• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iBeads
    100+ crafts club
    • Apr 2010

Hot Glue Gun Advice Needed

I'm thinking about getting a hot glue gun, but have no idea how to choose a good one. I've had a look on Amazon, and some of the cheaper ones seem to have dangerous wiring.

What should I look for? Are the glue sticks all the same (except for the size), or does the glue vary?

Advice, please on what features I should be looking for, and what to avoid.
    Annie
  • Caroleecrafts
    Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
    • May 2008

I have had a few over the years. Now one from Hobbycraft, did not cost the earth but works fine. The glue sticks are all different some cold some hot, different shapes, so best to think what you want to use it for. I only use occasionally as prefer Gutermann glue for textiles

Comment

• 3dDave
      Super Moderator
      • Aug 2012

I also have a hot glue gun from Hobbycraft, no complaints here but don't glue fabrics or embellishments so can't help in that respect.

Dave.
      Last edited by 3dDave; 17-07-2015, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• iBeads
        100+ crafts club
        • Apr 2010

I will definitely be using it for gluing fabrics, or embellishments to fabrics. Possibly paper/card as well as I'm planning to make some notebooks.

There's no Hobbycraft shop near me - the nearest is about 12 miles away. However, there is a Dunelm Mill nearby. They have a hot glue gun, but I'm not really sure if it's any good.
        Annie

Comment

• 3dDave
          Super Moderator
          • Aug 2012

Paper, card etc. Can't see a problem, fabrics and embellishments, I think gutter an glue is favourite. I would have thought any large retailer selling gllue guns would be okay...there are certain low cost dot coms, and then there is the high street.

Dave.

Comment

• Caroleecrafts
            • May 2008

Hobbycraft. They do mail order as not one near me either

Comment

• iBeads
              100+ crafts club
              • Apr 2010

What is the difference between the hot and cold glue sticks? Can I use both in the same machine, or would I need to buy a hot gun and a cold gun?
              Annie

Comment

• Caroleecrafts
                • May 2008

Normally you have to have 2 guns as they heat to different temperatures. I would go for the hot. If you are looking at adding stones to fabric you may be better going for a hot fix wand with crystals as a glue gun would not be washable.

Comment

• iBeads
                  100+ crafts club
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
                  Normally you have to have 2 guns as they heat to different temperatures. I would go for the hot. If you are looking at adding stones to fabric you may be better going for a hot fix wand with crystals as a glue gun would not be washable.

Thanks. I use an iron for hot fix, so don't need glue.

I'm still trying to understand the difference between hot glue and cold glue, if they are both delivered by a gun. Does hot glue suit some materials and not others? Ditto cold glue.
                  Annie

Comment

• Caroleecrafts
                    • May 2008

Okay the difference is the temperature. The cold melt glue gun is still hot but melts the glue sticks at a lower temperature. The hot melt can be very hot and you can burn yourself

Comment

• iBeads
                      100+ crafts club
                      • Apr 2010

It seems obvious, we know, but it’s a common question people are asking via Internet search engines. And it’s a question we are asked by customers when they are looking for a glue gun from our range. THERE ARE TWO GLUE GUN OPTIONS Hot Melt – for use with all Tecbond Glues, except Low Melt Glues Low Melt – [...]Read More... from What’s the difference between Hot Melt and Low Melt Glue Guns

Here is the answer I was seeking.

Hot melt glue can be used for most materials. The disadvantage is that it may burn you as it gets very hot.

Cold melt glue should be used for materials that would be damaged by very hot glue, e.g. polystyrene.
                      Annie

Comment

• Miyazakifan
                        Junior crafter
                        • Aug 2015

Not all glue guns are the same. I purchased a dremel 930 because it was smaller than average, I tend to do small fiddly stuff, and has dual temp.. Cooler temp is def an advantage when you are likely to glue your fingers! I'm very happy with it. On the downside it eats glue like no tomorrow! For larger stuff use a larger gun (take glue sticks with a larger diameter) as its more cost effective. I have one from Lidl and I seriously think they are much of a muchness.

Comment

• Ste13
                          Junior crafter
                          • Oct 2017

There are glue guns with 2 type of temperature. F.e. you can research this blog - https:// besttoolexpert.com/hot-glue-gun-buyers-guide/

Comment

Working...
                          X