Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Cuckoos Nest is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Default Is it just me or what???

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

I don't know if I'm on my own here but I absolutely hate the term 'crafter'. It seems totally meaningless to me.

To be called a jeweller, a wood turner, a pyrographer, a potter, a card maker, a soap maker, a textile artist or whatever, suggests that someone has taken their craft seriously enough to study and learn and get good at it.

On the other hand, what is a crafter? Is it just me or what?

greannancrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

I don't like the term either.

If generalising I prefer "producer", but then I probably do too many Farmers Markets?

Interestingly, when insuring our vans, under the section for occupation, there is a craftswoman, but not a craftsman?

Jane
    Last edited by greannancrafts; 21-02-2010 at 01:19 AM.
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

I'm with you, I don't like it either. I think it probably originated in America. When I was doing craft fairs in the 80's I don't think I'd heard of the term.

I like the term designer/maker, as that's what most of us are. Crafter sounds a bit amateurish to me.
    digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
    blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com/ (the home of Handmade Monday!)
    hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
    blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

craftjuice items

I'm guilty of using the term Crafter and the reason I do, with reference to myself, is that I'm always afraid of sounding a little pompous if I say I'm a 'fibre artist' BUT having read this thread I like the idea of designer/maker and so I may try and drum that into my head for future use.

Another thought is and I mean no disrespect to others in Wiltshire, but I live in an ancient market town and I mix with many elderly people who ask me 'what craft do you do?' what type of crafts? how long have you been crafting' etc and therefore 'crafter' seems applicable to me. I really don't mind what people refer to me as. Each to their own though.
    ~ Rachael
    My etsy Shop Blog

bodrighy is online now Senior Member Super mega big crafter

I think the terminology used can be important especially when trying to market your work. Jeweler sounds much more professional than crafter which has a very amateurish ring about it. Card designer, wood artist, Fabric designer etc all sound somehow more important and to the general public probably invoke a different, better image.

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    My Craft Shop: Facebook
    Art fire Shop: The Blog

Critchley is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!

I really don't mind being known as a 'crafter'. It may be because I had many different titles in my working life, i.e. Office Manager, Credit Controller, Proprietor, and so on, but then, of course, I don't market my goods for sale which must put a completely different slant on it. Its not what we think, its what others perception of the word is that is important if you are marketing your goods.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

beadsbydesign is offline Super Moderator Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
    craftjuice items

I don't mind the term, because it makes me feel like one of a whole gang.... all in it together!
    I border over many crafts and so to define my self as one thing would be to deny the other aspects of me.
    I tend to decribe myself as a multi media artist (now how pompous does that sound?

HF Glass Lady is offline Senior Member 500+ Crafters Club

I consider myself an artist! Thats what I trained as but I don't like to refer to myself as an artist, agree with above sounds a bit pompous, am just someone who makes things out of glass!

I like the term but feel it is not relevant to me as I think it refers to more traditional skills like wood work, spinning, hedge building and weaving etc and in these instances evokes highly skilled images of time honoured, handed down skills learned over a life time.

A while ago a friend introduced as an artist and that sounded so arrogant (which I suppose is a confidence issue). I do paint and sell my paintings so artist is not incorrect - but when he said it I immediately thought of famous painters and wouldn't classify myself anywhere near them!

I usually tell people I design and make fused glass jewellery but on my website etc I say 'fused glass art'.

I call my workspace, the craft room, which makes my son cringe and he begs me not to say it in front of his friends. For my blog etc I say my small studio (again feel pompous) but studio does hold more credence than craft room.

I'll get off the fence now
    Terry xxx
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
    Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Cuckoos Nest is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

If you trained to be a solicitor you'd be proud to call yourself a solicitor - or a teacher, nurse, retail manager etc. etc. You wouldn't tell people you were a 'people worker'.

I think sometimes when we're afraid of sounding pompous or arrogant it's more a confidence thing.

If you design and make things in glass, then you are a glass artist or a designer. It immediately tells people what you do and makes it sound good and interesting.

I understand Critchley's point that if you don't market your goods, or like to have a bit of a dabble here and there (and don't we all!) then crafter is a good general description. But not for people who are selling their work professionally.
    Last edited by Cuckoos Nest; 21-02-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information