Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Default Which Embossing & Die Cutting Machine?

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hi

Well it would seem that nobody has any experience of the Quickutz Epic 6 Embossing Machine. So, how do you crafters rate either the Cuttlebug or the Sizzix Big Shot. I am looking to buy but have no experience of any of these machines. Would they both be able to cut mirrorboard, felt etc?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Christa is offline Senior Member Mega Crafter

My vote would go to the Big Shot...it takes pretty much any dies on the market (with the exception of the Grand variety which are supersized and made for the new big machines with 12-13" openings...the largest two sizes of nested Grands will not fit through a normal sized machine)

I have had mine for a few years now and use it daily...it is the best kit I ever bought and has coped with everything I have thrown at it. It is really simple to use - the sandwich system is really easy...I found the cuttlebug one a little more complex but I am sure it is easy enough once you are used to it. When I first began with my Big Shot I used to refer to the list but it wasn't necessary after a few days.

It is the dies that determine what can be cut...BIGZ type dies are deep enough to through most things (thin metal or wood sheets, plastics, felt, fabric etc as well as paper and card). Any die cutting machine will cut mirriboard ...I cut several at a time in my big shot using nesties (thin metal dies)

You can cut and emboss with either of the machines you mentioned and I am sure will find fans of both. The bug folds down and so has a slightly smaller footprint than the robust big shot.

There are some great starter deals around at the moment and if you get your machine before Xmas you might want to check out the Sizzix sale usually starts on Boxing Day and is total frustrating madness but you can bag some amazing bargains so its worth the effort.

If you've never seen either machine inaction check out you tube...there are basics vids on both that might help you make a decision.

Happy hunting...

I use my big shot, got a good bundle deal too, so got a few free things throwed in like the cutting set and some dies, which was certainly enough to start using and playing with it.

I did some resereach behand, seemed like it was between the cuttlebug or bigshot. Im really please with my choice and would certainly recommend it. Ive found that ebay is the best for buying the dies, I treat my self now and then so my collection has grown. Ive just been cutting out felt hearts and its very easy to use. like mentioned above I went on you tube and also I got a instruction cd with it to put in my computer, so was following along as the very cheerful guy told me what to do.

Hope this was of some help x

Many thanks for both of your opinions. I just have to decide which one. No doubt I will be happy with either so I will check out the best packages. Craft Superstore have them both on offer at the moment so will look at which is the best package. I like the fact that the Big Shot takes many different makes of dies.
    You mention the Sizzix sale, do they normally discount the machines too?
    Happy Crafting

Christa is offline Senior Member Mega Crafter

To be honest I've never checked for the machines in the mega sale because I have one but I really doubt it...its like all sales they are clearing space for new stock coming through and the machines are here to stay...

but I got an email from Sizzix today to say the 85% mega sale is starting today... I'm hoping this does not replace the usual festive frenzy because there's nothing on there for me today :-(

Take a look at Cutting Edge Crafts, CraftsUlove and Carole's Crafts for machines too ...they often have great deals and its worth checking. Cutting edge do free p&p too and have great CS...but the deals are usually slightly different and its worth comparing to see what works best for you.

Thread Information