Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need a cite for tax (not site!)

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

I'm really sorry to ask this, but I'm really frazzled and can't find it here or on the Inland Revenue site:

Can someone point me to where it cites on a government site about selling as a hobby, that you need to register for tax, and that you have three months from the start of selling to register. I thought I'd seen it on the Inland Revenue site, but now I can't see it, grr.

Thanks
    ContinuumDesigns- artisan polymer clay beads for one-of-a-kind designs.

The FHFTeam - featuring glass, jewellery and art handmade in the UK.

greannancrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Selling is selling to Mr Taxman - whether you are a hobbyist or corporate.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/businesses/index.shtml

You should find some help there, or phone them, they are very helpful.

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Thanks, I'll have a look through. The reason I asked is that I wanted to show someone else the relevant excerpts about selling, and if it actually says that in effect, the moment you start to sell, you're considered a trader.

(I don't dispute that at all, I just want something in print to back me up, and didn't really want to ring up instead)

They wouldn't mind you phoning, every time I've called they've been most helpful and maybe could point you in the right direction to find the item in print.

When I looked I found it really vague as to whether or not I was self employed! I didn't think I was and wanted to pay my tax on any income from selling jewellery through PAYE as 'other earnings'. I wrote them a letter setting it all out and they decided I was self employed. I couldn't be bothered to argue and filled in the tax returns and to be honest it's not that bad.
    I'd give them a ring to set it all out but be prepared for them to say you are self employed as because as soon as you make any money they will want their cut! ( My first year I owed them 6p and they still wanted it )

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll try looking under self-employment. When it comes to arguing with someone though, there's nothing quote like showing them the proof in black and white (short of recording a phone call to the Inland Revenue, the website was the easiest way to do it...but I can't find it in writing!)

AnnieAnna is offline Senior Member Super mega big crafter

Hi Hazer,
    this is accountants disscussing the subject. Don't be mislead by the 2000 thing. That was true in the past but was been bopped on the head a decade or more ago. http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/i...nt-t10394.html

And here are some examples from the tax man himself that make it pretty clear (he even uses a crafter as an example ) http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/selling/examples.htm

AnnieAnna

Caroleecrafts is offline Senior Member Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
    craftjuice items

Basically if you are buying materials to make items or just to sell on, then you are trading. Amounts do not come into the trading part, they only become relevant for things such as Class 2 NIC and off course your PA, if you are not working.

A lot of crafters are also employed be it all part time, they pay PAYE on their earnings but still submit tax returns annually. If you are currrently paying NIC through PAYE there is a threshold of about 4k (but check this) before you need to pay the class 2 as well, this is when the exemption certificate has to be applied for.

I always feel that it is better to be safe than sorry and register a business with the IR, that way you are covered. They have courses you can go on and are very helpful.

If you are unlikely to be making a lot of money from your venture then you may be eligible for an exemption certificate for class 2 national insurance.

I had an exemption certificate when I was employed part time (earning about 11k per annum) and working as self-employed on an adhoc basis (was doing data entry - earnings ranged from 150 to 1600 p.a.).

I thoroughly recommend you give your local tax office a call. They were very helpful with me and of course you can always ask them to point you in the right direction concerning their website if you want to view the information yourself.
    Carol
    Pop Up Zoo Greetings cards - Raising money for Sands in memory of my precious son Ben Folksy Shop, Facebook Page, You Tube
    Carol's Yummy Bakes - My new business Website, Facebook Page

AnnieAnna, thank you, that's brilliant, just what I needed!

Thanks everyone else for the advice too - I'll show it to my 'argument buddy' to show real crafters' experience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information