PDA

View Full Version : Cake garlands

GinaT
18-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi there,

I have been experimenting with cake toppers for a while and have made some pretty cake garlands however I don't really know the best way of a) making sure they fit a cake (i.e how long would you make the garland for say a 6" cake??) and b) how best to secure it (my way doesnt look all that attractive!)

Does anyone do this or know the best ways? Many thanks

Gina
xx

Cardtouche
18-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi,
I'm not a professional or anything but I'lll tell you how my Mum used to do it.
She measured the cake and always left about an inch to two inches extra then she simply secured the finished garland with a dab of royal icing between the garland and the extra bit so it could be taken off the cake with no trouble.
Hope that helps...

GinaT
18-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi

Thankyou for your reply, the only problem I have is it is for a family member and I wont be there to sort it, I was hoping to see if there is away that she can do it herself (something easy as she will hate anything too fiddly!)

Thanks

Gina

knitnstitchsue
18-06-2008, 05:03 PM
a) making sure they fit a cake (i.e how long would you make the garland for say a 6" cake??)

Hi Gina

The way to make sure it fits is to use this formula: Pi x diameter i.e. 3.14 x 6" = 18.84"
If it sits on top of the cake, around the edges, 19" will probably be enough; around the sides, you may want to add a couple of inches, say 21".
Sorry I can't help with the problem of securing it.

goldy1
18-06-2008, 06:28 PM
What is the garland made off?

silvermaid
18-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Could you use a ribbon to tie the two ends together with a bow?

Melanie

GinaT
25-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Hi sorry I have been away with work :pc: nowhere exciting unfortunately!
Only just had a chance to come back to this, thanks for your posts. I think I just need to work out how to fasten them now. They are made of wires, pearls and crystals. xx

Dizzydiza
25-06-2008, 08:59 AM
What about magnetic clasps?....i dont know if it would work but certainly it may be worth a try.

goldy1
25-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Would it be posible to use something like the old style curler pins. http://www.lunabead.com/images/bridal/hair/0700H360.JPG but maybe a smaller version?

Teenybash
25-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Could you use a ribbon to tie the two ends together with a bow?

Melanie

This sounds like a good idea - make a loop on each end and secure it with a ribbon tied in a bow.

XXChris