PDA

View Full Version : Spoof ebay emails warning!

Roseberry Crafts
19-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi, Just thought I'd warn any ebayers to be on their guard as I have just had a spoof email telling me that my account had been suspended! I know never to click on any links within emails just in case and when I logged into ebay I found that there were no problems at all with my account. Have reported it to ebay but just thought I'd warn you all.

0103media
19-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Yep..

Ignore ALL emails from paypal and ebay and Any bank..

If your worried login via the web not your email!!!

SusieQ
19-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks Nat, To be warned is to be forarmed! Sue. x:mf:

Rodeo Lady
19-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks Nat. Can never be too careful.

Cheers Janice

Ifor-Jones
19-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I often get them, fortunately for me I know immediately they are not genuine because I don't have a e-bay account!!! Never never follow a link on an e-mail said to be from a bank etc etc always go via your normal link to the site to see if there are any messages there.

Hopej
19-03-2008, 07:52 PM
I have had a couple of these now, yesterday I got a very convincing one in my inbox (most spoof ones get picked up by my junk mail feature) from HSBC (my bank) about a security update I thought this was strange. So went on the HSBC site (not via my email!) and I had to laugh because there is a message when you log in saying, can we contact you by email? So they didnt have my email, I just went back to my email and forwarded it to them.

I dont know if its a coincidence or not but I never used to get anything like this, but since I have had my website I get about 3 or 4 emails like this a week, from 'banks' that I do not or never have had an account with. Is it related? Or is just because there is an increase in this sort of thing happening?

Sprinkles
19-03-2008, 09:48 PM
They trawl through hundreds of sites and pick out email address automatically. then they send you email of spam.

the only way to stop it is hide your email address in your site.

I think thats how they do it.

i like showing my email address, so people can write it down, pass it on etc, so for me its something that i am going to put up with when the spam begins.

hopefully it will go straight to my junk box so i wont even realise it has happened.

tell me if im wrong though!

Roseberry Crafts
19-03-2008, 11:36 PM
I have had two more items of junk since the ebay one today, both of them titled "Great Job offer" and containing absolute gobbledegook! Haven't had any problems with this sort of thing for ages but it suddenly seems to be happening again! Makes me feel very wary!

Hubby's Hotmail account and one of my Yahoo accounts get junk emails that aren't even addressed to the account! How do they do this? These ones always seem to be advertising online dating and "chat"! If only I could be bothered LOL!