Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Claiming back expenses?

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

hi aall just a quick question regardingreceipts etc
    I've been keeping all receipts that contain any purchases to do with my business. My friend said the other day that she only claims on those that she hasn't priced into her work. Ie if I bought a notebook to alter and then sell then I shouldn't claim on notebook/papers etc as they are calculated into the price.

Is that right?..
    also what reason am I keeping receipts for? To claim back tax, if I have a vat receipt or just to work out expenses. I'm a little confused. As I've just started I don't want to forget to keep something and get told off!

Thanks guys x

Caroleecrafts is online now Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
    craftjuice items

You are keeping receipts etc and sales amounts to enter onto an annual tax return which the HMRC will send you every April along with your online code if requested when you registered for a business. They will also advise you about your class 2 nic, it could be if you anticipate the turnover to be less than I think about 4k you can get an excemption. Every item that you use in your work can be include as costs, so if you make a notebook to cover the cost of the notebook and materials are allowable. Not sure what your friend is on about here.

greannancrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Every time you make a purchase - ask yourself " would I be spending this if it wasn't for my business" If the answer is no, then it is a business expense.

If you are at a craft fair - keep stall receipt, mileage to and from, if you purchase lunch that can be set against your business as subsistence (provide you get a receipt)
    You can also claim a small amount for home usage, heating lighting, telephone, computer costs etc

HMRC run 1 day courses to help you understand what you can and cannot claim - check out your local office and get on one.

No of us want's to be paying more tax than we have to:-)

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

AnnieAnna is offline Senior Member Super mega big crafter

You are keeping the receipts because the Tax Man can knock on your door at any time (I've been told and know someone it's happened to) and ask to see all the evidence for all the figures you have put into your tax return.
    It's quite a good idea to organise your receipts (I put them in envelopes with the month written on). You might need to rummage for one to remind yourself of the cost of something or the tax man might want to check something. You'd both find it very annoyingto be presented with a carrier bagful of jumbled receipts to wade through.

You can keep receipts for anything but there's no point. What you need to keep tabs on is anything that is tax allowable. That 1 day course offered by the HMRC really helps you out with that so do go when it's offered.

In your notebook example the note book goes under the heading of materials. Materials are tax allowable. Keep the receipt.

And... I think your friend may be paying more tax than she needs to .

craftjuice items

With the notebook, it depends on what has happened to it. If you have bought it and it is not yet sold, it is an asset and not an expense. Once you have sold it, what it cost you to buy it becomes an expense called Cost of Goods Sold.

greannancrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by soyofthenorth View Post
    With the notebook, it depends on what has happened to it. If you have bought it and it is not yet sold, it is an asset and not an expense. Once you have sold it, what it cost you to buy it becomes an expense called Cost of Goods Sold.
    Is it an asset - or is it stock?

craftjuice items

Quote Originally Posted by greannancrafts View Post
    Is it an asset - or is it stock?
    Stock is an asset, normally called a current asset.

nattynetty is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

Quote Originally Posted by soyofthenorth View Post
    I would've put it down as an expense (ie it goes in the column for money spent) and then if it hasn't sold by the end of my tax year it would show up in my stock take.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

craftjuice items

You may have spent money on it but your business hasn't lost anything since you now have something worth the same amount as the money you spent. At least that's the way I was taught when I did accounting classes.

sunrise is offline Senior Member Mega Crafter

Hi I am the ' friend ' in the original post I was told a few years ago that say for example I make a card and it sells for 1.50 and it has cost 50p to make then I put the 50p down as costs and the 1 would be profit so my expenses to make this card would be 50p so therefore I would only pay tax on the 1 if that makes sense ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information