• Show
Clear All
  • Ian Beckerton
    100+ crafts club
    • Mar 2008

FAQ - What Camera is best?

FAQ’s

What Camera do I need?

This is a question that is asked frequently and the answer is I don’t know!

I don’t know because it depends on what you want to do with it. If you are going to take photographs of jewellery or other small objects then I would certainly say go for a SLR (Single Lens Reflex) style camera, as they are easier to use. If you have a specific requirement then almost certainly a full-blown SLR would be a preference as you can change the lenses to suit what you want to photograph and looking through the lens is preferred, rather than the viewfinder rear display approach as is found in most compact cameras as this simplifies framing the image.

If you want to specifically take ultra close up images then again an SLR camera would better serve you. With the correct choice of lens you can get in very close to the object visually but without having the camera blocking the lighting. I sometimes use a 200mm lens with a couple of extension tubes to bring down the focusing range. This enables me to take a subject as small as a pea and have it fill the image frame and still be quite a distance away from it so that the camera and lens don’t infract on the lighting.

There would be two things (there may be more depending on your particular requirement) that are a must have. The first is easy access to the manual settings so that you can operate the camera in its manual mode; if you want to take good images then this is the way forward. The second is a close focus arrangement where you can tell the camera to focus on things that are normally to close for the cameras focus system to handle.

Most other things on cameras are usually quite well thought out but you would be advised to insist in having a tripod mount, so that you can hold the camera still and a ‘hot shoe’. Hot Shoes are the adaptors that are usually mounted on top of the camera to adapt a flash head or gun to the camera so that the camera will at least trigger the flash or even control it, but more of this latter.

I..
    www.flickr.com/photos/25128713@N05/?saved=1
  • jamesjj
    Junior crafter
    • Jun 2008

What you think about a 8 mega pixel olympus?
    brooches and brooch store

Comment

• crafty sara
      500+ Crafters Club
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by jamesjj View Post
      What you think about a 8 mega pixel olympus?

Ive got a 8 mega pixel olympus camera and I love I find it easy to use and the software to transfer the files is easy peesy. If I can do it can can.

The picture are clear and crisp too anf very easy to use.

Sara x
      www.cardsforewe.co.uk

Comment

• Ian Beckerton
        100+ crafts club
        • Mar 2008

Olympus 8 Mp

Hi Jamesjj,

You shouldn't have a problem, what is the model number?

Regards,
        I..

Comment

• Chris W
          500+ Crafters Club
          • Mar 2008

I've got one too.

Seems like a popular camera.
          Chris W.
          x
          Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

• jamesjj
            Junior crafter
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Ian Beckerton View Post
            Hi Jamesjj,

You shouldn't have a problem, what is the model number?

Regards,
            I..
            it has some problems in past with its shutter but it is working fine now. It is 320.
            brooches and brooch store

Comment

• Ian Beckerton
              100+ crafts club
              • Mar 2008

Olympus SP320

Hi Jamesjj,

I have had a read through the specification and a couple of reviews and the overall impressions are good. The image sensor will give you good colour collaboration and sharp images. The camera has a good write up for the manual (which is what you should be using) control.

The comments I read have mentioned a slight edge softness in the focus at the extreme ends of the working range of the lens. Reading the specification suggests to me that three might be a problem with depth of focus when working close up as the aperture range is only f2.8 – f4.9!

Over all I think that the camera is a good buy, all the literature I have come across has been positive. In their film days Olympus made good cameras and I have heard nothing to the contrary to this with their digital cameras – the camera is OK and is good value for the money.

Kindest Regards,
              I..

Comment

Working...
              X