Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Someone trying to pull a fast one?

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

I had a request through my website for some sample cards from a company claiming to be looking for a card supplier. Sent of about half dozen samples in a stout card-backed envelope well sealed with plenty of sellotape. Today I received a scribbled letter from the company containing a screwed up Royal Mail 'Redirection & Keepsafe Services' bag and the roughly torn-off front of my card-backed claiming that only the front of the envelope had been delivered with no cards as damaged in said Royal Mail bag and asking me to send more samples. Now what makes me a bit suspicious is that I thought damaged mail was delivered in proper Royal Mail 'Damaged Mail' bags with printed apology/etc. on the bag and giving you a number to call, not in a 'Redirection and Keepsafe bag' with no mention of damaged mail on it. Whilst wishing to be a trusting person I get the feeling that someone might be trying to pull a fast one to get some more free samples out of me! Since I don't mark my samples as 'Sample' since I feel it detracts from the design the samples are saleable items so could make someone a few quid! I won't mention the company name yet but would be interested to know if anyone has experienced anything similar?

Seahorse is offline Super Moderator Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Nope Ive not experienced anything like that.
    If your cards only have designs on the front could you just send the front piece, like a postcard, not the full 'stand up' card?

Peter is offline Senior Member Super mega big crafter

Sounds iffy to me, you're right about the royal mail bag for damaged mail. Have they got a phone number? It might be as well to go for the 'reality' route rather than e mail.

elle is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

Sorry that you have had problems. I cant say that it has happened to me but I do agree that you have a reason to be suspicious.

Could you speak to someone at your local postoffice and ask what the procedure is fo rdamaged mail? My mother in law was a post mistress I could ask her but she is on holidays at teh moment, I can ask when she returns if you want?

I would be slightly dubious of sending more samples before getting to teh bottom of this.

candles by lisa is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

It is shocking how many times people try to **** us. We are handcrafters and can't afford to lose stock the same way the big boys can. Drives me nuts, be on your toes, I really wouldn't send any more cards though - 12 is a lot to lose.

Sorry.

Lisa

nattynetty is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsprite View Post
    Today I received a scribbled letter from the company containing a screwed up Royal Mail 'Redirection & Keepsafe Services' bag and the roughly torn-off front of my card-backed claiming that only the front of the envelope had been delivered with no cards as damaged in said Royal Mail bag and asking me to send more samples.
    If they only received the front of the envelope containing their address and no content how on earth do they know it was your package???

Unless the front also contained your address/logo or whatever I'd be highly suspicious too.

Also agree with the other poster who suggested checking with your local post office to find out the real procedure.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

hia
    i havent experienced what you have, but I sell samples on ebay, and this guy contacted me as he was opening a shop down south somewhere, stating that he ran a printing firm and was putting a small shop at the front and was looking for special handmade wedding stationery to show as samples in his shop.
    when i emailed him for more details, he came back saying, that i personally will not be in contact with the buyer (fair enough) and that 'my' details were not allowed to be printed on my stationery (after i'd done all the hard work, if he got any orders) and that the samples i send were NOT to have my details on either!!!
    how bad is that, so he wants my samples, none of my personal details showing so he can say there his blooming designs.
    as you can imagine i didnt bother emailing back....
    i also had someone on ebay, saying could i send them a sample of my best seller!!!!! i asked why and 'he' said because i just prefer purchasing a best seller sample to compare... whatever... didnt bother with that one either.
    dont get me wrong i'm not normally that bad, but i'm stupid either... x

Cool

Sound pretty dubious to me. It is such a hard world that we live in nowadays you can't trust anyone.
    You would not believe how many times I am contacted by 'so called' craft shop owners who are always just about to start a shop/website whatever and would like me to send them samples of all my CDs.
    Fell for that one a couple of times (along time ago) then I realised they were not shop owners to be or ever where going to be, they were just some right cheeky devil getting free samples of CDs they should have paid 50 retail for! Makes you suspicious of everyone unfortunately.
    Anice xx
    Funkyhand x
    my website
    http://www.funkyhand.com
    my blog (updated 09/06/10)
    http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on Twitter
    http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Tip Top is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
    craftjuice items

I'd put it down to hard experience.

Despite all the bad press about Royal Mail, they do try and rescue as much as they can if the package has got damaged and it is sent in a Damaged Bag with a little note with it and certainly not a redirected one (which I presume can be gotton hold of easily if you have a PO box number and have the mail redirected on a regular occassion.....)

I think you should tell us who it is so we all know

Popped into the local sorting office today and they thought it a little suspicious also - Whilst they said there is a small possibility that damaged mail could be put in one of those bags (say if no others where available) they reckon that it still would've had a damage label stuck on the outside indicating the kind of damage and giving a contact phone number. So I've learnt from this to be a less trusting individual and in future will limit any sample requests to 2 cards and overprint all the designs with 'SAMPLE'. What makes it worse is that I found one mention of this company on a google search (and one mention only) which is a TouchLocal site which gives a description of them as:

'We make personalised handmade cards...'

which makes me think they are either trying to pinch my designs or pass my samples off as their own, not looking for a supplier of cards as said in their original e-mail. However, because I'm a bit of a techno-crafter and do all my artwork on computer they may not be that easy to replicate and they have all got my company logo/contact details printed on the back. Additionally within my designs I put something extremely discreet that only I know about so that I can catch out anyone trying to copy them!!

Now they could be innocent and I wouldn't want to slander them. But if any of you card makers get requests for samples from a company based in Wellingborough with a name that sound very much like a well known international toy store chain but with the first word replaced by 'Greetings' then I suggest you think twice about it!

In the meantime I'm passing all the packaging to the Royal Mail to make a claim and will let them decide whether they think the original loss claim is fraudulent or not!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information