PDA

View Full Version : Using miniatures etc- is this cheating??

mrschambers
23-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi there,

I'm Helen and Im new to the forum - so hello to everyone.

I've been dabbling with making my own cards for a while and am considering maybe selling a few bits and bobs on ebay - nothing too serious, but wiht maybe one day developing my own website and sellingmy cards. All a looong way off though.

So here's my question - if I use ore bought miniatures and embellishments (not full toppers though, just single peices) am I cheating? Should I really be making all these things from scratch??

And replies would be much appreciated, and it's good to join you all on the forum,

Thanks,

Helen

Poppy4lee
23-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi Helen & (welcome) - I don't think that's cheating at all, the overall design will be yours and you will have made the card yourself, so, personally, I don't see a problem!

crafty sara
23-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi

I make cards and I use both I dont class it as cheating. Especially when you have to make a large number of cards

Sara x

craftyjan
23-06-2008, 01:22 PM
definately not cheating i use minatures and embellishment but its your design and how you use the things and if your making lots of cards its a necessity

Hannah
23-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi and (welcome)

I dont think its cheating, I personally prefer to make my own things BUT I will use ones I have bought too.

Good luck with the card making - I am addicted lol

xHannah

Ifor-Jones
23-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Not cheating. I think we all use a great mix of things when making cards and some bought embellishments etc are very good. I would just say that there needs to be some thought with the design though, not just a question of here is a card, here is am embellishment - that's that then.

stallfinder
23-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I use a mix too. I like to make my own when I can but sometimes buy them. I often add bits to them and I use a lot of the little jewels. I'd like to try and make some fimo toppers myself but I'm not sure where to start.

mrschambers
23-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies :)

I'm glad you all pretty much said the same thing, as that's what I was kind of thinking anyway.

I'm really looking forwards to really getting started on my card making. I'm currently a stay at home mum with two kids under the age of two, so I need to do a little something for myself.

Also looking forwards to using this forum lots more too :mf:

Hannah
23-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Snap! (sort of) I am a stay at home mum too with 2 boys, one is 11months and the other is 2 and a half. When do you manage to fit things in? I get to do my cards when they nap at lunchtime (if I am lucky) then late in the evenings.

xHannah

Carol29
23-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Definitely NOT cheating, as has been said before the design will be yours, to make some embelishments would take ages and you certainly won't make the money back on your time.

Good luck with selling your cards.

:mf:

Pagan
23-06-2008, 10:19 PM
yup, what they all said :D I use store bought embellishments as well as my own made all the time.

mrschambers
25-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys :D

Hannah - I tend to fit things in when they have their nap (between 1 and 2 hours around lunchtime) and then more in theevenings. They're in bed by 7pm so that gives me a good chance to get stuck in. Tiring though, isn't it??

Ideas In Paper
25-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi and(welcome)
I agree with everyone else it's definetly not cheating... But how you find the energy to make cards and look after 2 children I don't know!! I'm tired just thinking bout it:sleep:.

sazzle
25-06-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm so glad you asked this question as I'd been wondering the same thing, I'm new the crafting community so wasn't sure how things stand.
I also have a toddler and a baby, and like you would like to sell my cards when I improve my skills. It seems like this is a good place to be to be around like-minded people! x

SusieQ
26-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Definately not cheating!!! Have a look at TipTops Toppers on the forum. They are GORGEOUS!!!!!! You won't be able to resist using them!!!! Sue xx:D

mrschambers
26-06-2008, 08:17 PM
SusieQ - I just checked them out and I LOVE them - may have to purchase a few bits. Are they OK to use on cards that are going to be on sale?? OR does she prefer them only to be used on cards for personal use?

ickle pickle
27-06-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't think it's cheating :)

chaz
04-07-2008, 01:09 AM
hi
i make cards too
i have five childern and still have the time for craft
how i do it ?
i dont now but my family is very supportive
you will love card making as you will learn somthing new every time you craft
i dont blame you for doing somthing for you
i got into cards when i had a boold clot in my leg i was realy ill
it took a long time for me to get right but somthing good came out of that cause i would of never made or had a go with card making and now i sell my cards but i donate a small amount to charity as they helped me get back on my feet
i hope you will do well selling yours and hope to chat to you soon

MuranoSilver
04-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Nope not cheating, oooh can you imagine if they counted every clasp, headpin etc as cheating in jewellery??
I can see the "shoppers" now ~ Sorry that lovely 200 hour hand beaded collerette isn't handmade (look the clasp is bought in!!!:sm:)

Your use all the embellishments you like!!!

Nic xx