PDA

View Full Version : Etsy

vickygorry
21-03-2008, 03:07 PM
I sell on ebay (nice and busy) and I am a tuggler (no sales there!) but everyone here seems to be talking about Etsy. I had never heard of it before last night... does it really work? Should I join? I think ebay is great for small stuff, but people are looking for bargains so I'd like somewhere to sell to people looking for handmade (and prepared to pay for it). Is Etsy the place? Any advice/comments appreciated.

Poppy4lee
21-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I didn't have much luck with Etsy but I'm sure that there are a few people on here who've done far better than I did.

Sprinkles
21-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey,

I have been on Etsy since last Friday, although i signed up in January.

I have had 2 sales on there this week.

For me it has certainly been a step foward.

If you list items slowly, and not all at once, the people will see you on the recently listed page, click your piccy, then browse the rest of your items.

Good luck if you are going to take this step :)

aliwade
21-03-2008, 05:22 PM
I hadn't heard of Etsy either until I came on here for the first time :D

I registered straightaway and haven't actually listed anything for sale yet (running low on cards and haven't got round to making any more yet), but I have put an Alchemy request on myself and had loads (over 60 :mf:) of bids - and now having several custom items being made for me (which I will either keep or sell on). I have also put bids in myself to make cards, and now have a custom order from a lady in New York.

It seems like a really good community and people seem willing to pay more than on Ebay (where I only make about 10% profit on the cardmaking stuff I am selling, and wouldn't even try to sell cards on there).

Ali xx

Roseberry Crafts
21-03-2008, 06:17 PM
I set up shop on Etsy in Feb and have had my first sale already! I'd say it's worth a go! Also, have you had a look at http://www.youcraftylot.com/index.php ? It is a very new site (and sales may be a little slow until it really takes off but it only costs 10p to list an item for four months and there are no other fees! It is also a UK based site whereas Etsy is a US site.

vickygorry
21-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I'll give Etsy and youcraftylot a go, but I might build up my stock a bit first! Thanks for the info:)

cloudhopping
22-03-2008, 12:45 PM
I've been on Etsy for about a month now and have had 2 sales, I think its worth it as it costs very little to list items. You pay to list each item and that covers you for 4 months.

I think the key to sales on Etsy is to do lots of promoting away from Etsy to get people to look at your shop, something I'm still trying to master!

saraeden
22-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Im on etsy too !! i find if you list things regularly you get more sales , i also link to it from anywhere else i can !!I also tell lots of people about it when they comment on my things !!

I have found that you get people who actually appreciate handcrafted things buying from etsy .... all i can say is give it a go !!

Good luck with it all

Sara x

cloudhopping
22-03-2008, 08:42 PM
I love your Etsy shop Sara! How often do you relist items? Bit worried about my Etsy bill with all the relisting I do!

saraeden
22-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi cloudhopping and thank you !!

I dont list as much as i should on etsy .. i must try and list some more things on there !!
I find the fees so much less than ebay ;)

mymiyel
22-03-2008, 09:37 PM
I've been on Etsy since the end of January. I think it is way better than eBay in terms of fees and I love that listings are on for 4 months so once it's there you don't really have to worry about it for ages.

But I've not yet sold anything. In fact, I don't get many views neither. But from nearly everyone I've spoken to they all say that Etsy requires a lot of patience and it is worth it once you get going. Here's hoping...

I could spend hours and hours just looking at all the different stuff on Etsy, it's an amazing place and has become a verb for me! I spend a lot of time "etsying" these days. It's great. Hmmm, maybe that's why i'm not selling...too busy etsying instead.

saraeden
22-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I spend ages hearting other people , its one way to get them to look at your shop !!!

mymiyel
22-03-2008, 09:55 PM
I spend ages hearting other people , its one way to get them to look at your shop !!!

I just noticed you're a hearter of me! Thanks!!!

I actually quite heart yours too! You make some really nice stuff. I think I might just have to heart you officially. Even though it looks like you don't really need my help there...

vickygorry
22-03-2008, 10:29 PM
I took the plunge and am now on Etsy! No sales yet (LOL after 1.5 days!) but I am becoming addicted to checking how many hits my items get... Have been listing twice a day as recommended to keep me on the recent listings. Fingers crossed...

cloudhopping
23-03-2008, 06:41 PM
good luck, just had a look at everyone's shops and they look great!

Blooming Felt
23-03-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm on etsy too - I joined way back last year, but only had my first sale about 2 weeks ago and since then I've sold 21 items. If it keeps going at this rate I'll be a happy bunny :) Didn't think about hearting people as a way to get more traffic though !

My etsy shop is www.bloomingfelt.etsy.com (http://www.bloomingfelt.etsy.com)

I'm off to do some hearting !!

cloudhopping
23-03-2008, 09:19 PM
wow well done Sarah! Nice shop too!

vickygorry
23-03-2008, 11:38 PM
I've been on Etsy since the end of January. I think it is way better than eBay in terms of fees and I love that listings are on for 4 months so once it's there you don't really have to worry about it for ages.

But I've not yet sold anything. In fact, I don't get many views neither. But from nearly everyone I've spoken to they all say that Etsy requires a lot of patience and it is worth it once you get going. Here's hoping...

I could spend hours and hours just looking at all the different stuff on Etsy, it's an amazing place and has become a verb for me! I spend a lot of time "etsying" these days. It's great. Hmmm, maybe that's why i'm not selling...too busy etsying instead.
Your earrings are gorgeous! You have been hearted...

Peter
23-03-2008, 11:57 PM
When they invent a way of giving you money for being hearted I'll be happy! :D

Blooming Felt
24-03-2008, 03:14 PM
wow well done Sarah! Nice shop too!

Thank you !!

vickygorry
26-03-2008, 12:05 AM
I sold two things (gone to run around lounge whooping!). Thanks for all the positive Etsy comments. Mr is calling me the international internet entrepeneur (sold to a lady in Utah!).

mymiyel
26-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Your earrings are gorgeous! You have been hearted...

Thanks Vicky!!! And WELL DONE on the sales! That was quick! Your stuff is lovely. I'm sure it will be the first of many!

colourart
26-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Well done on your sales, nice to think that someone from around the world is buying from you. Heres to plenty more sales.

Otji
21-04-2008, 12:16 PM
I was looking for information about places to try and sell some of my hnadmade items and came across several posts about Etsy which I've raed with great interest. It looks a really classy site.

I'm just wondering how everyone's getting on with their Etsy shops?

I'm a bit confused with everything being in dollars - how do you work out your prices?

Also do those of you who have sold a fair few items find they are mostly to UK or US buyers?

Any advice most welcome

cloudhopping
21-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Well I've only sold 3 things so far on Etsy, 1 to the UK and the other 2 to USA.

Have been on there about 8 weeks now, have also just started a blog to try to help promote my Etsy shop.

As for prices, basically just halve the amount in dollars to give you the equivalent in . Pay-pal converts it all for you anyway so its no hassle.

Its really easy to set up a shop and list things on Etsy, I found it very user-friendly, there's also tons of advice through Etsy articles and lots of seasoned sellers in the forums there.

Good luck!

naomi126
05-05-2008, 09:46 PM
ill have to have a look at Etsy, thanks for the tip..

ClaireP
07-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Yes, do have a look at Etsy! I've been on there 5 weeks and sold 5 items.
I've sold to the US, france, Uk and today australia!

Good luck with it! :)

Donster
09-05-2008, 02:47 PM

I hadn't seen your shop before Claire but you have some cute things. :) Just hearted you!

ClaireP
09-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Aww! thanks. I love your stuff....so wish I could crochet :(
xx

louisejhampshire
12-05-2008, 05:38 PM
great info - thanks guys x

Silver Butterfly
12-05-2008, 07:22 PM

Ah, how cute! I've added you to my favourites (I think!)
I'm new to Etsy - I joined a few days ago and already love it. I hardly sell anything on Ebay - everyone wants something for nothing on there and the fees are stupid.

At least with Etsy, there's lots of others who appreciate the time and effort people put into their crafts.

Sarah x

yoguiana
12-05-2008, 09:47 PM
I tried Etsy some months ago but then I've heard of DaWanda and thought that it would be better as they are Europe based.
After reading all the good things and how so many of you are there I was thinking if it was a mistake to have left...
I am a bit frustrated with Dawanda right now and I am thinking if I should give Etsy a chance again.
What do you guys think?

ClaireP
12-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't know anything about Dawanda. What I do know is not to get too frustrated and to give your shop a little time. I was huffing and puffing that no one was buying anything on my shop, I relisted a few items and got a few sales, I was only aiming to sell 4 items this month!

Yoguiana, does Dawanda have forums and things you can post in to get people noticing you? I do like your little crochet things and I'm quite jealous as I'd love to be able to crochet! :)

Claire. xx

littleclouds
12-05-2008, 11:51 PM
ahh I feel left out being a Dawandian instead!

I did try to join Esty but they wouldn't let me buy or sell as I don't have a credit card, I even tried to get a credit card but my bank refused me :(

which was when I gave up & thought to concentrate on Dawanda but thinking about it Esty is alot bigger isn't it, like I doubt many Americans even know or go to Dawanda when they already have Esty & thats a huuuuge amount of potentials there gone...hmmm

Maybe I'll stroke someones arm nicely so they will let me use their credit card details hehe

yoguiana
14-05-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't know anything about Dawanda. What I do know is not to get too frustrated and to give your shop a little time. I was huffing and puffing that no one was buying anything on my shop, I relisted a few items and got a few sales, I was only aiming to sell 4 items this month!

Yoguiana, does Dawanda have forums and things you can post in to get people noticing you? I do like your little crochet things and I'm quite jealous as I'd love to be able to crochet! :)

Claire. xx

Thank you, Claire! Your Etsy shop is so cute! I really love it!
And if you would like to learn crochet is not that difficult. I managed to teach myself using the Internet! It's amazing the amount of resource you find it on the net.

About Dawanda, they do have forums and I really try to post as much as I can. But first of all, the forums are not that busy there :(

ClaireP
14-05-2008, 11:14 AM
I LOVE the internet. I'm learning to knit this year (very slowly) so might have to save crochet for next year! HEHE!

Claire.xx