PDA

View Full Version : Polymer clay beading

ladyluckjewellery
11-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi,

I've been using Fimo for a while now to make polymer beads, and have just bought some lovely deep fuschia Sculpey, which will contrast really well against my pearl white Fimo .... if I can mix them:confused:

Does anyone know if the two mix OK, I know they both have the same bake temperature but that's about it!

Thanks,

Claire

marra
11-04-2008, 04:46 PM
i belive you can !
i am very new to using fimo and still trail and error but ive read a lt and think i have seem similar post before , try asking tip top or pauline@weddingtreasures they will know ! :D

ladyluckjewellery
12-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks Marra,

I'm going to have a go in the next few days so will let you know how I get on :)

Claire

Pauline@weddingtreasures
13-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Hi Claire

Yes I've mixed different types of clay with no problems so you should be just fine!

Let us know how you get on.

Pauline :D

craftyjan
13-04-2008, 07:15 AM
sounds exciting i have a few different types of polymer clay have to have a go at beads sometime do you use a bead roller

ladyluckjewellery
13-04-2008, 02:55 PM
hi,

Thanks for the confirmation Pauline that I can mix the two, I'm siiting here trying to soften a HUGE lump of Fimo black at the moment, mouse in one hand, clay in the other :D

I haven't tried bead rollers as I thought they would be a bit restrictve for the kind of designs I do, but I might get one in the near future to make some more precisley shaped beads.

Claire

Pauline@weddingtreasures
13-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Hiya

Normally black coloured fimo is soft........unless of course you have gone for the classic.......which I hate to use as it takes so flipping long to condition!

If you can, try and remember to buy the 'soft' fimo - I've found that works just as well to be honest, unless of course you are going to be something quite big and very detailed!

Also hate using black, red, blue and green and it can get everywhere!

I must have the cleanest hands in Britain.......lol

Used a bead roller myself a few years ago and the beads I've done are in a box on the shelf.........keep telling myself that I will get them out one day and make something with them! If memory serves me right I have round beads as well as oval, roses, ladybirds, fruits, handbags, gloves, bows ..........lol, I should go look what I have really!

Pauline :D

Pauline

PolymerClayTutor
02-05-2008, 08:41 PM
've been using Fimo for a while now to make polymer beads, and have just bought some lovely deep fuschia Sculpey, which will contrast really well against my pearl white Fimo .... if I can mix them:confused:

Does anyone know if the two mix OK, I know they both have the same bake temperature but that's about it!

Yes you can mix them no problem! If it is Sculpey III which I don't like because it is a weak brittle clay, it will actually improve it quite a bit by mixing it with the stronger Fimo clay. You can go to my blog for tips on mixing polymer clay in the color theory section.