• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foxy-s
    So much more than a moderate crafter
    • May 2009

Blog suggestions please!

I am new to all this and would really appreciate guidance regarding what to put up on my blog. How do you go about getting other people involved, putting links to each others' blogs etc? Is it simply a question of being bold and asking people? It has been suggested that I should invite people to become friends of my blog, but I don't want to twist peoples' arms behind their backs!!!

Do peoples' blogs look good because they spend so much time on them, or because they have been up and running for a while? Any feedback, info on both my blog and my website would be fantastic.
    Cheers
    www.loulabelleathome.blogspot.com
    www.loulabelleathome.etsy.com
  • sherrielinda
    Mega Crafter
    • Apr 2008

Can't help with the answer, but will watch this thread as I'm just starting a blog myself AND struggling to get going, good luck though.
    My blog http://setters-delight.blogspot.com

Folksy http://www.justgifts.folksy.com

Comment

• nsterling
      Banned
      Moderate crafter
      • Feb 2010

Just continue blogging and write interesting ideas. At first it is hard to had a follower but later it will come.

Comment

• rainbowfizz
        100+ crafts club
        • Jan 2010

I am now following your blog! I would say just make sure you promote your blog, have links to it in your signatures, chat in forums and just generally get your work seen. Regarding blog content, try and blog as regularly as possible and upload pics to it so people can see what you are making! Another thing you could do which is something i am considering doing on my own very soon, is to have a feature where you showcase other sellers work. that way you are giving other sellers a bit of free advertising and helping them get seen, which is a nice thing to do aswell as promoting your own shop. When youve done a feature like these post in forums and let people know so they can go and view your blog. if you want to add links to other peoples sites then send a pm, im sure noone would mind.
        Also if other people know you have a blog and website then they might showcase some of your work too! its worth looking out for anyone who offers to feature you as a guest blogger too, sometimes they post on here looking for people to email them so they can do a guest feature on theirs. also make your blog really eye catching, add gadgets to it, you can also have a blog background too, cuteblogontheblock.com is a really good one to try if you like. they have a big variety of backgrounds to make your blog really stand out. hope some of this helps, good luck..
        Last edited by rainbowfizz; 17-02-2010, 04:37 PM.
        For a collection of unique and beautifully made decorative scarves please visit:
        www.rainbowfizz.misi.co.uk

also my new blog:
        www.rainbowfizzblog.blogspot.com

Comment

• Mushroom
          100+ crafts club
          • Feb 2010

Well it certainly helped me reading that, thank you.

Will take a look Foxy, I am new to blogging too and struggling to even work out how to add to others Its like a whole new world.
          Bags Of swank
          Bags Of Swank Blog
          My Etsy store
          Crafts For Charity

Comment

• BlueShedCrafts
            100+ crafts club
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by foxy-s View Post
            I am new to all this and would really appreciate guidance regarding what to put up on my blog. How do you go about getting other people involved, putting links to each others' blogs etc? Is it simply a question of being bold and asking people? It has been suggested that I should invite people to become friends of my blog, but I don't want to twist peoples' arms behind their backs!!!

Do peoples' blogs look good because they spend so much time on them, or because they have been up and running for a while? Any feedback, info on both my blog and my website would be fantastic.
            Cheers
            I'm following you now and you didn't need to twist my arm!
            I Blog about my crafts, gardening, my dog ....allsorts. Pictures speak louder than words and save people alot of time too.
            The only thing that ever dissapoints me is when people haven't updated for months on end.
            ~ Rachael
            My etsy Shop Blog

Comment

• BlueShedCrafts
              100+ crafts club
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mushroom View Post
              Well it certainly helped me reading that, thank you.

Will take a look Foxy, I am new to blogging too and struggling to even work out how to add to others Its like a whole new world.
              Following yours too now.

I hope you do well on folksy.
              ~ Rachael
              My etsy Shop Blog

Comment

• wendy
                Super mega crafter
                • Nov 2007

I agree about it being disappointing when people haven't updated for months. A short post is better than none.

If something comes into my head, I type up a short draft and save it to drafts - it's a reminder of what I was thinking about and the start of another post when I can't think what to say or am short on time. I have quite a number saved now.

Think about what customers ask you. If they are interested in knowing things, maybe your readers will be.

You can blog about everyday things too, it can liven a blog up as long as it's not too wordy and there's plenty of pics.

Your workspace usually makes for an interesting post. People love to be nosy - it's one of the joys of blog-reading!

If you keep blogging, keep in mind keywords, keep linking where you can, you will gain readers naturally as time goes on.
                digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
                blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
                hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
                blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

• foxy-s
                  So much more than a moderate crafter
                  • May 2009

Thanking you all

Thanks for your responses. Had a busy day crafting today. Read all about it on my blog later. Off to blog!!!
                  www.loulabelleathome.blogspot.com
                  www.loulabelleathome.etsy.com

Comment

• C Hupfield Ceramics
                    Super crafter
                    • Feb 2009

I would say the blogs that 'look good' are because they do have a lot of time spent on them, and because they have been going for a while - it can take some time to get your blog 'off the ground'. I've had my blog for a year now and I would say I've only just got to grips with everything!! It is well worth doing though, and very much recommended. I couldn't live without mine now! I sometimes get withdrawal symptoms

I'm blogging a few times a week at the moment. I like to read blogs that are updated atleast weekly, it keeps me interested and I like to be nosey!

I blog mostly about things related to my ceramics, but also about recipes, trips I've been on, my cat, what I've been upto, events, etc. You could also host giveaways and feature other designers work to interest others and keep them coming back. Feel free to have a look at my blog to get an idea: http://www.charlottehupfieldceramics.blogspot.com/

Making good use of the widgets & gadgets in your sidebar is a good tip. If you need any help on how to do things, have a read through this newly set up blog by Haptree - it is aimed at bloggers and a new article was recently written for people thinking about starting a blog: http://craftbloguk.blogspot.com/

Happy blogging

Comment

Working...
                    X