PDA

View Full Version : New Member and New Beader!!

shabbychic
14-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Hi All,

I am new to all jewellery making, but wanted to start doing it, but I have not got a clue where to start??? I want to start making fashion necklaces (the type you buy in topshop etc) for my friends and family. I need not only a little inspiration but the best shops/websites to buy from for beginners.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. xxx

incywincy
14-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Hello & (welcome)

craftyjan
14-04-2008, 08:56 AM
hello and welcome i also have just started beading made my first necklace and earings very simple just bead threading on beading cord that i got from a site from one of the forum members the people on here are very helpful and there sites are really good i think it could be very addictive as with the forum you find lots of useful tips on here and where to get anything you need for lots of crafts im going to purchase a book on the basics but there are a few beading magazines that give you step by step instructions and what you need check out whsmiths they seem to have a good selection and good luck with your jewellry making im sure you will enjoy it(welcome)

shabbychic
14-04-2008, 09:02 AM
thank you girls, i will have a look at the books, might ebay it and see what comes up, i have resisted the magazine's so far, as could spend a fortune, but I might pop down to my local market, they have a magazine stall, might have some old crafting ones.

x

Rodeo Lady
14-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Sorry Rebecca dont know anything about beads but (welcome) from me anyway.

What your local bead shop ? They helped my friend buy her first purchases and they ran classes too. At least that way you wont spend more than you have too.

Good luck with it anyway.

Cheers Janice

Ifor-Jones
14-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Hi welcome to the forum - (welcome) - I am a cardmaker, but you will find lots of info for all crafts here and always someone who can help. Enjoy.

bynicki
14-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Hi and (welcome) to the forum. I havent got any clue about beads but just wanted to say hi !.

Beadservice
14-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi and a big warm welcome from me too (welcome)

Debbie

shabbychic
14-04-2008, 10:06 AM
thank you for all giving me such a warm welcome :)

x

Chris W
14-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi,
Good luck with your jewellery making. I learned how to make it by looking at all the components you can buy on Ebay.

pixiedoodles
14-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi,
what area are you in?

Buying on line is good, but you can't beat looking and touching! :mf: Prepare to be addicted and very poor!!!!:D

Going to a bead fair is a great way to look at things and match them up. I have a few in the midlands/wales area if any good, just let me know.

(welcome) by the way!

shabbychic
14-04-2008, 05:52 PM
i think i am addicted already before i have even started making anything!! I haven't told husband to be I am about to spend our life savings on beads!!!

I have found so many great shops, and don't know which ones to buy from??? I want to make necklaces like this ( i can't post the link but it is on ASOS.com and is called Azuni Sterling Silver Filigree Heart With Semi Precious Stones Necklace (it costs 89....OMG!!!), I want to make similar necklaces but where do i start?

I currently make and sell wedding stationery/cards and also sell shabby chic furniture via my website. x

sweet
14-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi shabbychic...welcome to the forum. hope you have fun on here!

s.x

shabbychic
14-04-2008, 07:13 PM
the addiction has officially begun, i have just spent 22 on Unique Beads website!!

Poppy4lee
14-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Hi & (welcome) to the forum from me too.

BeadsbyLili
14-04-2008, 07:31 PM
(welcome), enjoy the new addiction....

just look what happens when you overdose (you turn into a bead seller :mf:)

woodtattoos
14-04-2008, 07:32 PM
(welcome) (welcome) (welcome)

Si.

Minky Magic
14-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi there and welcome!

I am new too! I only just started beading a few months ago and I cannot stop! I make my jewellery using 'shabby' vintage, retro and various other recycled beads so i'm afraid I can't help you with your quest at the moment. However, i'm sure we will meet again! Ps Loved your website!

All the best for now
Marie

craftcrazy
14-04-2008, 10:49 PM
hello and (welcome) to the forum, im not a beader but im might start doing some soon, this site is very addictive so be warned:D

amy
xx

http://craftcrazy-craftcrazy.blogspot.com/

Pebbles
15-04-2008, 10:27 AM
I am self taught but have loads of books and magazines to refer to after nearly 10 years of beading.

The necklace you want to make is very easy, it just depends on finding the components.

You need headpins (sometimes called nails), there is one swarovski crystal on there in an apricot colour, then you need to source the big beads and the silver heart. Try ebay. You will also need a chain of some sort and some jump rings or solid rings (like jump rings with no join)

Tools required would be wire cutters, chain nose pliers and round nose pliers

If you are just starting off, it is probably not advisable to use sterling silver either as it is quite expensive and making loops etc needs a bit of practice.

Right Step 1: Take your headpin and thread the combination of beads you want onto it, leaving enough pin left for the loop.
Step 2: take round nose pliers and wrap head pin around them, leaving a small gap between top of beads and start of your loop.
Step 3: If using closed jump ring, you need to put your head pin loop in this now - if using normal jump ring, don't worry
Step 4: wrap the end of the headpin around the stalk of the headpin, near the beads

This is called a wrapped loop, probably google it and you should be able to find better instructions, I am a bit rubbish at explaining stuff.

Repeat with your other beads, attach your heart and thread onto your chain.....

I tend to use the current trends as inspiration and make my own designs.

ethel&edna
15-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Hellooooooooooooo and welcome on board.

(welcome)

I don't make jewellery myself but we do have the most fantastic bead shop in Lichfield - Spellbound (http://www.spellboundbead.co.uk/). They attend most of the big craft shows so you may have seen them. They also have a website so click on the link for a little lookie.

shabbychic
15-04-2008, 10:55 AM
I am self taught but have loads of books and magazines to refer to after nearly 10 years of beading.

The necklace you want to make is very easy, it just depends on finding the components.

You need headpins (sometimes called nails), there is one swarovski crystal on there in an apricot colour, then you need to source the big beads and the silver heart. Try ebay. You will also need a chain of some sort and some jump rings or solid rings (like jump rings with no join)

Tools required would be wire cutters, chain nose pliers and round nose pliers

If you are just starting off, it is probably not advisable to use sterling silver either as it is quite expensive and making loops etc needs a bit of practice.

Right Step 1: Take your headpin and thread the combination of beads you want onto it, leaving enough pin left for the loop.
Step 2: take round nose pliers and wrap head pin around them, leaving a small gap between top of beads and start of your loop.
Step 3: If using closed jump ring, you need to put your head pin loop in this now - if using normal jump ring, don't worry
Step 4: wrap the end of the headpin around the stalk of the headpin, near the beads

This is called a wrapped loop, probably google it and you should be able to find better instructions, I am a bit rubbish at explaining stuff.

Repeat with your other beads, attach your heart and thread onto your chain.....

I tend to use the current trends as inspiration and make my own designs.

thank you pebbles! you are a star!!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Candeez
22-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Hiya and welcome. I'm new too. Not new to beading but new here.

Fun and Funky Handmade Jewellery

ShinySilver
23-05-2008, 08:53 AM
And welcome from me too (welcome), another newbie, who makes jewellery although not always with beads.

I found the necklace you mentioned on ASOS and, ah, I've just seen someone else has given you some instructions!

By the way, love your website!

Michelle

helena
23-05-2008, 09:11 PM
hello and welcome!
:)

Bea
26-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Not sure which area you are in but I have a list of bead fairs on my site. There was one yesterday in Nantwich. Bead fairs are usually quite overwhelming for beginners.

The most popular book for beginners is called The Basics of Bead Stringing. Most bead sellers stock it (including myself).

kalinda
04-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi and welcome. I am new to beading as well and I have taught myself through websites, reading very helpful advice on this forum and from books I took out of my local library.
At the moment I am not beading much and I am totally frustrated about it, but things will be different once sept is here and both my kids go to school full time.
Good luck and (welcome)
Monica

AllmarshallGems
05-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Welcome, and all the best of luck in your new beading adventure. One way to start is to take some inspiration from the shops you suggest and the styles, and then start to look at components ie beads cords findings etc on ebay or on some of the forum members websites. This will hopefully give you the inspiration to go out design what you want.

*karen*
05-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi and (welcome)

Is there a local beginners jewellery class near you, if so this is a great way to learn the tricks of the trade and get some ideas and more confidence.

I started out that way and have been addicted ever since. I have a good relationship with the people who run the classes and now go to them for advice and if I am trying to come up with a new design but for the life of me can't get it to work!

Another thing you could do is a lot of bead suppliers sell kits with instructions so you can have a go at making a few simple necklaces this way and then when you have got the basics by a few bits and have a go yourself.

I had brought quite a few books and tried to teach myself at home but it didn't work for me (never has!) and I found it much easier to be shown first and then was well away once I had got the basic techniques.

Different thngs work for different people though.

Roseberry Crafts
05-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Hello and (welcome)from me too!

beckyboo
05-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Hola ........

When I first started ( many moons and sore fingers ago ) I bought a kit from a lovely lady on Ebay

she has loads of kits on buy it now but also a few on auction , so it is possible to pick up a bargain

she also stocks loads of extras such as beading boards and pliers

You can never have enough beads !!

MOD EDIT - THERE'S NO WAY AROUND IT EITHER. :)( sorry can't post a link yet)

auntynet
06-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Hi there and (welcome) to the forum. I'm new around here too but not to beading. I pretty much taught myself the basics (with a little help from the web, of course! ;)) but when you want to do something more advanced I'd definitely recommend getting yourself a couple of good books. Check out Barbara Case. I've been beading for a couple of years now but I bought one of her books recently after reading a review on Amazon and I liked it so much I bought 2 more.

She explains most things in pretty good detail - explaining what everything is called, what its for and how to use it. She includes projects for all competence levels from beginners to experts and they all have complete step by step instructions.

Definitely worth the money - expecially for beginners.

craftcrazy
08-06-2008, 04:34 PM
hello and (welcome)to the forum