Craft forums - Part of the Crafts Directory

Default Is it a good idea to have 'Sale' after christmas ?

Please note these ads will not show for registered crafts forum members.
    Click here to register...

With all the SALE signs geting their annual airing next week are crafters/handmakers expected to join in the post christmas stock giveaway on the high street or not ?..

We sell our seconds at reduced prices on a seperate table all the year round, but i dont personally think it's a good idea to reduce the price of your good items after the big day in case you set a precedent for following years .. what do others think ?

Fortunately pottery folks like us can just box up our unsold seasonal wares till the following christmas.. not so for the food producers though.
    Last edited by potpartner; 19-12-2009 at 08:47 PM.

TePe is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

My opinion is that you only have a sale if you need/wish to reduce your stock. As you say pottery can be put aside till later, and with a seconds section already going why have a sale.

I always think that it is so easy to reduce prices to try for a sale, but so hard to get them back up, especially if at a regular venue were you are known.
    regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

"If you feel that no one cares whether your alive or not, try missing a few payments."

AnnieAnna is offline Senior Member Super mega big crafter

Depends on how long you can hang out. I don't reduce prices and I was looking at my stock and I have nothing left I made or bought more than 5 years ago....and I have some pretty odd things. I seem to meet people who say "I've been looking for one of those for years!".
    But I don't make or buy lots of things to start with. If it sells I make or buy more.
    AnnieAnna
    (talking about the www.anniethepedlar.com me)

Seahorse is offline Super Moderator Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!

Hmm, I often think sales are for mass produced shop items.The thing about hand made is that they are unique enough to ask for a proper price all the time.
    Please copy and paste as I cant seem to make them into links.
    https://beta.folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

https://beta.folksy.com/shops/PoisonedAppleJewellery

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Sales are mostly for stock that you want to get rid of...if it's something that hasn't sold, or for end of lines. So if you prefer not to reduce your prices, there's no reason why you should.
    Celia
    I can't be creative and tidy too
    www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
    The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
    Jencel on Facebook

Christmas doesn't seem to be as pivotal anymore as there are now many sales on before Christmas.
    I hadn't thought of doing a sale until you mentioned it but I wont be trying to get my slice of 'sale season mania' because I think my items are fairly priced all year round.
    Of course I am in the fortunate position that glass does not have a sell by date.
    Although many more people buy online now I still think these sales are shop based 'see and grab' impulse purchases.
    Terry xxx
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
    Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

I know what you mean my "sales" being a grab and bag idea. I suppose also that for e-commerce websites generally a sale might be less effective than on the high street as customers still have to pay the p&p and might not make impluse purchases as the items are not at their finger tips so to speak.

SalvageTasha is offline Senior Member 100+ crafts club

Personally I think sales are too commercial for handmade stuff. Also when I see something on sale I tend to think "why hasn't any one bought it". With big high street shops it might just be that they had a load of that item and didn't sell them all. With one off handmade things I'd be concerned why it was on sale.

As we sell knitwear and things like hats and gloves aren't really going to sell that well in the summer months, we have to either store them for next year or get them sold. We might consider reducing our prices a little to encourage people to buy (although that leans into the 'too cheap means rubbish' argument) but I don't think I'd actually advertise this fact.
    http://houseofsalvage.co.uk (includes links to our blog, twitter and etsy shop)
    Our events: http://www.handmade-revolution.co.uk/

Daniella141 is offline Member So much more than a moderate crafter

Hi,

I have decided to have a sale on my website. Not all stock but quite a lot of it. This is simply because I made quite a lot of jewellery on the run up to what I thought was my last weekend of trading 19th/20th Dec. But because of the snow the weekend turned into a disaster and I didn't even get out of the house.
    As January will be a very slow month I thought I would reduce my prices somewhat to encourage some sales as well as clear some of the winter coloured designs that I have. If it shifts it means that I have some pennies to spend on some new gorgeous coloured gems for the Spring/Summer Season and if not I will simply put the stock away and bring it back out next Autumn/Winter.

Thread Information