PDA

View Full Version : dull fimo beads

deborah
07-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi,
I'm making necklaces with beads made from fimo but the result is rather dull - can anyone suggest a varnish that will really work on fimo beads - I've used sculpey gloss glaze but the beads simply don't shine.
I'd be grateful for any advice - Deborah

Pebbles
12-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Sorry you have had no reply to this. I use the Fimo Gloss Varnish, makes them very shiny.

Amethystjewellery
12-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi, I use Klear floor polish, available from all major supermarkets. Sometimes I give the beads more than one coat to get a good finish - hope this helps :)

deborah
13-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks so much to both of you - I'll give them a go.
Deborah xx

ARI
28-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi there,
I use fimo gloss varnish too, and it does just fine!
If you 're not totally happy with the gloss of your beads,have you tried mixing a dash of pearl power to the clay?You can have very nice effects,after a few tries..kind of iridescence.
Let us know!
x
ari

chaz
30-06-2008, 10:02 AM
hi
gloss varnish is good i keep a bit of old clay at hand and i stick cocktal stick in
then start varnishing it help me so i dont get finger prints on the beads

Also you can use a nail buffer when i was tranning to be a nail tec at collage i had a nail buffer i thought i would try this on the filmo beads as funny as it seems it works well they come up real shiny and look like a real stone it save you buying varnish all the time too and i think this method is a better result try it and decide for yourself;)

doodles of Tadley
30-06-2008, 10:26 AM
I usually use the Fimo varnish but have recently used clear nail varnish which is just as good and dries quicker! (It's cheaper too!)

LC's Beads
30-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Clear nail varnish might be ok for a short while but it will yellow with age.

I usually leave mine unvarnished or use a mat varnish as I don't like my beads too shiny

:)

doodles of Tadley
30-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Just as well I don't do Fimo to sell to anyone else then! I've smothered half a dozen pendants that I made for myself with clear nail varnish! It's looking OK so far!:o

ARI
30-06-2008, 05:59 PM
I think LC beads is right..When I started Fimo I read a few posts in which they advise you not to use nail varnish, as it may become yellish or even crack...It's true that the gloss from Fimo or others it's slightly more expensive (but not even that much, if you buy a decent nail varnish)
but it lasts a while..