PDA

View Full Version : Hooks

handcrafted
14-05-2008, 12:14 PM
The fastenings that are used to actually hook on the earrings to your ears (sorry my termanology *and spelling!* is rubbish)...well the ones i have are really rubbish. They bend really easily. What are the merrits of spending more on good ones. Is it worth it?

Seahorse
14-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Hiya

I use sterling silver proper shaped hook earrings and Ive not had a problem with them.
I can only imagine it would be worth shopping around and buying a pair hear and there to compare the quality/bendiness.

BeadsbyLili
14-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Plated 'fishook' earwires are usually ok - I'm not sure which you are using at the moment but it sounds like it might be 'kidney' wires which are a bit more flimsy. As Seahorse says sterling hook earrings are usually quite tough but of course they will cost a bit more too.

handcrafted
14-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Well they certainly look kidney shaped. They are hooks but fasten to another hook at the back of the ear.
Il have a look around. Any good websites?

BeadsbyLili
14-05-2008, 01:55 PM
If you look at the findings on my website (link below my sig) there are the three types: fishook, kidney & sterling ear wires - might help identify what you are looking for?

Seahorse
14-05-2008, 08:02 PM
If kidneys are the earring findings Im thinking of then they are a pain in the botty.
They do bend easily and Im sure they are completley impossible to actually attatch to the ear.
I have made some sets with these and have changed the wires from kidney to hook, just incase people complain......if they ever buy anything from me....which they dont seem to want to do...I try my hardest.....sob sob...

Back top the plot-Id avoid kidney wires if I were you.

Beadservice
17-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I stock ear hooks/ear wires in Silver Plated, Gold plated and Sterling Silver.

All are great quality, as I've learnt over the years who the reputable manufacturers are to buy from.

What I look for is good quality for a fair price.

Hope you find time to have a look :)

Debbie

Bea
26-05-2008, 10:07 PM
I'd stay clear of ebay as I've had many customers complaining of poor findings bought cheaply on ebay (you get what you pay for I guess), then seeing the difference when they receive their stuff from me.

Maybe like someone said you'll have to shop around to find a supplier you are happy with.