• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gilly
    Moderate crafter
    • May 2006

Where does your inspiration com from?

Hi,

I've been making jewellery, mostly bead stringing and a few beadwork pieces for about 2 years.

I really like making sets, necklace/bracelet/errings and the like however up til now I've just picked up beads and findings and put them together until they felt right, but I have absolutely no ispiration just now and am at a loss how to get some.

I am trying not to look at others websites because I would hate to think I had copied something but I find that the stuff I make, sometimes does seem similar.

Any inspiration tips or is it normalto get a blank time?

Gilly
  • Peter
    Super mega big crafter
    • Jan 2006

It's ok to get inspiration from other artists. When I had a 'painting block' all it took was a trip to the art gallery. I have the problem of looking at other beaders sites and getting really depressed because their work is so amazing!
    An example.................. http://www.serafinibeadedjewelry.com/neckpiece.html

Comment

• Rachie
      Moderate crafter
      • Mar 2008

It's hard at times when you have a block. I look at things around me... mostly from nature and see shapes, colours etc which give me inspiration to then look for beads to put together to make jewellery.

Having a look at others ideas can be good too.
      Rachie

Comment

• Otji
        Junior crafter
        • Nov 2004

I look at art websites, fashion mags and generally at nature and try and get ideas for themes and colours which sometimes trigger me off.
        Please visit my website and see my handcrafted items

http://BeadyJan.fotopic.net/

Handmade items currently for sale in my ArtyMiss shop
        http://artymiss.co.uk/barter/other_i...wner_id=100469

Comment

• janetdc
          Super crafter
          • Jan 2008

It depends a lot on my mood but i get inspiration from fashion shoots, magazines and from seeing what others are doing right now. I never want to replicate somebody elses work but it can spark off an idea that I can translate into something of my own. There are times when I push beads and findings around for hours without getting anywhere and then I eventually get working again.
          www.littlebead.blogspot.com
          www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

• Chris W
            500+ Crafters Club
            • Mar 2008

Beads

My inspiration comes from the beads, I sort of look at them and imagine how best I can show them off. Also if I don't sell anything I don't get to eat and I love food.
            Chris W.
            x
            Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

• gilly
              Moderate crafter
              • May 2006

Thanks to everyone who replied, OMG there is no change of me copying any of this stuff it is FAB however it did give me the encouragment to carry on

I went to a bead shop this afternoon and got some lovely beads, so I think I will just make some stuff and hope I can sell it so that I can buy soime books on beading. I would really like to learn some of this as the only thing I can do at the moment is the spiral staircase stitch. I would love to know how you learned to make this lovely stuff Peter, it is really gorgeous.

Now I'm going to look at look at other sites and not feel guilty of plageurism!

Thanks again

Gilly

Comment

• gilly
                Moderate crafter
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Chris W View Post
                My inspiration comes from the beads, I sort of look at them and imagine how best I can show them off. Also if I don't sell anything I don't get to eat and I love food.
                Hi Chris, I just looked at your website and you also have some lovely stuff. I can see I am going to have to take some time over this re-inspiring lark!

Do you only sell thru your website or do you have an outlet? I hope you dont mind me asking.

Gilly

Comment

• Peter
                  Super mega big crafter
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by gilly View Post
                  I would love to know how you learned to make this lovely stuff Peter, it is really gorgeous.
                  Gilly
                  Lots of books that I didn't need, lots of beads that I didn't want, lots of broken needles, and hands like pin cushions! One bit of advice I would give out though, is the old adage of 'always buy the best you can afford'...........I have boxes full of crap that I bought when I first started - now I only use Miyuki delicas and seeds, and Toho seeds. It's not worth trying to learn on the cheap, if you have good materials and something goes wrong you know it's your fault!
                  peter

Comment

• gilly
                    Moderate crafter
                    • May 2006

The shop I use only sells Gutterman seed beads, anywhere wlse I buy from is online and you cant really see the colours there. How do you rate the Gutterman beads?

Comment

• pixiedoodles
                      500+ Crafters Club
                      • Mar 2008

Hi, i use beads shops, others websites, books, fashion and wedding magazines.
                      Sometimes I get a loads of coordinating beads togethera nd see what I come up with
                      With love
                      Em
                      xx

www.pixiedoodles.co.uk
                      www.facebook.com/pixiedoodles1
                      http://twitter.com/ pixiedoodles

Comment

• Peter
                        Super mega big crafter
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by gilly View Post
                        The shop I use only sells Gutterman seed beads, anywhere wlse I buy from is online and you cant really see the colours there. How do you rate the Gutterman beads?
                        Not bad. The 'kiev' necklace, the 'gothic cross', and the lariat are all guttermans - it's all down to how many you throw away................they're expensive though! I hate to plug, but have a look at http://www.jencel.co.uk/beads/seed11ol.php for Tohos. I have to declare an interest - my kits are there, and I do my workshops there!

Comment

• gilly
                          Moderate crafter
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Beadsage View Post
                          Not bad. The 'kiev' necklace, the 'gothic cross', and the lariat are all guttermans - it's all down to how many you throw away................they're expensive though! I hate to plug, but have a look at ( had to delete this bit) for Tohos. I have to declare an interest - my kits are there, and I do my workshops there!
                          Thanks,

I cannot believe how much people pay for handmade jewellery, I looked at selling on ebay and nothing was selling for more than £1 so I gave that up as a bad idea.

I think that beadwork is the way forward for me, I'm looking more into it, I just think that stringing beads onto a bit of tigertail is getting a bit tiresome & I would really like to keep my interest. Unfortunately your classes are a few hundred miles too far away!

Thanks again for your help

Gilly

Comment

Working...
                          X