• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michelleC
    100+ crafts club
    • Jan 2007

What do you look for???

We have organised a few craft fairs. We don't look to make a profit on hall hire, or table rental. We choose carefully the exhibitors and try to make a good mix. (not too much of any type of craft). Only true Handcrafters. We put a lot of time and energy into organising these events. We try to think of everything down to music and lighting, providing our crafters with refreshments. We give incentives like mulled wine (at Christmas) sherry etc to over 18's of course and soft drinks. Biscuits. Activities for the kids.
    Why do we do it. OK to be honest so we can provide the right outlet for our own crafts, and of course those trusted crafters we have got to know along the way.
    OK so here is my point.......
    Would you rather exhibit at a large (out to make a profit from hard working crafters/artists). Pay through the nose and make them rich.
    Or would you turn to the hard grafting small, caring, not out to make a profit, understanding, fellow crafter????

The profit these people must make on these large craft fairs is unbelievable. How the **** do we compete? They charge silly money. the average crafter will either make a loss or cannot afford to do it in the first place. So what do they attract?? commercial TAT.
    OK OK ill will quit moaning now lol.
    Just seems that quality fairs are for the organisers to make a profit.
    COME ON CRAFTERS LETS DO IT FOR OURSELVES>>>>>>
    http://butterbeandesigns.co.uk/
  • Katianne
    Super Big Crafter
    • Jan 2007

I am with you Michelle. Where abouts are you - I would attend your fairs if they are anywhere near me!!!???
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

• willowmax
      So much more than a moderate crafter
      • Feb 2007

I'm with you too - I did a fair that I had not done before and it had a car boot in the same venue. I love car boots but people don't want to spend £3-£5 on something handcrafted when they can buy loads of stuff at the car boot for that. Most of the stuff was imported - very little was hand crafted
      Willowmax
      Handcrafted Cards for Special Occassions
      www.willowmaxdesign.com

email - [email protected]

Comment

• michelleC
        100+ crafts club
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by katian_krafts View Post
        I am with you Michelle. Where abouts are you - I would attend your fairs if they are anywhere near me!!!???
        Im sat right in the middle of nottingham/Derby The midlands.
        How many craft fairs have you done where the organisers are faceless. When you pay your money thats it.
        Im sorry in winging again. Just im really passionate about quality craftmanship. (thats not to say always get it right lol) but we do try
        http://butterbeandesigns.co.uk/

Comment

• Katianne
          Super Big Crafter
          • Jan 2007

Not too far from me at all then...are you oragnising any more near xmas? Let me know if you do. The first fair I did I didn't even see the organiser until the end, when she came round asking if I wanted to do the next one!!!
          Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

• willowc
            Moderate crafter
            • Apr 2007

I live in leicestershire so not too far for me either, a Christmas one I may be interested in as well
            Maz

Preserving yesterdays memories for Tomorrow at www.willow-crafts.com

Comment

• Potter Doodle Doo
              100+ crafts club
              • May 2007

I've just done a big event, and to be fair, the organisers were there throughout. It was the first one that I'd done, but they had been in the game over 30 years and offered great help, advice and support to the few of us who had just started. It was a fantastic atmoisphere with a lot of the exhibiters doing the same 'circuit' month after month, year after year.

I didn't find the table money too high (we paid £40 per day for a double table). However, due to the extreme weather, we only just made our money back at the end of it all. That was certainly no fault of the organisers.

I have looked at other events where the table money is astronomical. One in particular closeby is asking £200 for a 10ft frontage for 2 days! I was very tempted to do this event until I saw how much it cost. I would have to do so much work before I broke even :-(

I personally think that both have their place. The large events get many people through the door looking at your items. A good marketing exercise for future internet sales too. The small events don't tend to have the volume of visitors but from the ones I've visited, they do tend to buy rather than just look.
              Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Comment

• icecreamgirl
                Super crafter
                • Mar 2007

I'm trying a fair in october which is by a big organiser, it's the biggest and most expensive i've ever done, 130.00 but that's for Fri eve all day sat & sun. I also think that both types of fair have their place.I'm using this one as a marketing exersice. I've been as a customer and it's a very good venue, with a lot of advertising, everyone has got to know about it, as a place to buy quality gifts for Christmas. Although there is a lot of bought in products i would not say that any of it was 'cheep tat' like you sometimes see people trying to sell at local craft fairs.So we will see how it goes.In my experience the smaller craft fairs i've done have been just people waundering round looking, just to get ideas and not buying. If you aren't 'in the crowd' ie, not from the village then people don't buy from you it can be very 'clicky'Also you have to remember that although it seems like the organisers will be making a shed load of money, it costs an awfull lot to put a large fair on all the marques, insurance,cost of the venue, lighting etc i'm sure dont come cheep, and of course the larger organisers have more of a budget for advertising, which at the end of the day is the most important thing, it dosent matter how good the craft fair is if no one comes to visit.....Atthe end of the day it depends what you are after, and everyone will have a favourite of the two types...
                http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X