PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!

Ballerinacaz
17-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I make a little bit of jewelery, but would like to try out different types of beading. What do you think would be good to start off with? Do you know of any good sites that have step-by-step instructions on how to make stuff from beads? Please help here! Any tips or ideas very much appreciated!

BeadsbyLili
17-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi Caz - what sort of beading do you want to try... ? There are lots of good starter books on amazon or there are a couple of bead magazines (try WH Smith) that would give you a variety of ideas to try.

Sprinkles
17-03-2008, 08:13 PM
I buy magazines for inspiration.

It fills my head up with so many ideas, there are not enough hours in the day to make anything.

Chris W
17-03-2008, 08:21 PM
I learned how to make jewellery through looking at all the components you can buy on Ebay. Some sellers give explanations on how to use the findings.
Memory wire is very simple to use and sturdy to wear, you can thread most types of beads on it. Gemstone chip beads are inexpensive and good to experiment with.

Bea
17-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Indeed there are now two UK bead magazines. 'Bead' is every other month so you might not find it in the shops at the moment, as the next issue is out soon. Beads and Beyond is a monthly magazine with jewellery making projects, but also home decor incorporating beads.
One of the best sellers as far as books are concerned is The Basics of Bead Stringing, and quite inexpensive (under 5).
If you have time to trawl the net, there are lots of website with tutorials, with this website for instance http://jewelrymaking.about.com/.
Have fun!

new bead fan
18-03-2008, 03:58 PM
I think there are tons of books explaining the different techniques, just ask in any good book shops or book sites. If this is any help, I was given these 2 titles: The Art of Bead Embroidery (H.Kummli/S.Serafini) and Getting Started with Seed Beads (D.Wedekind) which explain various techniques step by step. Good luck!