PDA

View Full Version : The Best Way to Sell Handmade Cards

e-s-cards
29-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi
I have been making and selling Handmade Greetings Cards for about 10 weeks now, and I make about 5 a week, but that is from selling them to my friends and family. My friend has joined my business, making Confectionery such as Truffles and Cookies, and that is going very well!

I have put a selection of cards in a small shop in a quiet village where i used to live, but so far have not sold any. However, as Father's Day is coming up, i could sell a few soon!

I may put them in another shop in another village as well. The shop sells lots of pretty ornaments and handmade things, so it seems an ideal shop to sell handmade cards.

Basically, i would like some advice on the best way to sell my cards, and how to advertise my company. I have thought of making a website, but some hosters were very expensive, and it seemed like a lot of hard work to keep it running.

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me - many thanks,

Ethan (E-S-Cards)

Ifor-Jones
29-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi Ethan and welcome to the forum. If you have a look over some recent threads you will see there is a lot of advice regarding selling and advertising. Well worth reading through some of them.

stallfinder
30-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi Ethan,
I've found the best way to sell them is to keep the price reasonable as a lot of places sell "handmade" cards and it's hard to be competetive. It means I make less per card but I sell more. I cello mine with my contact details on a sticker on the back of the cello and each card. A local farm shop stocks mine and I go in regularly and make sure they're all showing prominently on the rack. My cards are contemporary rather than with lots of frills etc. and so I sell quite a few to mums at toddler groups and small local events.
Gail.

hporter@intraspin.com
03-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi Ethan,
I sell quite a lot of my cards through craft fairs in my local area. They raise money for charity so a percentage of what I sell goes to charity but I still earn a reasonable amount. Are there any groups like that in your area? Are there any Craft Associations locally that you can join? I also sell through my web site. That goes in fits and starts as I have only been doing that for a few months.
Good luck.
Helen
Handmade Cards Direct

handmade cards wanted
16-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi all

Since you are all talking about selling handmade cards, I wondered if any of you would be interested in making our bespoke company thank you cards and others.

We are a high end Property Search and Relocation agency and we would like to commission some handmade thank you cards which reflect our brand. We need these ASAP and if it works well, will also commission other cards in significant numbers (but we will allow enough time for them to be made!)

We are really looking for someone creative who can look at the cards we have produced to date and come up with new designs which reflect our brand values. Please contact me if you are interested and I will send you a copy of our Christmas card and rebrand card. We like simple but clever designs and would like to involve decoupage (where things are stuck on?). But it needs to be relevant. So we don't want swirls, because swirls are irrelevant to a new house. For example, our Christmas card had snowflakes on it. We want to go down that route. We have a skyline which incorporates our logo which we would like to be on the card.

Design is critical to us. We need bespoke cards made just for us.

If anyone is interested pls contact me and I will email you copies of the cards (not handmade) which we have produced in the past.

Thanks

evka
23-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi I am interested in making some cards for you if you are still interested.
i am able to provide choices for you and then you could decide if and what you want.
could you tell me the quantity and colour you prefer?
thanks
Evka

Hi all

Since you are all talking about selling handmade cards, I wondered if any of you would be interested in making our bespoke company thank you cards and others.

We are a high end Property Search and Relocation agency and we would like to commission some handmade thank you cards which reflect our brand. We need these ASAP and if it works well, will also commission other cards in significant numbers (but we will allow enough time for them to be made!)

We are really looking for someone creative who can look at the cards we have produced to date and come up with new designs which reflect our brand values. Please contact me if you are interested and I will send you a copy of our Christmas card and rebrand card. We like simple but clever designs and would like to involve decoupage (where things are stuck on?). But it needs to be relevant. So we don't want swirls, because swirls are irrelevant to a new house. For example, our Christmas card had snowflakes on it. We want to go down that route. We have a skyline which incorporates our logo which we would like to be on the card.

If anyone is interested pls contact me and I will email you copies of the cards (not handmade) which we have produced in the past.

Thanks

sunrise
24-09-2009, 04:56 PM
don't know if anyone heard back from the person requesting bespoke cards ?? I know I didn't

enigma_designs
29-09-2009, 12:06 PM
I use moonfruit.com
pay 2.99 per month for my website one off fee for my domain name

BobBeacham
29-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi Ethan

If you want to make a proper business out of your hand made cards it's going to be quite a struggle without some kind of internet presence. If you're not online but all your competitors are, how does that make you look? More importantly, how will your customers find you?

Hand made cards are light and easy to mail, so with a site of some kind - whether that's a traditional website or a blog - you have a potential world-wide market.

It's not easy but it's not rocket science either. I would suggest that anyone with the creativity to be a craftsperson has more than enough ability to build a site. You'll have to invest a few pounds - but less than a tenner whoever you choose - and any serious business requires some investment at some stage.

Local spe******tt stores where your work will be appreciated (and customers will expect to pay a reasonable amount), craft fairs and other events can certainly bring you more income and word will spread, but if you've ambitions of going full-time then the internet is a must.

Good luck!

Craftie Times
30-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I make handmade cards and, after much persuasion from friends and family who love my cards, have recently started my own company "Craftie Times". With the help of my daughter , I now have my own website (jltenterprises), I'm on Facebook, Twitter (@CraftieTimes) and I have my own Blog on Blogger.

I sell my cards at a local Bead shop and hope to expand in the next few weeks. I plan on selling my cards on ebay soon as well!

Annebirch
11-07-2011, 02:57 PM
I am interested in making some cards for you if you are still looking .
Please e-mail me details.
Thanks
Anne

Hi all

Thanks

onlymemax
22-01-2012, 03:34 AM
Hi

Well first of all welcome to the world of crafting. I also make hand made cards, wedding stationery boxed sets etc, and have also been trying to work out where to sell to a wider audience. Well I hope this is of use to you I have made a website with a site called "Yola" It was free to build my site and you get your own domain name as well as lots of help and extras, please visit my website to see what you can achieve also. Be sure to let me know what you think. My web address is mod edit: 25 post rule violation

If you want email me I can help you my address is maxcreativecards@gmail.com

Good luck :)

onlymemax
22-01-2012, 03:40 AM
Hi

I am interested also if you are still looking email me with details please.

maxcreativecards@gmail.com

kate1980
06-03-2013, 03:09 PM
I am interested in helping. Could i have more information on what you need and how do i go about doing this thanks kate

nattynetty
06-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Thread is 5 years old so closing it.