• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FallenAngel
    Junior crafter
    • Sep 2010

Fimo Question

Hi,

I'm new here I was just wondering whether any one knew at what temperature fimo burns/melts completely. I don't even know if its possible to really burn into into ashes and was interested to know. Thanks if anyone can help.

I am really into crafts, and jewellery making. I particularly love fimo. Hope to get to know you all.

x
  • Lilac Moon
    Mega Crafter
    • Jul 2008

Im not sure if you can burn it into ashes, I suppose it is possible but wouldn't recommend it in your own oven, it does give off nasty / toxic fumes when over cooked. if you really must try it do it outside. it would be an interesting experiment.
    Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

• ejralph
      Super Big Crafter
      • Nov 2006

Don't even try it! As Hils says, if you burn Fimo or any other polymer clay, it gives off nasty, toxic fumes.

To be honest, there is nothing to be gained by cremating your clay ;-) Burnt plastic is never particularly attractive!

Emma
      Emma
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
      www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

• krielj
        100+ crafts club
        • Jun 2009

Oh my word - this brings back memories. I once spent a whole day making load of different beads and I popped the trays in the oven and went out to do some gardening. When I came back there was black smoke billowing out of the kitchen and my beads were reduced to charcoal. I had leaned against the temperature dial after putting them in and whacked the temp up to the maximum! I was so upset but I have never done it again. So in answer to your question - Yes - it is definitely possible to burn polymer clay to ashes!
        Jayne
        http://www.folksy.com/shops/Jaykay

Comment

• bubbleicious
          500+ Crafters Club
          • Jul 2008

Not really a good idea, burnt fimo is toxic in fact done correctly will give off fumes. I have burnt things by changing my oven from electric to gas ( very trial and error!) mind you my cooking isn't up to much either!
          Bubbleicious http://www.fimo-heaven.com
          Folksy Shop http://www.folksy.com/shops/SweetFimoHeaven
          Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/fimo_heaven
          Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fimo-H...27078970739421

Comment

• Silverthistle
            Super crafter
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bubbleicious View Post
            . . . mind you my cooking isn't up to much either!
            Just having a flashback now to the Rice Crispie cakes I burnt last week - overdid the melting of the chocolate in the microwave . . . .

Now I understand why DH does most of the cooking !

Francesca
            * BLOG * WEB * FACEBOOK * TWITTER *
            Watch faces, Crystal Innovations sliders and much more

* Rome wasn't built in a day - although that was the builders original estimate *

Comment

• FallenAngel
              Junior crafter
              • Sep 2010

Hi Everyone,

I was not considering trying to burn the fimo into ashes lol. I just was curious as to whether this is possible. Thank you all for your replies. I havent burnt any creations yet (touch wood). Some say it is more like a plastic than a clay, and as I thought plastic melts rather than burns to cinders I was intrigued.

Thanks
              xx

Comment

• ejralph
                Super Big Crafter
                • Nov 2006

Oh it is definitely a plastic. It's primary ingredient is PVC. That said, not all plastics will melt anyway, some will simply smoulder and char.

I hope I didn't cause any offense in my answer, just wasn't sure if you were just wondering or had some idea to actually try it which would have been quite a bad way to lose a new member so quickly ;-)

Emma
                Emma
                www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                X