• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pilipala
    Junior crafter
    • May 2005

photographing jewellrey

Has anyone got any hints or tips about the best way to photograph jewellrey. I have made a couple of delecate necklaces and bracelets but trying to photogrpah is proving a nightmare to show them in their best light.

What is the best background colour to use?

ANy hints/tips would be extremely appreciated.

see me also at http://www.childfriendly.net (child friendly places in the UK)
  • stinkysrevenge
    Junior crafter
    • Jun 2005

Scanner is easier!

The easiest way I've found is to use a scanner and scan it in. Scanners are realtively cheap as well... it was the cheaper option for me, rather than buy a zoom lens for the camera.

It might help to remember to following if you're scanning in jewellery:

-Use a clear barrier between the jewellery and the scanner glass otherwise you'll scratch the scanner glass. Some use cling film, I prefer a sheet of acetate (transparencies for overhead projectors) - they work a treat and stay in place relatively easily.
    -You will also want to use a block of some kind and place it between the scanner lid and glass so the scanner lid does not press down on your jewellery, anything is fine, just make sure it's not too big. I use one of the little round plastic tubs that my beads came in.
    -Also, get a dark towel and drape it over the whole scanner before scanning. It blocks out extra light.
    -Just for measure, I also have a clear plastic ruler that I put along side the jewellery I'm selling when I scan, then you don't have to worry about measuring it later, it's already in the picture!

Hope this helps!!

:lol:

Comment

• minvera
      Junior crafter
      • Mar 2005

this is the bane of my life! I use a digital camera on close-up mode (tends to be a flower icon). In my experience a black background is best as its easier to work with digitally on your image enhancing software. I always photograph outside on a clear day.
      I've been trying to bribe a photographer friend of mine to do it for me - for free! Hasn't taken me up - wonder why?! But his advice was to use black velvet and get some colour cards - whatever they are. It bores me too much to think about it all!!

Nicola
      www.nicolamcareejewellery.co.uk

Comment

• susantin
        Junior crafter
        • Sep 2005

Photographing jewelry

Honestly, it depends on what kind of jewelry you are photographing.

Most of my jewelry are silver, so I prefer to shoot on blue or another dark background. I would stay away from anything reflective as a background. I don't use a black velvet because it gets too dirty. I use a sturdy black cloth drop - which I'm sure you can find at a photography store.

Another option, which I am quite fond of, are fabric swatches. Instead of photographing on plain white, I photographed on white silk, which gives a little texture but nothing to distract from the piece.

Also, watch your reflection. It's best if you use indirect lighting and a reflector. You can buy pretty cheap light stands. I hang a white fabric inbetween the light and the jewelry, so that I don't get a glare. Then I use two pieces of white foam core to reflect the lighting.
        Sus
        Charming Gifts
        Silver Enamel Charm Jewelry and More

Comment

• Pilipala
          Junior crafter
          • May 2005

thanks for these suggestions, they are really helpful. will give different ones a try.

Thanks again

Best wishes

Emma
          see me also at http://www.childfriendly.net (child friendly places in the UK)

Comment

• Tranquility80
            Moderate crafter
            • Jun 2005

I bought a photography cube which seems to work quite well. I also alweays make sure I have my camera on macro mode.
            Stunning Handcrafted Jewellery
            www.lizdesigns.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X