PDA

View Full Version : Swarovski

handcrafted
04-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Are Swarovski really the best of the best beads if you want to make up market stuff? Are they more expensive than amethyst or amber etc?

auntynet
04-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Who's to say what's best?? I honestly think its a matter of personal choice. I use swarovski crystals in most of my designs just to add a bit of sparkle and I think you can tell the difference between them and czech glass crystals that aren't as expensive. You just can't mistake the shimmer of the clear ab coatingb of swarovski..

Having said that, I just made a bridal necklace with clear ab czech glass and although its stunning and the lady I made it for is over the moon with it, she admits she wouldn't know the differnce between the beads I used and swarovskis.......... apart from the price difference.

I don't believe they're expensive when you just add a few to a design (mine usually work out around 3 or 4p each for the 4mm size) but if I'd used them for the commission I just made then the selling price would have been doubled. And if I'm totally honest - it really needn't be that expensive, its just that people are willing to pay more for what they believe to be better ie a name they know.

silvermaid
04-06-2008, 11:29 PM
They are wonderfully sparkly, and really make a difference to a piece. Some gemstones look better against swaro's and others look dull against them you will have to experiment. The prices range from 3p per bead up to 12p for 4mm and 6mm bicones. The 4mm ones are smaller than you think, I prefer the 6mm.
I got a mixed pack from fan-uk on ebay which was good value and a great way to find your favourite colours.

I must warn you, your czech fire polish beads will never look the same once you have tried swarovski's.
Melanie

Dizzydiza
04-06-2008, 11:44 PM
For the stuff I produce I wouldnt go past swarovski....they are just pure sparkle but on saying that for my wire wrapped jewellery I prefer using semi precious stones but I have also mixed swarovski and semi precious stones to good effect.

auntynet
05-06-2008, 12:16 AM
I mix them all the time. I just bought some stunning African green opal beads and decided that olivine swarovskis will look perfect with them.

One of my fave commission pieces (actually it was the first one I ever did so thats probably why its my fave) was made from shiney black tourmaline, deep russet coral and clear ab crystals. The overall effect was gorgeous.

I've also used facetted amethyst beads with light rose and peridot crystals - another great colour combo.

BeadsbyLili
05-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Are Swarovski really the best of the best beads if you want to make up market stuff? Are they more expensive than amethyst or amber etc?

I think s-skis hold their own within the sparkly world of crystals but many people like semi-precious stones too - epecially the chunky beads. It more depends on the type of jewellery want to make and you could mix the two for some pieces. You also have to consider your target market and whether or they want/will pay an up-market price...?

*karen*
05-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Swarovski's are a fav of mine, I think they add something extra to a piece of jewellery and I use a lot of their crystals and pearls in all kinds of my designs.

They do add an extra cost to the designs however I have never had anyone comment on this and the Swarovski name always seems to attract buyers as they are known for their quality.

I have not used as much semi-precious, however did place a large order last night as I have had request for semi precious beads. I actually made Christmas presents for my family using semi precious beads and everyone was really pleased with them, although didn't believe I had made the jewellery myself which I guess is a compliment. Sometimes I find the semi-precious can work out more expensive than buying crystals if you are going per bead but there is such a huge range of s-p that the prices differ greatly.

Sorry - very long reply!

legioiedigio
11-06-2008, 04:47 PM
yes, it is really the best!!:mummy:

I have tried other crystals but they do not have the same light

Randi
11-06-2008, 06:05 PM
I really cannot afford decent crystals like that!! :p I'm so jealous!

I definately think they look nice but it's all personal taste how they look to others.

Beadservice
12-06-2008, 03:22 PM
It's really about personal taste...There any many women who love sparkly things, and therefore Swarovski Crystal is loved by many.

But to bring it into perspective, it is after all only glass which has a lead content that makes it shinier and easier for the manufacturer to facet.

It holds no lasting value such as gemstones, real pearls or sterling silver, but the brand name is very strong and people like it.

It comes down to what people prefer, what type of jewellery you're making, and if you're selling your jewellery what price bracket you're aiming for.

Debbie

Peter
12-06-2008, 03:57 PM
But to bring it into perspective, it is after all only glass which has a lead content that makes it shinier and easier for the manufacturer to facet.

Philistine!! :o :D

Carol29
12-06-2008, 08:44 PM
I would agree that it's all about personal taste but I do think Swarovski are the best. :mf:They have marketed themselves so well that the name is associated with quality and they do really sparkle. I love working with them and I would only use sterling silver or 14 ct gold plated findings with them and that also gives them a more upmarket feel plus you can get a good price for your pieces

Peter
12-06-2008, 09:21 PM
You want sparkly?......................:)

Carol29
12-06-2008, 11:11 PM
I love sparkly!!!!:mf::mf::mf:for us girls it's all about the sparkle!

auntynet
13-06-2008, 12:14 AM
My hubby calls it the "magpie syndrome". He reckons most women go completely gaga over anything pretty and sparkly.

Beadservice
13-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Philistine!! :eek: :D

Doooh Peter....do you go 'wide eyed and gaga' at the sparkly things as well ;)

I do like swarovski.. really..honestly (backpaddling quickly!)...I just don't want people to be blinkered into thinking it's the best and only thing worth buying.

That would be blinkered and very 'daffy duck'

Debbie

auntynet
15-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Philistine!! :eek: :D

Debbie

I do hope you're referring to my hubby with that comment. ROFLMAO :mf:

He loves calling people philistine's - especially when they don't even know what it means!! It makes a change for someone to call him one. :D Not that he is really, he thinks that Swarovskis can't be bet but he reckons he knows women. ha!! Yeh, right. :p

Julesgems
17-06-2008, 11:00 AM
If you want to see the variety of colours that are available from Swarovski, I recommend downloading our Swarovski Bicone Colour Chart. It shows you well over 100 crystal colours that are available in the bicones and has a handy diagram showing the actual size.

We really put it together to help people see the wonderful array of shades that Swarovski have created.

I was going to put a link in for you, so you could download it without having to go to our site, but I'm not allowed to put links up yet. (need to post more on the forum of course). Anyway, its on our Swarovski Crystal page on our site. Or you can email me and I'll send you a link.

It's an Adobe Pdf file about 2.5mb but shouldn't take long to download. Then you can print it off and view the colours whenever you like.

Hope you find it useful.

Rob

Peter
17-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Oh dear......................normally I would be having kittens about a poster advertising their website on a first post. :o My problem is, I think Jules Gems are absolutely brilliant! I'm going to go against the grain (rules) and recommend them myself, mainly because they have some really good offers for quantity buying. ;) Any other mods are welcome to edit/ delete/ criticise/ lambast this post! :D:D:D

Julesgems
17-06-2008, 01:02 PM
I must apologise.

I really did not mean to be 'advertising' our products. I really did want to just let people know we have a FREE bicone chart that you can download. But then I discovered that I couldn't post the link directly to the chart and the hole being dug just got a lot deeper...

Many apologies, and I hope I can become a satisfactory Craft Forum member.

Much appreciate the thumbs up though!

Rob

Babushka
17-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Don't forget Swarovski crystal pearls! I use them a lot for my more affordable range and they look beautiful.

Cardtouche
18-06-2008, 12:52 PM
O.K. it looks like I'm going to agree with practically all the posts on this subject. I do like Swarovski the most out of the other crystal beads available but I also want to get across a favourite little gripe of mine... I was in Chicheater yesterday and saw a Swarovski shop I hadn't seen before so I had a quick peek inside.
The prices are astronomical!!!
Prices range from 35.00 upwards for one pendant bead strung onto a thin leather thong! People must be paying these inflated prices just for the Swarovski box. Either that or they have money to burn... just go to any auction site and you'll get far better items - still made from Swarovski crystal- just with no Swarovski box and at a fraction of the price. Sorry to harp on but it does bug me. Mind you, this might just be my pet hate - does anyone else think this or am I the only one?

charlotte
18-06-2008, 02:03 PM
It is a matter of personal taste. Personally I use semi precious stone and simulated diamond ( cubic zirconia). They are far better than swarovski in terms of sparkle and durability and for sure they come more expensive but in my opinion it is better to give people the sense of quality for money!

Unfortunately people these days look for bargain every where. They think fashion or costume jewellery has to be very cheap and it is due to all the nasty stuff that they sell on the chain shops on the high street. Of course the stuff on those shops is cheap because of their very poor quality.

Chris W
18-06-2008, 06:07 PM
They are very sparkly and expensive.
Fire polish glass beads can be a cheaper option but they don't catch the light as much. Although they are expensive to buy you will make good profit on items made with them. The heart and star beads made great earrings and pendants, very saleable. You can also make hanging angels out of the octogons (wings) a round bead (head) and a droplet shape for the body. These sell very well in my shop.

auntynet
22-06-2008, 11:37 PM
O.K. it looks like I'm going to agree with practically all the posts on this subject. I do like Swarovski the most out of the other crystal beads available but I also want to get across a favourite little gripe of mine... I was in Chicheater yesterday and saw a Swarovski shop I hadn't seen before so I had a quick peek inside.
The prices are astronomical!!!
Prices range from 35.00 upwards for one pendant bead strung onto a thin leather thong! People must be paying these inflated prices just for the Swarovski box. Either that or they have money to burn... just go to any auction site and you'll get far better items - still made from Swarovski crystal- just with no Swarovski box and at a fraction of the price. Sorry to harp on but it does bug me. Mind you, this might just be my pet hate - does anyone else think this or am I the only one?

I don't complain about the shop prices. I sell my jewellery on Bury Market, Manchester and there is a Swarovski shop in the shopping centre just around the corner from us. I often have a laminate on my Swarovksi shelf saying "Check out the shop prices in the Millgate, then come back and see ours!"

It works! :D . . . . especially with the "M & S brigade" who are amazed that they can get quality stuff on a market at such cheap prices.

RenataHarris
17-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Ive only used swarovski so far but there are much cheaper crystals on the 'totallybeads' website, havent seen them face to face thoug.
I get bored of something if it's the only material i use, so it varies! I do like semi precious stones because they are natural, and most of them look quality. I dont know what is popular though...

Pebbles
17-07-2008, 11:17 AM
I have both swarovski and "crystals" I must say that for sparkle, it has to be swarovski, the glass "crystals" have no where near the beautiful sparkle that the swarkies do.

I can't remember where I was the other day, but something being sold as swarovski certainly was not! It was dull with rough edges! I wanted to point that out to the retailer but I felt a bit rude, so I just walked out of the shop!

Pink Giraffe
17-07-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm new to working with beads and wire. I have been practising on glass beads, but I think I will invest in some Swarovski beads when I get a bit better at it.
I am making my own headdress/tiara for my wedding and I am totally dazzled by the extra sparkle that Swarovskis seem to have.

I also agree that from a consumer point of view, particulary people buying online, the name does go a long way. On a webpage people can't touch and feel a product and so seeing the brand name helps give the product a sense of quality.

Even though it might have been made by a monkey, the majority of people buy into brand names - Swarovski being one of them.

PS - I am not suggesting anyone on here is actually a monkey. Sorry

auntynet
18-07-2008, 12:33 AM
I can't remember where I was the other day, but something being sold as swarovski certainly was not! It was dull with rough edges! I wanted to point that out to the retailer but I felt a bit rude, so I just walked out of the shop!

One of my pet hates is when you look at costume jewellery on markets - I mean the "bling" stuff that everybody sells that's either straight out of the wholesalers or imported from China - and you see a huge piece, say a ring for instance, and its priced at 2.99 and labelled Genuine Swarovski Crystals!!!!!