• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GT3000
    Junior crafter
    • Feb 2010

London Clay - ever tried?

Has anyone ever used it, I'm keen to know how it handles.
  • toppotter
    100+ crafts club
    • Jan 2009

What is and who sells London Clay?

What is and who sells London Clay? I think I am right in saying that most clay for the potter/handbuilder /sculptor is produced in Stoke.
    www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

• Daesul
      Mega Crafter
      • Aug 2009

Is it the clay that London actually stands on? Have you dug some up?

I've dug up clay out for the ground in Hampshire, cleaned and used that. It was OK - an earthenware red until fired, when it turned black.
      Daesul

http://www.clairemanwani.com
      http://www.folksy.com/shops/clairemanwani
      http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ClaireManwaniPottery

Comment

• AnnieAnna
        Super mega big crafter
        • Nov 2008

Isn't it the stuff they made/make London bricks out of and isn't it yellow?
        AnnieAnna

Comment

• AnnieAnna
          Super mega big crafter
          • Nov 2008

Just googled and on houses the bricks are yellow, geologically the mud looks grey or red and on Folksy the little London clay birds are red and black.
          None the wiser but I've found out you can make bricks and ornaments from it.
          What did you fancy making GT?

Comment

• Potter Jo
            Moderate crafter
            • Sep 2010

Hello, just joined this forum today and am browsing through some of these older posts. I don't know if this is still relevant but I have used London Clay. The gas board had dug a very deep hole outside my house and there was lots of clay a couple of feet down so I pinched a bucket load.

It did take time to reclaim, remove stones, tarmac and organic matter, but it was very nice to throw with, if a little stiff. I fired it to earthenware temperatures - it melted at the higher stoneware heat. The effect was that of terracotta - a nice toasty red colour.

It was a wonderful feeling to be working with something I'd reclaimed myself from the urban environment. Next time the road is dug up nearby, I plan to grab some more!

Comment

• AnnieAnna
              Super mega big crafter
              • Nov 2008

You've just reminded me - the first house we bought had a builder's site type garden. While digging graves for our plants we realised it was solid Essex clay. Gardening was soon forgot and I had all the kids in the neighbourhood round ours making pottery cups and saucers and 'sculptures'. It was brilliant. It was pure clay. Unfortunately I didn't have the bravado to ask my local school to fire anything (slightly daft as my husband worked in the Art Department!). I wouldn't be so shy now .

AnnieAnna
              PS
              For anyone gardening on clay all I'm saying is Albertine roses and St John's Wort. The only things I got to grow, and boy, they grew like the clappers!

Comment

Working...
              X