just need someone to vent to a little bit if they've had a long/bad day or whatever. It takes 2 seconds to listen and they usually perk up a lot, and you end up with much better service as a bonus :)

AmyE
09-08-2008, 07:52 PM
I have to say the women in my local bead shop are not that friendly either. Im in there pretty regularly but they dont seem to aknowledge i exist. They are so busy making things at their table you actually have to ask them if you can pay....

pink
14-08-2008, 12:00 AM
It's awful when you receive bad service. I was saying the same thing to a friend this evening when I went to the pub. The lady that served us (on 3 different occasions!) could not muster a smile and spent more time chatting to her friend behind the bar. I said that it most probably wasn't her own business or her parents'!

When we run our own businesses, we can't afford to have 'bad' days or you will lose your customers and that is the bottom line. Take your business elsewhere!

Alison

glasgowmike
14-08-2008, 09:34 AM
As a soon to be bead shop owner, this gives me pause as I know I will have some down days. My hope would be that there is someone - the staff or the customers - that will be there to cheer me up. Perhaps you should go and have a private word with the owner and let her/him know how you feel? It might be the thing that turns them/the store around. Reading this thread, I am now convinced to have a suggestion box so our customers know we want to hear from them - the good & bad. We want to continually improve and be a store that is fun. It will take input from customers to make it possible.

Georgia
20-08-2008, 09:14 PM
I try to look in my local beadshop (actually it's in a garden centre) before going online, a] because it's quicker and b] because,if I don't support them,then when I do need something in a hurry they may no longer be there.
But if the service is poor, it would put me off too and maybe I wouldn't bother. It is a two way street.

AmyE
03-09-2008, 08:37 PM
grrrr. I had to revive this thread again as I went into previously mentioned bead shop today and their customer service drives me mad.

The woman looked directly at me as i came in, and said NOTHING.

Then as i was paying i commented on the fact that i had been in the shop about 50mins and was totally ignored - the 2 women were discussing their website and just carried on chatting whilst 'serving' me (oh apart from '9.99 please'). no goodbye either.

I am kind of wishing they were members of this forum and saw this post. If it was some paid assistant i can understand but they OWN the blummin shop.

And breathe.....rant over....

Ifor-Jones
03-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Not a lot of improvement then!!!! That would make me really annoyed too. They don't deserve to do well with that attitude.

Ger
03-09-2008, 09:17 PM
No there is no need for it at all:mad: I just opened my own craft & gift shop about 9 weeks ago and I make a point of saying hello to every customers that has taken the time to some into my humble abode :) Even if I have a customer in front of me I'll try and pop my head round to acknowlege them, I would never be reading a mag in the front shop, I know we can all have down days but come on you can't take it out on the customers at the end of the day they pay my wage and are the reason I'm getting to live my deam :)

Louise88
03-09-2008, 09:21 PM
I pm'ed you, but the gist of the reply was......

I would be in my absolute element if I got to work in a bead shop, spend all day surrounded by beads and people interested in beads.......

I was always good at retail, I worked as a checkout chick whilst at uni and used the old, "would you like fries with that" selling technique employed by the nations favourite burger retailer and managed to sell all sorts of crazy stuff to people....... "I think you need some beans with that, ooh, and possibly a bottle of tomato sauce, ooh and see that over there, you need one of them....." I found it amusing!

Why oh why am I in this job? I don't get to sell anything!

Don't be fooled! The shop i work in sells allsorts of crafts including my favourite; beads, it's not great when you want to buy everything in sight, and even worse when staff discount tempts you even more!!!! ;)

nattynetty
03-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Maybe it's just because me and Ger are newbie shopkeepers (or maybe it's because we're nice friendly people) but I too always say hello to customers. If I'm busy serving another customer when they come in I'll always make sure they get a cheery hello as soon as I'm free. I'll always engage in conversation too if the customer is willing...and lets face it most crafters like a good old natter ;)

Even when I'm having a poo day I'll still be friendly...there's no excuse not to really.

Louise88
03-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't always say hello if i am serving a customer, but i try to smile, and if it's quiet i will ask people if they are looking for something in particular.
When it is busy though it's hard to keep a track of who is in the shop! Some saturdays i think i go an hour before i remember to breathe lol! Especially around Christmas time. :)

jacksonhen
03-09-2008, 10:08 PM
You should avoid shopping in Coventry then!

I was talking to a local shop owner who comes from Belfast and she'd noticed that when she says hello to people coming into her shop they turn around and walk out or look extremely worried.
I said thats cos they're not used to 'friendly' in this neck of the woods so its a bit of a shock. She said she feels that they think she'll be locking them in until they buy something.
I've lived in the Midlands all my life and often get the same comment from 'foreigners'. Has anyone else noticed this?
Is it just the Midlands? I always find the north extremely friendly, south, east and west are fine too - does something happen when you get to the midlands?
Having said that i'm very used to shop assistants just 'grunting' at you when they can be bothered so don't tend to notice it so much. I just expect a general lack of service then i can't be disappointed!

Louise88
03-09-2008, 10:18 PM
I must admit when i walk into a shop and somebody says hello or asks what i am looking for (I know it sounds silly) it intimidates me as i feel i am being watched and then i feel i have to buy something for fear of being rude.
There is a shoe shop where i live (they must be on commision) you literally get pounced by three different women. What are you looking for, what size are you, these would suit you, how much do you want to spend!

Same with Claires Accessories, you get near enough to the doorway and they thrust a basket in your face! Then when you hand it back empty you feel guilty!

It can work both ways.

Selina
03-09-2008, 10:24 PM
I have my own hair salon not too far from Coventry (about 10 miles) and we get the best comments about how friendly our shop is. We always acknowledge people when they come in and ask how we can help. Its slightly different I know because I'm not trying to get anyone to buy anything, they know what they want before they come in! I also tell all my staff that I don't care what sort of awful mood they are in or how bad their day is, when they are in the salon they are in a good mood, save the bad moods for the staff room!!!! Selina

nattynetty
03-09-2008, 11:19 PM
I must admit when i walk into a shop and somebody says hello or asks what i am looking for (I know it sounds silly) it intimidates me

Not silly at all, I feel like that too in shops when I get pounced on straight away and asked if I need any help. In my shop after I've said hello I'll usually leave it a few minutes and then tell them if they need any help to just give me a shout - you can usually tell by their response whether they are crafters or just browsers....and also if they are up for a chat or not.

And I agree, shoe shops seem to be the worst for being pounced on :o

ngjewel
03-09-2008, 11:45 PM
My mum moved from Buckinghamshire down to Somerset about 5 years ago. Now everytime she comes to visit us in Greenwich she says hello to complete strangers - they think she's mad!!!!

Welcome to London - where smiling is seen as a sign of weakness!!!!!

And don't ask me about the time we ended up in London on the Pride March weekend and one of the more elaborate participants stepped out 2 foot in from of her....... purple felt heart and body glitter have a strange effect on a60 year old woman!!!

Louise88
03-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Not silly at all, I feel like that too in shops when I get pounced on straight away and asked if I need any help. In my shop after I've said hello I'll usually leave it a few minutes and then tell them if they need any help to just give me a shout - you can usually tell by their response whether they are crafters or just browsers....and also if they are up for a chat or not.

And I agree, shoe shops seem to be the worst for being pounced on :o

Oh i'm so glad some one understands how I feel! :)

jacksonhen
04-09-2008, 07:15 PM
My lady doesn't pounce - honest! She's usually having a cup of tea and reading through a stock magazine. She's just acknowledging people - i think its cos the shop is in a village and she's "not from round 'ere!"
"Stick to the path" and all that!;)