PDA

View Full Version : Does this happen to you?

kalinda
11-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi all,
how is life doing? I am a bit frustrated since I am not making jewellery as much as I would like to at the moment. It will all be better in september when both my kids will go school full time.
I have also put my name down in the school to have a stall in the Christmas fair (I know it's ages to go, but gives me some kind of goal). I am not trying to make a living out of my beading but selling some of it and maybe recooping the money I have invested sounds good to me.
Anyway, what I find is that once I make a piece of jewellery I do not want to put it away with the "to sell" box. I just want to keep them all. I obviously only make things I like, if I am making something and I do not like its looks I undo it and start over again, so I end up with lots of earrings (mainly) that I love and I do not want to get rid of.
I am aware that when I eventually sell something to somebody I want to push the approach that is very unlikely they will find someone else wearing the same. But that will be a false statement if I make myself copies of the ones I really like.
Do you suffer from the same "disease"?
Anyway, have fun and happy beading!!
Monica

Seahorse
11-06-2008, 03:56 PM
I dont think it hurts to make a copy for yourself.Its your design after all.

I have wanted to keep a number of my necklaces.I wear some when I go out just hoping someone will see it, like it and ask me where I got it.
I will have to be brave if/when I sell the ones I want to keep.

silvermaid
11-06-2008, 04:07 PM
I know what you mean, I have an ever growing collection of lampwork beads that I am reluctant to part with as I only buy the ones I love. If I have enough in a set I make up one to sell and one for me.:mf:
Maybe you could get round the 'one of a kind' thing by altering them slightly, putting a turquoise bead rather than a blue etc next to the focal. Or explain that you liked them so much you made another pair just for you.

Melanie

Pebbles
11-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah I went to a craft fair where the girl (fused glass jewellery) said she makes only two of each design, one for her and one to sell! We had a bit of a laugh about how much jewellery she owned, I got the impression that it was an obscene amount!

I only make things I like too and find it incredibly hard to part with them..... but then again, there are two or three pieces of jewellery that I have had kicking about for about a year and I can't seem to shift them, I don't like them! I think that is the problem........ Maybe I emit negative thoughts over those ones!

Rico121
11-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Lol, I make jewellery for a part of my living and my girlfriend steals most of my stock. At least you get some use out of yours ;) not that I mind, at least I know its nice enough to wear :D

Mike

ricocostumejewellery.co.uk

Carol29
11-06-2008, 04:48 PM
I agree,

Every piece I make is like my "baby". I wear them every day and when someone wants to buy a piece or an order comes in from the website I am a little sad, but then I'm lifted by the fact that they love the piece as much as I do...a great compliment!

Keep making and enjoying evey piece you make. It means you'll probably never wear the same piece twice!

legioiedigio
11-06-2008, 05:05 PM
When I create I have the contact with natural stones and this give me positive energy

ShinySilver
11-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I have a similar problem too! I think you naturally tend to make things that suit your own style.
So sometimes I try and expand on that a little, make things larger or smaller than is really 'me' or create other variations on a theme that means I'm making originals all the time, even if only slightly so!

Randi
11-06-2008, 06:03 PM
I never want to give anything I make away!! EVen those I specifically make for presents! :D So I know how you feel!

craftyjan
11-06-2008, 07:08 PM
i dont think i would be able to part with the jewelry im a bit of magpie for collecting things thats why my house is so stuffed i love costume jewelry and put something different on every day and plan to make my own as im getting the stash i need for my birthday and i cant wait august seems ages away i wont be selling them though just hoarding if i make something i really like i dont like giving it away i think thats why ive started scrapbooking so i can try out techniques then keep the end product

Pagan
11-06-2008, 07:14 PM
well you could always look at it this way.....the 'copy' you make for yourself could really be a marketing sample to advertise your products :D

Chris W
11-06-2008, 07:45 PM
I can understand how you feel but I believe if something gives you pleasure it is good to pass it on. That way you just keep on making new and different designs and get a flow going. I did once keep a necklace made from irresisitable, beautiful, lapis beads, but nothing is safe from my daughters.

twinkle_77
22-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi Kalinda

It could be me writing your post lol and i have only just started making earrings!!

Bead Queen
23-07-2008, 01:45 AM
I definately suffer with the same as you lol.

When i have a good beading session, i always want to keep the stuff i make and wear/keep it myself hehe.

I have made quite a few necklaces and earrings for my 'for sale' box, but keep bringing them back out and wearing them myself, its great advertising too :D

I have to do a few more pieces for my 'for sale' box very soon, but im hoping i wont want to keep them all ;)

Carol XXX

saraeden
23-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Im soo glad im not the only one , i work with fabric mainly and you wouldn't believe how many bags and purses i have kept because i love them too much to part with !!
I also collect vintage fabric and please dont ask how many beads i have ... ok i admit it im part magpie !!!

Sara x

Scorch
23-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Yup - I know what you mean! Definitely - make two... the profit on the one you sell will help you feel better about making one for yourself!

beckyboo
23-07-2008, 01:37 PM
ohhh this was so me this weekend

I sold quite alot of jewellery to a friend and her relatives and we decided she would take a couple of pieces to her work to see if she could get any interest.
She picked a few threaded necklaces and bracelets then 2 of my loaded charm bracelets, one of the ones she picked was my favourite one..I made it a couple of weeks ago and it has always had pride of place of my table at any craft fair but has never sold...I was heartbroken to leave it with her cause I realised I didn't want it sold,lol.
So I gave myself a good talking too and I'm now a little more prepared for it to sell.
lol does that sound really really daft ??

LaVidalerie
27-07-2008, 04:22 PM
It's weird but I almost stopped wearing jewellery when I started making it and I have a friend that is the same - used to buy and wear lots but stopped when we started making it ourselves. I have to keep reminding myselft that it is the best advertings to wear your own creations but I always think of them as being for someone else.

Mind you there are a few items I have been difficult about selling so must be keeping them for myself even if it is just to look at.

karen
website lavidalerie.com

Rudi
27-07-2008, 04:37 PM
I have the same problem! But my pieces are usually really intricate bags with linings, zips, dangly bits, chain handles, so its not as if i can quickly knock up another one!!
haha!
So my room is full of handmade bags, tutu's, jewellery and other garments!
I have so much fun making them but never have so much enthusiam the second time around!
Rudi:D

The 8th Gem
11-08-2008, 11:58 AM
lol..new here but reading this post l have to join the 'cant bear to part with brigade'

Have dabbled with many different styles of jewellery making over the years but never able to part with much.... but having dug everything out again and seeing it all in my conservatory (no work room any more) my partners said, 'you have enough to stock a small shop here!!'......ooops

Think l qualify

Georgia
20-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Yes, I'm always getting asked 'who's that for' and the response is often "ME!'' :sm:but then I'll end up being aked to make a copy for someone else. Not so hard to give away when I've already got one. And if I do make something I don't have, then I take a photo of it before it goes.

new2allthis
03-09-2008, 11:25 AM
I have a massive collection of jewellery i have made to sell and it finds it way into my jewellery box instead of the to sell pile, although the funniest experience i ever had is i made a simple necklace that i didnt like whilst waiting for my sister to arrive for a weekend stay at ours, i put it on the side to take apart and remake, but she loved it as it was and took it with her, she phoned later in the week to ask if i could make 3 more as she had been asked countless times where it was from and had sold three for me before i had even made them... shows maybe sometimes those ones we take apart because we dont love them will still be loved by someone else!!