• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • H Bee
    100+ crafts club
    • Dec 2008

icing a sponge cake

hi all, for mothers day i am planning on baking my mum a sponge cake in and then making it into a car (some how). I want to us 'ready to roll icing' but was just wandering if i need to coat the cake in a jam first to make it stick???? i have never iced a cake before so this project is a little adventurous for a first time lol but she will love it if it looks good, even if it looks crap im sure she will still like the effort i made
    Handmade Jewellery
    Follow me on Twitter
    www.
    elizakate.co.uk
    Etsy Shop!
  • Lilac Moon
    Mega Crafter
    • Jul 2008

Hi.... I would use apricot jam so it wont 'bleed' through the icing as much or you could try butter icing.. I think I have a design for a car cake. I'll see if I can find it for you.
    Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

• H Bee
      100+ crafts club
      • Dec 2008

ooo thanks that would be great.

ill use apricot jam as i will be using butter icing and strawberry jam in the middle (i hope) and don't want it to be too rich. Im going to have a practice this weekend and see how it goes as if it doesnt work i have a week to think of something else
      Handmade Jewellery
      Follow me on Twitter
      www.
      elizakate.co.uk
      Etsy Shop!

Comment

• Scorch
        Super Big Crafter
        • May 2008

Yup - warmed, sieved apricot jam, brushed on...
        Cheers,
        Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
        Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

• the card shark
          Super crafter
          • Dec 2009

A thin layer of buttercream works a treat. It's much easier to spread on the cake than apricot jam and the sugarpaste sticks to it better.

I always use buttercream to adhere sugarpaste to my sponge cakes including this one I did once:

Last edited by the card shark; 04-03-2010, 10:23 AM.
          Carol
          Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
          Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

Comment

• H Bee
            100+ crafts club
            • Dec 2008

wow carol that cake is brilliant!!! did you have a template for the car?? if you do could you tell me where you got it from as my mums new car is quiet similar to a noddy car
            Handmade Jewellery
            Follow me on Twitter
            www.
            elizakate.co.uk
            Etsy Shop!

Comment

• Rosamundi
              100+ crafts club
              • Nov 2009

Hi

Your mom will love it

I brush my cakes with sieved apricot jam (put jam in microwave until it's warm and runny and put it through a sieve to get the lumps out) to stick things to it or I add a thin coating of buttercream.

One thing to remember if you aren't marzipaning (nothing wrong in that) is not to roll your icing too thin or the lumps and bumps will show through

Comment

• H Bee
                100+ crafts club
                • Dec 2008

Thanks for the advice about not rolling the icing to thin, im not putting marzipan on as dont think it will go with a sponge. I'm making a practise cake this weekend, if it goes ok ill try and post a picture.
                Handmade Jewellery
                Follow me on Twitter
                www.
                elizakate.co.uk
                Etsy Shop!

Comment

Working...
                X