PDA

View Full Version : do these sell

sherrielinda
26-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi all, can anyone offer any advice please. I'm still busy making cards for my 1st fair in June and have made lots of " normal type cards " but I wonder if things like Bookatrix and Tilly Cake type cards sell, something different as I would call them. Can anyone help, cheers Linda.

SusieQ
26-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Hi! I have only done one fair and I think that the cheaper cards sell. People don't seem interested in the time you have spent on making lovely cards, they seem to want something for nothing!!!!!I suppose it depends on what type of people you get at the fair as well. One lady didn't think mine were expensive at 3.99 and she bought three but other people, one lady in particular told me they were expensive. I feel that if I was at a fair and saw something I really liked I would pay but other people aren't like that. I was amazed at the reaction of some.It's true - it takes all sorts -. I tend to think that overall people expect to pay less because the cards are hand made!!!! It baffles me!!! I spend ages on some of mine!!!! Sue xx:D

Ger
26-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I've never done any tilly cards but I do sell a lot of Bookatrix in boxes, I sell mine for 6 and have never had any complaints. I would make a few and test the market as I've found it depends on the area, I've got to agree with Susie be prepaired for folk wanting your work for nothing!!

Carol29
26-04-2008, 11:10 PM
I would agree with Susie Q, I used to sell cards at craft fairs and was lucky to make my stall fee in sales. People don't appreciate the time and effort gone into making cards. Why pay 2.oo at a craft fair when they can get a card in M&S for 1.50. It's sole destroying!!

But good luck with it.

Carol
www.carolshawjewellery.com (http://www.carolshawjewellery.com)

sherrielinda
27-04-2008, 12:25 PM
oh dear, thanks for replies, I'll do a couple of the more time consuming ones then stick to the normal ones, will let everyone know how it goes when the time actually comes. cheers Linda

Fluffy Squirrel
27-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Hi all, can anyone offer any advice please. I'm still busy making cards for my 1st fair in June and have made lots of " normal type cards " but I wonder if things like Bookatrix and Tilly Cake type cards sell, something different as I would call them. Can anyone help, cheers Linda.

Hi, I have to agree with what everyone else has said... there seems a lot of people out there who attend craft fairs looking to get "something for nothing" although there are also the people who appreciate the time and effort we put inot our craft and are willing to pay that little bit more. I make "normal" cards and bookatrix at the moment and tend to find that personalised orders are more what I sell the bookatrix on whereas craft fairs I tend to sell more normal cards, though I've sold a few bookatrix. It definitely depends on the area.

I just wonder though, can you tell me what "tilly cake" cards are?

sherrielinda
27-04-2008, 07:36 PM
looked at your cards, they are gorgeous. A tilly cake card is, similar to a 3 tier wedding cake, you have the basic 3 boxes then you decorate however & as much as you want. You might see the template on create & craft, Linda

Fluffy Squirrel
30-04-2008, 02:39 PM
looked at your cards, they are gorgeous. A tilly cake card is, similar to a 3 tier wedding cake, you have the basic 3 boxes then you decorate however & as much as you want. You might see the template on create & craft, Linda

I know what you mean now, thanks :D

Our local craft shop does templates for various 3D type cards such as greenhouse, baby's crib, four poster bed, etc... they all look stunning!

EMEvans
02-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I would definitely make a few of each cause you'll never know unless you try ;)

Sprinkles
02-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Falling off topic a little here, but I agree with SusieQ.

It makes me wonder sometimes why some people bother coming to craft fairs, if all they are going to do is criticize prices infront of us.

You always know the people that are 'craft fair goer's'. The interesting chats, and their understanding of what the difference between handmade and made in china is!

Good Luck with your card selling :D