Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picky customer

bella6 is offline Member So much more than a moderate crafter

Default Picky customer

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

Hi, Im a curtain and blind maker and made a couple of blinds for a friend of a friend a few weeks ago. Got a phonecall toaday sayiny her husband has put them up and that one is 10cm shorter. I said no probs I can let down the bottom hem and make a few adjustments and then her sister inlaw was in the background shouting and the cord is to short so they can't let the blind down. I said I would pop over tomorrow and pick blind up. The thing is when I finish blinds I always give them a good checking over so I know the cords were'nt to short. I asked if she could measure the window drop again for me and she said it was 144cm. When I measured the window I could have sworn it was 135cm and I always double check measurements. I have now found out she has a bit of a rep for this sort of thing to get money back form people who do work for her. Anybody got any advice dealing with tricky customers?

MornieG Jewellery is offline Senior Member Super mega big crafter

I don't think you have a problem if you are going there tomorrow, and ask her to leave the blind fixed in place so you can see the problem. Either you have made a genuine mistake in your measurements which will be evident when you get there, her husband has hung them in the wrong place or she is lying for some reason.

You go prepared to apologise if you are in the wrong and remake or alter quickly. Stand your ground if she is, agree to any alterations at her cost, you tell her the price, and take at least a 50% deposit so your actual costs are covered, if not all of it upfront as she might not pay you when you have done it anyway.

Good luck, I hate situtations like this too, hope it all works out amicably. Mo.XX
    Mo. MornieG Jewellery.
    Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
    www.wowthankyou.co.uk/woodngems
    https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Some people are never happy no matter what you do.
    I would do as you said and check everything, talk to her and make sure she's with you when you take the measurements, make any alterations that you need to. Once you are happy that they are to the high standard you usually work to and you are sure they are fine take them back, if she still moans you have to be firm and prepared to walk away.
    I know that the customer is always right and you have to protect your reputation, but sometimes it really isn't worth it and you have to say to yourself it's their problem not yours.
    I hope that makes sense Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MornieG Jewellery View Post
    I don't think you have a problem if you are going there tomorrow, and ask her to leave the blind fixed in place so you can see the problem. Either you have made a genuine mistake in your measurements which will be evident when you get there, her husband has hung them in the wrong place or she is lying for some reason.

You go prepared to apologise if you are in the wrong and remake or alter quickly. Stand your ground if she is, agree to any alterations at her cost, you tell her the price, and take at least a 50% deposit so your actual costs are covered, if not all of it upfront as she might not pay you when you have done it anyway.

Good luck, I hate situtations like this too, hope it all works out amicably. Mo.XX
    That was what I was basically getting at but you said it much better Mo! lol

Critchley is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

What ever you do if you have to return any money return it all and take the blind home with you, that way she won't benefit. If you leave the blind there she has won. Be firm about that. I am sure you will sell the blind to someone else eventually.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

I agree with what the others have said.
    I know the measurements don't match up so I am just wondering if she has decided to put one in a different window, but wants you to change them for free?
    I also wonder whether she has changed her mind and is maybe trying to get out of having it. So be ready to ride over any comments from her like 'if it's too much trouble to alter it I think I will just forget about it' and make sure that nothing is too much trouble and you will make it exactly how she wants. If she decides not to have it I would keep back at least 1/2 of the money for the materials etc. as it has been custom made.

Melanie

Critchley is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

Yes, I wondered that. Do please tell.

i saw a home made venetian type blind last week,in my job as a window cleaner-it looked intriguing and im going to look at it closer some time soon !

AgnesCotley is offline Junior Member Junior crafter

There are really some people who will just test your temper. The best thing you can do is go there and talk to them. If they really asking for the money and not satisfied with your work, return the money all and take the blind with you. Just don't be angry and always talk to them nice. In business like this, surely this kind of customer you always want to avoid.
    Not craft related

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information