X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AliCat
    Super mega big crafter
    • Jul 2009

I do a market about once a month and find it can be very frustrating. But once people get to know that you are there, you build up a customer base. Bad weather is an absolute killer for outdoor market fairs (especially if, like the one I do, there is an indoor shopping centre in the same location!)

Good luck tomorrow - I will pray for better weather for you. Kudos to you for not getting disheartened!

Looking forward to hearing better news from you tomorrow evening!
    Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
    Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

• Emmalou
      500+ Crafters Club
      • May 2008

Well done for getting out there and not being disheartened by the lack of sales.
      Keep at it,I'm sure things will pick up.
      Fingers crossed for warmer weather(well at least not rain) and lots of sales

Emma
      My Blog
      Twitter
      Facebook

Comment

• silverjewelleryworkshop
        Super crafter
        • Feb 2009

Keep plugging away, I'm sure it'll get busier when the weather improves.
        Wishing you good luck.

Caroline
        silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
        bespoke handmade jewellery
        Silver Jewellery blog
        Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

• missie
          500+ Crafters Club
          • Feb 2009

Good luck for tomorrow, Saturdays are always busy I bet, our local market in Ormskirk is Thursay and Saturday and when I visit it, Saturdays is mad busy ...lol

Let us all know how you get on xxxxx
          Onwards and upwards, good luck xxx
          http://www.folksy.com/shops/GothicFusion
          http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Got...28851500470172
          http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/missie_miss/
          Jaci-Ann

Comment

• Lou-Lou's Mum
            Junior crafter
            • Nov 2009

I wish you the very, very best of luck with the stall and your new venture. I had a permanent market stall many years ago (after working up through the ranks of 'casuals').

As everyone has said, dress warmly, more warmly than you think you'll need as you'll be standing still or sitting and you do get cold when you're still. Put some insulation under your feet, cardboard boxes or something to stand on, it helps keep your feet warmer. Do take a flask of hot drink or soup with you, some sandwiches and a few snacks, it's very easy to spend a huge chunk of profit on takeaway food/coffee/tea!!

You may find that your fellow market traders are your best customers, which is always nice. A discount is the norm and they will do the same for you. Also, watching over your stall (and you over theirs!) when you nip to the loo is a welcome courtesy. If you hang on until the close of play, go and do a veg/fruit shop at your nearest stall and they'll give you a great price, often stuff for free too.

Just a final point but do keep an eye on your money....... Wear a money belt or similar. Don't be falsely trusting. A cash box is such an easy target for thieves and we knew of quite a few unlucky traders that lost money when distracted by clever criminals.

Best of luck again!
            Cheryl

Comment

• Lou-Lou's Mum
              Junior crafter
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by missie View Post
              our local market in Ormskirk is Thursay and Saturday
              Heh heh! That made me smile; I was born in Ormskirk and I loved the market; one of the very best I've ever been to, such a wide variety of stalls, too. It was much better after they pedestrianised the town centre; before that the traffic and buses had a terrible time squeezing past all the stalls!

Comment

• missie
                500+ Crafters Club
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Lou-Lou's Mum View Post
                Heh heh! That made me smile; I was born in Ormskirk and I loved the market; one of the very best I've ever been to, such a wide variety of stalls, too. It was much better after they pedestrianised the town centre; before that the traffic and buses had a terrible time squeezing past all the stalls!
                Wow your a long way from home ....

My 3 children and my husband are from Ormskirk, I'm a Liverpool gal myself.

I'm off to the market tomorrow ...lol I bet you wouldn't recognise the place now tho' especially since Woolies closed and is now being replaced with Iceland ....lol
                http://www.folksy.com/shops/GothicFusion
                http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Got...28851500470172
                http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/missie_miss/
                Jaci-Ann

Comment

• applecrafts
                  100+ crafts club
                  • Feb 2010

Good Luck

I am sure your business will pick up when more people know you are there. You could always ask to be put on the waiting list for some of the busier days.
                  Good Luck and keep smiling and chat to anyone who comes to your stall whether they buy or not, even if you just talk about the weather it is good to get to chat to people and many appreciate someone taking the time to say hello.
                  Web site:http://www.applecrafts.webeden.co.uk

Blog:

Comment

• vgbear
                    100+ crafts club
                    • Nov 2008

Thanks again for all your kind messages and advice.

Well what a difference a day makes.

Got up again at 6.30 this morning (I dont think I have done this on a Saturday for many of a year).

Made my way to Bury on another freezing and grey day. It did look like it was going to brighten but it decided to rain again and we my husband forgot one of the bags of new stock so it wasnt looking good.

However we made our first sale by about 10.30 and then got an order for two custom hooded towels which we are to take on Wednesday. It then trickled all my stuff is only between a £1.00 and £4.99 so it takes a lot to make a lot.

However about 2.30 two ladies came to me and asked if I could embroider them some polo shirts, I agreed I could and it was an order for 14 for a new ladies dart team again that I have to take on Wednesday. So we went from a £1.00 yesterday to a £100 today.

Also we had loads of people asking us questions about what we could do and also loads of people who know people who are having to have babies and were waiting to know the sex or the colour so that they could buy them something.

So it was a really positive day and made me feel that this might even work,

Sorry for my waffling and again I just want to say thanks to all those who have left such positive comments.

Really excited about my craft fair tomorrow now as it is the first time I can do on the stop embroidery and make things while people wait as I can get electric there.
                    www.babybearcreations.co.uk - handmade stationery and cards

www.buggable.weebly.com - personalised t-shirts and clothing, work wear and hen and stag t-shirts.

Comment

• gbell
                      Mega Crafter
                      • Jan 2009

brilliant, when people start to know you are there, you will get steady orders.
                      www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

• Decima
                        100+ crafts club
                        • Jan 2010

Good Luck, don't forget the flask!
                        http://www.decimadesigns.com

www.decimablog.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                        X