PDA

View Full Version : Question for card makers/sellers

cardsbykatie
19-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Hello,

Do you sell your cards to shops? If so woudl you mind helping me witht he following please:

1) How did you go about it? Did you just go intot he shops nad ask to speak tot hemanager etc??

2) Do you have a logo type thing on the back of your cards and if so is this printed, stamped, sticker etc?? I'm thinking that cards you buy in shops normally ahve a brand name on them. If you do this, so you include websites/phone numbers etc??

Thanks,

Katie

SusieQ
19-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi! I just replied and lost it so hear I go again!! I make cards and have managed to find a couple of outlets to sell my cards. One is an arty type shop at a Craft Centre and the other is a Tea Shop that selly lovely gifts and food. The lady in the village card shop took a few Mothers Day cards off me but they didn't do very well. She said they were lovely but thought that they would sell better at a Craft place and she was right. She said in a card shop where the cards are wall to wall and prices vary so much there would be too much choice!!As for the name I put a 'hand made by' sticker on the back but my hubby didn't think it was a good idea to put phone numbers etc on the back. I would be interested to hear what anyone else thinks about that! I am trying my first Craft Fair in April because the shops take 50percent. The table has cost 40 but I am looking forward to giving it a go. I just want my costs for materials covered really. Good luck, take a deep breath and approch a shop!!! Let me know haow you get on. Sue.x:mf:

cardsbykatie
19-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks Sue,

We have quite a lot of arty type shops where I live so I am thinking of going round them with some samples, but I'm not sure if I need something on the back of them.

Anyone else do this??

Thanks!

SusieQ
19-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Me again. Like I said I had some little printed labels don and pu 'Hand made with love by Sue McClenahan. What I use as a sort of logo is : I stamp a 'X' above my label .It is meant to be a kiss and I sort of use that as my trademarl. Sue.x:playball:

Ifor-Jones
19-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi Katie - my cards have a sticker on the back which I print on my computer - small labels - which show my logo, trading name phone number and e-mail. That at least shows someone where they came from if they pick them up via an other outlet and you might get direct business.

SusieQ
19-03-2008, 05:06 PM
:mf:
Hi Katie - my cards have a sticker on the back which I print on my computer - small labels - which show my logo, trading name phone number and e-mail. That at least shows someone where they came from if they pick them up via an other outlet and you might get direct business.
Hi Cynthia, I will show your post to my hubby. He doesn't like the idea of my details being on the back of the cards but I agree with you! Someone could think 'This is gorgeous, I'd love something similar for someone else' and Bingo!!! it would bring an order! Sue.xx

Ifor-Jones
19-03-2008, 05:58 PM
I can understand why he does not want the phone number on, perhaps just e-mail if it is felt there might be a problem - most people have access to e-mail these days.

Tip Top
19-03-2008, 07:20 PM
I have a little sticker on the back of all my cards and also on the grip seal bags that I hold the die cuts and toppers and embellishments.

The sticker just says who made it and my website address so people can go on there, look at everything else and also contact me that way if they need to.:D

Focus on Life
19-03-2008, 09:05 PM
:mf:
Hi Cynthia, I will show your post to my hubby. He doesn't like the idea of my details being on the back of the cards but I agree with you! Someone could think 'This is gorgeous, I'd love something similar for someone else' and Bingo!!! it would bring an order! Sue.xx

I dont sell much in the way of cards Sue but re the phone number thing, when I first set my Blog up, my fella was also a bit concerned about putting my addres and tel on there for all the world to see! But the guys on here reassured me that, besides the need to do that for Distance Selling Regulation reasons, they'd never had any problems from displaying such info

As you say, you certainly need something on there so they have a way of contacting you when they want to recommend you or get some more cards :)

Shaz x