PDA

View Full Version : Selling jewellery

Freespirit
04-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi guys,
I'm new to this site. I've been making my own jewellery and handbags for years and I have decided that I am at the stage where I could sell some of my creations. Does anyone ahve any suggestions about the best place to start and how to go about it? Apart from online selling, does anyone have any other suggestions of how to sell? e.g. a stall?
Any help you can give would be much appreciated, I look forward to speaking to you.

Bea
13-05-2005, 09:47 AM
I have done a few craft fairs and I have another 2 booked in June but I never sell enough to make a decent profit.... I usually cover the cost of the stall and my expenses (fuel, etc). However not all fairs are like this....

I want to try a market stall on a Saturday but they are very big stalls, a lot bigger than what you get at a craft fair, so I need more stock and someone to help out.

Craft fair can be a good way of starting out though, getting used to face the public, dealing with money, arranging the layout of the stall, etc.

Good luck!

Bea

destinyUK
22-05-2005, 10:35 PM
hi, have you tried ebay for selling? its cheap and you get massive coverage, if you have anything unusual it is almost guaranteed to sell, its worth a try!
good luck
Alison :)

stinkysrevenge
06-06-2005, 12:05 PM
I've been trying to sell on ebay, but I think the market for jewellery on ebay is way too saturated, there's too much stuff on it so it makes it harder to sell.

I want to do craft fairs for my stuff, but don't think I have enough for my own stall.

Is anyone else having this problem and has anyone thought of maybe a couple of us going in together for a craft fair?

destinyUK
06-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi
Thats fair comment and i do agree if you are selling the same as everyone else, however, if you create something unusual to sell and are creative in the way you sell it, I think you could well be surprised at the response you get.
I started off 'trying' to sell chakra earrings, now i am an importer of gemstones, I sell wholesale and retail and have more types of gemstones than I ever knew exisited. It a full time job and I love it! None of it was planned, it just happened!
If you do decide to give it another go, I wish you all the success that I have had, Ebay gets bigger and better everyday, yes there are more sellers, but also there are even more buyers!
Hope you have a great day, and good luck to you
Alison :)

manwanis
20-12-2006, 09:08 AM
I've been trying to sell on ebay, but I think the market for jewellery on ebay is way too saturated, there's too much stuff on it so it makes it harder to sell.

I will continue to search eBay... for buyer safety.

euston-74
20-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Have you thought about home parties? - a friend of mine does that with her jewellery and it goes well.
We have a range of products we sell at home parties, but anyone is welcome to add their own stuff to the range as well. Check out the link if interested.
Mel

Photo Jewelry
14-01-2007, 03:25 AM
Have you tried beauty shops? I have heard from people on my list that they have a lot of success with selling there.

Running_wild
17-01-2007, 08:54 PM
I have been selling my glass and silver jewellery for a few years now in the following ways:
ebay auctions
ebay shop = fixed price
craft fairs
school fairs
monthly farmers/craft markets
jewellery parties
and now my own new website.

Basically you need to try everything. Craft fairs are good experience, but hit and miss ( one year you make a big profit, same fair the next year you sell nothing)
Don't worry about having a small amount of stock - display it artistically, in an eye-catching way, eg using jewellery boxes, rocks, shells, what ever suits the style of your jewellery. Have some simple cards printed with your contact details to get your name 'out there'.

I love the monthly markets, xmas was great, so is the tourist season. This month has been dismal, and very cold!
Jewellery parties are very good - maybe do some leaflets on your pc to distribute through letter boxes. For a couple of hours work you make as much as a whole day on the market stall.

I sell beads and findings on ebay and find these sell much better than jewellery. People expect to pay very low prices for jewellery on ebay, and we are competing with cheap imports. At a craft fair customers appreciate the skill that went into making the piece of jewellery.

My advice would be to go to a craft fair, even with little stock. You will meet other sellers and probably find someone who will want to share a stall with you at future fairs as this is quite common practice.
You will also make contacts and get more advice.