Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

mymiyel is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Default How does everyone sell their stuff???

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hi all,

I'm not sure if there's been a thread like this one already but I've had a quick gander and not seen much.

I was just wondering what people do to get their sales and how often they do them...if that makes sense.

How do you all do on things like Etsy, eBay, Dawanda, Tuggle?

And if you do craft fairs - how often do you do these and are they worth it?

Does anyone do stalls at businesses like call centres? Are these generally better/worse than fairs?

Just wondering...

Thanks!
    Yvonne
    x
    Yvonne
    x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
    My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

woodtattoos is offline Super Moderator Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

(a) Through 'word of mouth' online to people who have heard of my work through others.
    (b) Through a Myspace site.
    (c) Etsy.
    (d) Friends and family.
    (e) Forum members (the very best customers you could ask for!)
    (f) Craft fairs when I get the chance (I normally do one every couple of months and pick up the pace a little before Christmas!)

I haven't done any private events for companies or organisations yet but I think it would be a good thing to get involved in, especially if you can demonstrate your work and personalise items perhaps at the same time.

Hope this helps!

Si.
    Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

As your products are jewellery (very nice by the way), my sales methods might differ, but I'm replying in case it helps anyway..

I advertise my stuff on etsy, dawanda and artflock. I have sold a few things on eBay but I have found that it is the wrong audience for me, as people don't want to pay the prices that customers on specific 'art/handmade' websites do. I use the other sites as advertising, I have sold a few items directly through them, but the most important thing is that they direct traffic back to my own website for people to ask for personalised samples, so I find them well worth it from that point of view.

A good percentage of my sales have been thru word of mouth, friends, family, and friends and family of people who have found me online. It's well worth spreading the word to everyone you already know.

I tried craft fairs last year, but compared to my online sales, they just weren't worth it for me, but jewellery, I'm sure, would be a different kettle of fish, another jewellery maker will hopefully advise you on this. I'm hoping to try a wedding fair or two this year, but I expect to use them as an advertising platform.

Hope that helps a little bit, its hard to know where to start but I would say just try things and you'll find what works best for you.

Focus on Life is offline Senior Member Super Big Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by woodtattoos View Post
    (b) Through a Myspace site.

Si.
    I'm not on Myspace yet Si, thanks for that idea, any tips on which of their forum groups to begin posting to?

...but back to the orig thread (so I dont get bashed on the head!) I agree you should try as many areas as you possibly can manage cos you just never know. I'm only starting out so dont have lots of sales under my belt but word of mouth's been best for me so far - so definitely tell all your family & friends & your hairdresser & anyone else you associate with, no matter how infrequently you see them

Most of the guys on here also recommend joining other forums (if you can find the time!) and posting so they get to know you a little bit and are then prompted to have a look at your Blog/Website etc

I've taken my stuff into a works canteen before today and I might still try to do a bit more of that, some firms are harder to get into than others but in my opinion its free so worth a go!

Shaz x
    Keepsake Kollections
    & Rossendale Ramblings!
    http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Default Sales

I think that craft fairs are the best way to spread the word. This gives you maximum exposure, and even if you don't do many direct sales on the day, quite often they can come back afterwards. I have started to view them as marketing ventures more than anything.

Another great thing to do is to contact local interest groups (Retired teachers' associations, Ladies Groups, Lunch clubs). If you have a genuine skill in your craft then they are often very keen to have you as a speaker. You just present 45minutes with a little display and stall and you're away. Quite often you will get paid for these, and so again they pay for your effort even if you sell very little.

I do lots of these (at least 1 a week, and up to 7-8 a week in the summer months). They work really well for me, but i am selling something quite unusual with a 'big story'.

Kerry

woodtattoos is offline Super Moderator Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

I've got around 1100 'friends' on Myspace and it's a great place to post photos of your work and send out bulletins about special offers. Most of the people I've linked to are art/craft-orientated so appreciate what we do (exactly like the Forum here!)

I've had a few orders direct through Myspace where people have seen my work and contacted me direct.

The large photo frame I completed recently came through Myspace. A lady in Scotland asked a jeweller friend if they knew where they could get a personalised frame made for a 40th birthday present and the jeweller remembered looking at my work on Myspace. She contacted me and asked for an email address to pass to her friend, who dropped me a line shortly after. The whole project was planned by email/phone and the frame is now complete. Ta da... one very substantial cheque lands on my doorstep courtesy of the e-so******ing generation!

Job's a good 'un!

Si.

In the early days it's good to try as many things as possible to find your market and how you like to sell.

It's profitable doing house parties, and doing talks for WI and groups etc, or putting a table up at a work place. There is little outlay.

However don't discount craft fairs. Finding the right ones to go to, or being prepared to travel is usually the issue. The benefit is that every customer that walks throught the door is an interested buyer. Whereas a stand in the workplace relies on interested passers by.

Debbie
    www.beadservice.net
    On-line bead supplier and bead lover

0103media is offline Administrator Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
    craftjuice items

Its really good to try lots of things..

One thing worth remebering is that the amount effort you put in yields results..

Networking sites are great BUT you need to put a good amount of effort in and everyone hates people that just promote their own stuff..

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
    (5.50 a month or 50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Thread Information